Be gentle, first piccys

jazzkat

Double Actioner
Hi guys.
Here's my first 'proper' attempts. Prior to this it's been lots of lines dots and a few practice pieces.
This was done with frisket and is all masked except for the black outline which was done with a sharpie after it was all finished.

roadrunner.jpg
The next one I did was done with the aid of a stencil. All the black is from the stencil. I went too dark too soon and couldn't attempt any real detail but it came out ok in the end.
tiger.jpg
This is my latest. A bit of stencil but lots of freehand.
Not completely successful and lots of setbacks but it's early days. I think my aspirations outweigh my talent, ha ha.
It's a steep learning curve for sure!

eagle.jpg

Not bad at all. I understand going too dark too soon on the tiger. Easy to do, but with practice you can avoid that. The eagle is pretty darn good considering you probably can’t scratch on that paper to create some texture. Frisket, masks, and stencils are all tools of the trade and you’re using them well. You’re off to a good start :thumbsup:
Practice practice practice, remember what you did that worked (or otherwise), and you can’t help but improve!

I'm a fluent hairy brush artist, and extremely new to AB but what I have learnt straight out of the box is to just dust your stencils, then get stuck into it, but if your initial spray is dark and heavy then there you go the rest will follow, nice work and hopefully this forum will help you on your journey,,, peace

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
It's all too easy to stand back and say to yourself, you're no good at this give it up. As a musician I know and appreciate the time you need to spend to improve, I assume it's the same with this. I'm determined to get better though.
Indeed it IS just like learning music, just with a different instrument. As a kid I used to play the clarinet, took quite some time to play well and figuring out how to blow through the instrument properly. The airbrush is similar if not exactly the same. Unless of course you are too cheap to buy an air compressor lol

Jazzcat, it is all about values, use your eye and don't let it lie to you... values as in 1 being darkest 10 being lightest ... once you can look at a subject and coral it into its desired value then you are set... some will disagree but as an artist I don't really ever touch black for contrast or shadow, hope this helps stay true to what your eye is looking at :) peace

I can't say much about the first one, as that was just solid colors through a stencil.

However, the differences between #2 and#3 are noticeable. You are obviously grasping the concepts of shadows and texture. Keep at it. You are doing well!

As many great folks here have said to me, paint what you see. Look at every portion of the painting and paint the shapes that are there. Try not to think too much. You're doing great! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The ambition and talent is there, but you will need to build up your practice the right way. The more complicated a subject interacts with a background, the more difficult (and frustrating) it is is... it requires patience you may not have yet. Focusing on objects to paint - without background- may help to progress faster (whilst keeping the motivation). Scales before the circle of fifth.

That is a nice start. I would suggest 30 min. a day of dagger strokes, dots, and different airbrush handling techniques. just so you get that feeling that you have control over your airbrush. I do it. When i sit down to paint I spend a little time warming up every time. I would also cation you about stencils, not to say you shouldn't use them just that they should be used sparingly. It is very easy to feel like you need a stencil to produce. That's how i was when i started.

Thank you all so much for your advice and compliments. I am determined to be good at this!:D
I have always done dots and daggers and lines etc but now I am doing them everyday as a warm up.

Finding projects that are within my grasp are difficult but I'm not really afraid of being out of my depth and having a bit of a disaster. I am able to look at something and think while one bit isn't good, I'm really pleased with this other bit.

Here's my latest painting.
I wanted to try painting on a hard surface and has some plywood lying about (hence the "interesting" texture).
I used a stencil for the big shapes and free handed everything else. I had a few big mistakes happen but that's the way you learn.:thumbsup:

Sorry about the quality of the photo but it was really hard to get a good picture without too much reflection/glare.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1407.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1407.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 39
Think the tiger looks great! I know you had set backs but you must of learnt something from them and that’s what it’s all about. I’m still making day 1 week 1 mistakes lol

A nice pic of Celine. I will have a proper look when I'm home as the phone doesn't give you a great representation of the subject. On first looks though you have done pretty good.
@Steve some of us still do the same little mistakes even after many years. It just happens. More success than mistakes.

Now I'm home and can check it on the pc what I could see on my phone was the reflection of the wood texture. It actually makes it look like its raining in the pic which looks right as the film had a lot of rainy scenes :)

Back