Badger Sotar 2020

P

Papajarhead

Just got a email that my Sotar 2020 is on its way, what does everyone think of this brush? I got a really good price on Amazon so am very excited even though im still in the dots and lines learning curve right now, i am airbrushing a brick pattern on my studio wall but that is not fine detail but still a lot of fun. I dont know if it will have a different trigger control than my hp cs but will find out soon. Anything I should know about this new brush? Thanks for the info.

Waiting for one to arrive myself. They're supposed to be very good as long as you reduce your paints properly. Let us know how you get on when it arrives.

Lee

Waiting for one to arrive myself. They're supposed to be very good as long as you reduce your paints properly. Let us know how you get on when it arrives.

Lee

very nice, it will be fun to see what we both can do with it, mine arrives on the 8th.

Just got a email that my Sotar 2020 is on its way, what does everyone think of this brush? I got a really good price on Amazon so am very excited even though im still in the dots and lines learning curve right now, i am airbrushing a brick pattern on my studio wall but that is not fine detail but still a lot of fun. I dont know if it will have a different trigger control than my hp cs but will find out soon. Anything I should know about this new brush? Thanks for the info.
handle it gently,clean it gently pick it up gently. I found them a little too tender (I guess is the word I am looking for) Especially as you are working with a great workhorse now in the CS
parts are not inexpensive so just be a little easy on it. They do work well though .. Not what I would call a beginners brush but have fun with it Keep the pressure up on it say around 20 lbs as this will help with it not loading up on you You can go lower as you get used to it Just my 2 cents
Kurt

Like you I am green with airbrushing, got two of the 20/20 check my profile and follow to the thread of me and ken talking about thinning the paints. The balance of the 20/20 will take some getting used to, even with small hands my trigger finger tends to be on top of the cup.
The box the 20/20 is in will bury your Allen wrench and tip wrench in the layers of foam and felt.

My 20/20 didn't actually like high pressure 18 psi applied stabilized seemed to work best.
Word of advise start with black take an eye dropper amount from a new bottle and put it in a mixing cup, thin that down with the same amount plus another half that with water or thinner
Test a couple of drops ( trust me it goes a long way with the fine tip) this way you can add a drop our two of unthined paint to your mix till you find the best mix.
Make sure to put the other tip on when you get it right your can run hair lines with no problem I've actually used the fingers on the tip touching the paper.

The Sotar, as well as any other finite detail airbrush with a .21 or finer nozzle, will be more sensitive to proper paint thinning and air pressure setting. That is the trial and error part of airbrushing with any airbrush. As you go, in addition to asking the experienced artist of af.org, please email me with any questions/concerns you might have. I'm at kenbadger@aol.com

This may be helpful as well http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/UltimateAirbrush101final.pdf

Back