Bambi compressor help

Steven

Young Tutorling
Hi,
just found the forum and signed up hoping some experienced guys here can help me out. I've never owned a proper compressor, and know very little about them. But I want to start getting serious with my airbrush illustration work.

I recently got my hands on a second hand Bambi BB24V. The price was low enough to grab it and test it out even if it had problems, which it has a few of.
When it arrived some of the compressor & packaging was covered in oil. Probably from the courier.

The air intake filter (and sponge in it) was soaked in oil.
The gauge on the regulator doesn't work.
The motor will run, and the tank will fill up, but I have no idea if it's like new or really slow.

When I release the air (no hose attached) oil is coming out.
I left it sitting for about a week and tried again. Not as much as before, but there's still oil.
Tested it by holding a white napkin beside the regulator/tube connector.
When I used the drain on the first test an droplet of oil came out. There's been nothing since.

Is this a major problem, or is it fixable?

Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Cheers.

@DaveG... can you offer any advise here ?

Welcome aboard Steven, If you head across to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself/ what gear you have/ where you want your journey to take you then that would be appreciated.
As a minimum can you please add your location (just state/country) to your profile as it helps us help you when we offer solutions (suggesting suppliers/outlets etc)

I am not real familiar with the Bambi brand, as they tend to stay across the pond. On the other hand, they are refrigerator pumps connected to air storage tanks, so kind of familiar.

These types of units are normally shipped without oil in them. Most actually fill through the air filer tube, by removing the filter housing, and using a funnel to add the oil to the tube. If they are inverted when full of oil, the oil gets everywhere it is not meant to be - hence the reason they usually ship dry.

I personally would look online for a users manual for the model to see if they had any advice for draining oil - and then do it. I would fill the tank at least partially with air, then open the drain plug to blow any oil accumulated in the air storage tank out. There is a small tube in the air regulator that is supposed to have air in it, which may now be full of oil - so, I would simply replace the gauge, once I was sure I got most of the oil out of the places it did not belong, and refilled it to the correct level. I'd also make sure I was using a good moisture trap and oil filter on the outlet until I was sure there was no more errant oil left in the works...

Edit: I've not looked (mostly because I don't know the exact model) but, there are manuals and guides available here: https://bambi-air.co.uk/downloads/

Last edited:
I am not real familiar with the Bambi brand, as they tend to stay across the pond. On the other hand, they are refrigerator motors connected to air storage tanks, so kind of familiar.

These types of units are normally shipped without oil in them. Most actually fill through the air filer tube, by removing the filter housing, and using a funnel to add the oil to the tube. If they are inverted when full of oil, the oil gets everywhere it is not meant to be - hence the reason they usually ship dry.

I personally would look online for a users manual for the model to see if they had any advice for draining oil - and then do it. I would fill the tank at least partially with air, then open the drain plug to blow any oil accumulated in the air storage tank out. There is a small tube in the air regulator that is supposed to have air in it, which may now be full of oil - so, I would simply replace the gauge, once I was sure I got most of the oil out of the places it did not belong, and refilled it to the correct level. I'd also make sure I was using a good moisture trap and oil filter on the outlet until I was sure there was no more errant oil left in the works...

Edit: I've not looked (mostly because I don't know the exact model) but, there are manuals and guides available here: https://bambi-air.co.uk/downloads/
love your work Dave :)

Thanks for the info & link. After reading the manual I'm a little more hesitant about doing a DIY job on it lol.
I'm in two minds whether to try, or just get a new one so I'm not guessing about replacing possibly worn parts.

These are good compressors.
If it turns on and off, there's not much that can go wrong with it.
It is normal for some oil to come out of the blow-off valve, especially if there is too much in it.
If you throw oil in it, it is important that you do not immediately put it halfway through the sight glass.
but stop at a quarter and wait a few hours and then top up the rest.
A new oil water separator with regulator costs about 20 euros. (example)
https://www.lion-art.nl/Lucht-regelaar-met-vocht-afscheider
Air filter +/_ 10 euros

I think I'm going to get myself a new compressor. It'll relieve a lot of stress and frustration when it come to 2nd guessing my equipment. Then I can totally focus on the art.

Here's a short vid that can explain what I need the compressor to deal with better than I ever could with words lol:

I'll never be working on anything bigger than what's in the vid.
And I'll not be using anything other than acrylic paints (liquitex).

I've also looked at the Iwata & Sparmax compressors, but the Bambi model might be a better choice.
If anyone can confirm it's suitable, or know of any better alternatives in the UK then that'll be awesome.
Like @JackEb said, it's better getting quality performance now so I can enjoy making the art for years to come.
Cheers

For your work, any aibrush compressor with an air tank is sufficient.
If you prefer a silent compressor, the refrigerator models have an advantage.
If you have to move the compressor often, one without oil might be better.
Besides the oil change, this is the only advantage that a compressor without oil has.
They make more noise and get hotter with use.
For both models, the larger the air tank, the less often they turn on.
More time for the air and compressor to cool down (less moisture)

Hay Steven
I think you will be fine just check the oil level if it in the window all's good, it sounds like during on and off the truck the boys tipped it over to far or on is side those refrigerant type compressors are long lasting have a non annoying quite sound they are a little slow to fill largish tanks like you have. With a few cycles the oil should rebate
Just drain the water from the bottom of the air reservoir every 8hrs of working.
And take DaveG advice download the manual

Thanks palk. That's great to know about the oil, and that it's not a serious problem.

I recently learned & did some research about co2 tanks, and managed to find a supplier less than 10mins from my house which is a huge bonus.
They had all sorts of sizes to try, so I got myself a smallish one to experiment with and see how long it'll last.
They sorted me out with a good quality regulator, which was the only additional thing I needed.

Only got to use it briefly, but I'm loving it so far.
Zero noise, super small storage space needed, and I don't have to worry about oil, moisture, duty cycle etc. I just open the valve & go. It's a perfect answer for what I was after.

I have never used compressed bottles for brushing even though I have been surrounded by them all my life. Acetlene, Oxygen, Argon, CO2 & mixtures of helium and LPG.
Most bottles have a cubic meter size on them and it will surprise you how little is in them.

Back