Be carefull with what you wish for "or" HELP!!!

• Thread starter John Michael Streithorst
  • Start date
J

John Michael Streithorst

Ok, so I asked for an AB for my birthday, and GOT TWO!!

1) Iwata HP-CS (with a 0.35 and 0.5 needles)
2) Badger Renegade Krome ( with a 0.21 and 0.33 needles)

So... being a totally unexpirienced ABer and wanting to start with the AB control tutorials right away, I have no idea what to use. So HELP, I GOT WHAT I WAS ASKING FOR.

I will use GOLDEN Carbon Black for the exercises. Tips on dilution and air pressure?

Thank you, in advance.

I would start with the Eclipse. It is more forgiving and in my opinion a better brush anyway.
Just stick with leaving the needle cap on, I bent a few needles and flared a few nozzles in the beginning because I took mine off.
If you are referring to Golden High Flow, I generally start with about 5 drops of reducer and 1 drop of paint.
I just recently tried Golden, it seems to give problems with more tip dry I would prefer. I am going to play around with it some more before I commit to buying more.

It is not "high flow", only says "fluid acrylic" and to dilute 1:1 when brushing. 30 PSI undiluted was a very helpfull tip.

I just dismantled and lubed the Iwata HP-CS and the Badger Renegade Krome. Dispite Krome' nicer looking box, I got the feeling (totally and admittedly unqualified) that the Iwata is a better/sturdier product.

Moreover, i think my Badger 0.21 needle is already crooked.

So, Iwata with a 0.35 will be my "axe of choice", at least for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks!

Note for trial... the smaller nozzle size may not like the golden... I found (using the high flow) my smaller nozzle wasn't happy with it but it could have been crap in the paint. You will need to reduce the fluid more with the smaller nozzle. The high flow has a finer pigment which helps it flow. The golden should be good for practice and may well be suitable for other work but I've not used it. The iwata is a great brush!!

I love my HP-CS, its a great brush.

What I like to do when I use a new paint is start with undiluted paint right out of the bottle and spray some practice strokes at about 5psi, then increase the psi by 5, do the same practice strokes, increase by 5psi and repeat. I continue this process until I get to around 40psi.

Then, I add some reducer to my paint and repeat that entire process again using slightly reduced paint (1:1), and then add some more reducer and do the same process again with reduced paint (2:1) and finally add more reducer and repeat this process again with over-reduced paint (4:1). You can keep going, doing way over reduced paint (6:1) or more, if you want.

This seems like a tedious process, and it is, but it gives me an idea how that paint will spray and the best psi range for a given reduction. The rub, of course, being that this won't give you an accurate picture of how the paint will spray in every season, or at every barometric pressure, or at all humidities, or with all substrates. So while useful to get a general sense of the paint, it will vary in performance from day to day and paper to paper, but it does give you a good starting point.

I've never used golden so I can't give you any kind of recommendation specific to that paint, but the above process should help you become more familiar with a given brand/type of paint, especially if you've never used it before.

I would also suggest heading over to the introduction section
http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
and letting us know where in the world you are and what you want to use the airbrush for, (artwork/models/vehicles) etc etc, it will help us give you some more specific advice.

It is not "high flow", only says "fluid acrylic" and to dilute 1:1 when brushing. 30 PSI undiluted was a very helpfull tip.

I just dismantled and lubed the Iwata HP-CS and the Badger Renegade Krome. Dispite Krome' nicer looking box, I got the feeling (totally and admittedly unqualified) that the Iwata is a better/sturdier product.

Moreover, i think my Badger 0.21 needle is already crooked.

So, Iwata with a 0.35 will be my "axe of choice", at least for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks!
Hi John, I have used Golden Fluid Acrylics but you have to add Golden Airbrush Medium for airbrushing (it's in the name :D:laugh:) otherwise your on a none starter. For basic practise when you don't want to keep the end result you could use bottled water BUT you will need the Airbrush Medium when you start painting pictures/models/whatever. Golden Fluids are too thick for airbrushing alone and you would have to use a lot of water to get it to flow from the airbrush and the water will compromise the binders in the paint after about 20%. Golden tell you to mix Golden Fluid Paint and Airbrush Medium 50:50 for airbrushing purposes. You can always add more Airbrush Medium because it has the same binders as the paint and therefore won't compromise it. You can then add a little bottled water to the Paint/Medium mix to thin it a little more if needed. Does that make sense? o_O:D

Golden Fluid Acrylics with Golden Airbrush Medium are brilliant for Tshirt airbrushing which is what I used them for but you can use them for anything really. Check out the Golden website for loads of detail information on their products.

Oh and definitely start with the Iwata HP-CS, it's a great airbrush and will stand the test of time. I love my HP-SBS Eclipse :D

Do as Melbee said and you should be on the right track,golden's website also has a great paint mixing area you can use

Back