basic motorcycle tank paint question - pre airbrush

I

imatkel

Hello ... I am very new to airbrush ... done a few things with a very cheap airbrush that turned out ok... ready to try more.
Little doubt I'll have more questions in the future and I'm not afraid to botch something up ... always learn something that way.
Anyway ... I want to repaint my motorcycle tank this winter. Right now it has airbrushed masked flames over black with a clear coat.
I know nothing about this paint since it was like that when I bought the bike.
My stupid newbie question is....
reading stuff on the net I keep reading that I need to sand it to metal... (I hate that idea)
Do I really need to take the tank to metal, or can I get away with fine sanding... prime it and lay down a new base coat ?
thanks in advance.
Mike

First... The reasons behind stripping to bare metal in the custom paint world are: Sometimes botched repair work is found under the existing paint that could later compromise the new paint, too many mils can compromise the new finish and I will not warranty my work unless I know what's under it.

Being the owner of the tank, you can probably get away with painting over the existing finish. But, you've been warned... hopefully, the decision won't come back and bite you later...

First... The reasons behind stripping to bare metal in the custom paint world are: Sometimes botched repair work is found under the existing paint that could later compromise the new paint, too many mils can compromise the new finish and I will not warranty my work unless I know what's under it.

Being the owner of the tank, you can probably get away with painting over the existing finish. But, you've been warned... hopefully, the decision won't come back and bite you later...

Thanks for the reply ... I see what you are saying ... BTW .. this whole idea will probably bite me later ... haha
I have arthritis in my hands and a lot of sanding just kills me...
But what you said makes sense so I think I'll take your advise and strip it down ... any paint stripper do it or something special ?

I'd knock it down with 80 grit on a DA. I can't recommend any chemical strippers as I do not use them. Another option to get around the arthritis... have it media blasted if the option is available in your area.

awesome ... have a DA .... and I have all winter to screw this up ... I appreciate your advice.
Have a great evening !
Mike
Missouri

Ya... Soda Blast, clean/degrease, self etching primer, paint, airbrush, urethane clear..... good to go.

Back