Badger Mashups

KurtH

Double Actioner
In this thread I will post my Badger projects. This is mostly for documentation, and in case someone down the road has similar ideas, it will be here for someone to find.

Project 1 : The Sotar Single -or- 200 ultra-super-fine-xtreme

The Badger 200G is a gravity feed, internal mix, single action airbrush. There may be others like it, but it is the only one I know of. It uses the same head as the 100 and 150, but the needles are longer, since the needle is moved back and forth from an adjustment knob on the end of the handle. The 200 is also available as a bottom feed airbrush.

2v2J6Uavgx9awpY.jpg

As you probably already know, the Sotar 20/20 is a gravity feed dual action internal mix airbrush, which is optimized for very fine details. It has a new needle/nozzle design. The head design is different from the 100/150/200, but it fits those airbrushes, which opens up some interesting combinations, which Badger does not manufacture. Right here on this forum, DaveG has combined a 100 side-feed with the sotar needle and head to make a side feed Sotar.

Here are the two head designs, the Legend series on top, sotar on the bottom:

2v2J6UaaCx9awpY.jpg

Here are the two airbrushes together

2v2J6Uaunx9awpY.jpg

The problem with simply putting the Sotar head and needle in the 200G is due to the length of the handle on the 200, the Sotar needle is just a bit too short

2v2J6UaeLx9awpY.jpg

It is a little hard to see in the picture but the tip of the needle does not protrude from the tip. Bummer.

The solution would be a longer needle, or a shorter handle. I guess if you were really strong you could stretch the needle. Since that is not practical, the next best thing to do would be to shorten the handle. I am not a machinist, so I can not think of a good way to shorten the handle. It sure would be nice if there was a short handle for the 200.

But wait, there is!

2v2J6UaJqx9awpY.jpg

One day while scouring the USA Airbrush supply site, I stumbled across the 200MT, the 200 Mobile Tech, a 200 bottom feed with a short handle. The handle is available separately, so I figure the Sotar-single action might be possible.

Here is a comparison of the two handles

2v2J6UaHdx9awpY.jpg

So, after moving the adjuster and needle shuck over, and assembling the whole thing, here is the result:

2v2J6UaKnx9awpY.jpg

Just for fun, I also installed the high roller tribber.

So, how does it work? Glad you asked.

after fidling around with air pressure and the needle I was able to make this little space scene doodle, using food coloring:

2v2J6UapFx9awpY.jpg

So, it worked about like I expected, like the Sotar, but single action. It was a lot harder to use, since you could not just pull the trigger back. The high roller trigger also really felt weird on the 200.

So why would you do this? I have no idea. I did it just for fun, since I already have a 200G and a Sotar, and to demonstrate the interchangeability of badger parts. Maybe this will work for someone who wants the fine lines of the Sotar but is unwilling or unable to use a dual action airbrush.

As a post script, using the 200 parts, I created the Sotar GP (general purpose)

2v2J6UabGx9awpY.jpg

Again why would you do such a thing? Maybe if the Badger 100G is too heavy or too big for you? I did not test this mash up, but I thought it was worth documenting.

My other project is not quite as involved, but I figured it would be interesting to document.

I have an Universal 360 I do not use any more. It seemed like a waste to have it sitting in my tool box, so I figured I could make it into something I would use more often. The needle/nozzle setup and internals are shard with the patriot 105 so I decided to do a body swap.

Here is the 360, I bought it back in 2004, and it has been used and abused. I used to not take good care of my airbrushes. It still has the original small trigger, the rubber tip for the trigger is in my toolbox somewhere.

2v2J6UHyCx9awpY.jpg

The Patriot 105 body is available separately, part number 51-0105

2v2J6UH5Lx9awpY.jpg

I took the 360 completely apart

2v2J6UH8nx9awpY.jpg

I cleaned the needle and put the whole thing together in the new body

2v2J6Ua2Cx9awpY.jpg

I also installed a new rubber trigger pad. I like the old trigger with the rubber trigger pad, so I figured I would keep it.

I decided I also liked the Sotar finger/thumb rest, so I ordered one for each of my Badger Airbrushes that it will fit. However, the set screw is not included, and I forgot to order them at the same time. I looked around all my spare fasteners, and found some long 2-56 screws which seemed like they were the right thread size, but having a screw head sticking out of the finger rest would look silly, and probably be uncomfortable. I went to the local hobby store, the store specializes in radio control, so they have all manner of small screws and other hardware. I could not find any 2-56 set screws, the smallest I could find were these 3mm set screws

2v2J6Ua1qx9awpY.jpg

They are somewhat larger in diameter than the Badger screw, but there is enough material in the finger rest to use this larger screw. It uses a 1.5 millimeter hex driver.

So, I present the new/old Patriot 105

2v2J6Ua9Gx9awpY.jpg

They are like playing with an erector set ;)

I put a late 1950's Thayer and Chandler Model A head with adjustable regulator, along with a new/old stock Thayer needle on an older Badger 100GFX body, and it is THE best performing Badger airbrush I have ever owned - hands down.

28279643_1434331053339145_6002292166761259532_n.jpg

Hmm that's interesting. I have a screw checker, I should see what size that setscrew actually is. I found I didn't like the finger rest on my Krome so I removed it.

They are like playing with an erector set ;)

I put a late 1950's Thayer and Chandler Model A head with adjustable regulator, along with a new/old stock Thayer needle on an older Badger 100GFX body, and it is THE best performing Badger airbrush I have ever owned - hands down.

That is a neat airbrush you have created. I have a 100LG I got as part of the birthday sale. I really like it, since it is an old design it is lost in the shuffle of the newer models in the Badger line up.

How does that adjustable regulator work? What does it allow you to do?

Last edited:
The adjustable regulator front cap allows you to fine tune your spray pattern with any given air pressure or paint reduction. If you turn it in till it almost closes off all the air flow over the nozzle, you can produce a very nice stipple pattern. Turning it out alters the relationship of the airflow over the nozzle and needle tip, creating more or less suction (depending on where you have it set). You can change the spray pattern from relatively coarse or grainy looking, to really silky smooth looking just by turning the regulator cap in or out. Generally, you turn it all the way in to establish a base line, then turn it out 2.5 - 3 full turns and test spray with what ever paint you are using, at whatever pressure you have set. You adjust based on the results of the test spray...

27459737_1405247896247461_568952555004121037_n.jpg

The long threaded section, along with a very fie thread pitch make adjustments that are small, and precise -

27540805_1405248046247446_2319881953708040061_n.jpg

Wold was another brush that incorporated this same feature, and it works surprisingly/amazingly well to tune your spray pattern. Love it, and wish someone was still producing this sort of set up. Holbein in Japan was the last that I know of to use it, on the Y-2-dash series of brushes. I have a few of them, and I still prefer the set up on the Thayer, or Wold.

It kinda makes you wonder why they stop making stuff like that. Probably too expensive to manufacture.

Back