Beginner clouds - pics - help wanted

D

Dag

Hey, guys!

From waves, over to clouds.

I wanted to make som realistic looking clouds. I wanted the main cloud in the center to be back-lit (have the sun behind it).

Im not quite happy about it, and since I got so many great tips on my last post, I'll try again!:)

Attached is the painting. I have also taken two closeups ( about 1" by 1" each). The whole thing is a little more than A4 in size.

What I did:
(Createx Illustration Colors)
- Sprayed the whole thing with a sky blue (white/blue 5/1)
- Sprayed the dark parts of where I wanted the clouds (white/blue/black 2/5/2, although not quite sure about ratio)
- Started working around the cloud with white and a small stencil. Moving the stencil while spraying in some places, to make it softer. Going over many times. Some freehanding here and there where I wanted something emphasized. Turning the stencil the other way, and spraying more "away" from the cloud in the parts where I wanted it to be backlit.
- Going over the bottom part lightly with some heavily reduced red.
- Going over the middle and top part lightly with some heavily reduced purple. I also used some transparent base for the purple.
- Going over with white for highlighted areas.

There are obvious errors and flaws, but this is a practice piece. I would love tips about how to make it better.

I find that when using a color to tint my whites, the whole thing gets very "muddy" (in lack of better words), and I have to make all the details one more time afterwards. The transparent base - how do I use it? Its really thick, and makes my airbrush spit and clog heavily. Even with 0.4 mm needle and high pressure (50 PSi). Is it supposed to be like this? In the last closeup, you can see an area where there are chunks of purple, doesnt look good.

- Dag

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 2014-08-17 12.37.15.jpg
    2014-08-17 12.37.15.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 2014-08-17 13.18.12.jpg
    2014-08-17 13.18.12.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 55
Transparent base is used to increase transparency of a color. When you over reduce a color and it wants to break apart or is too thin, this thickens it up while maintaining that tranparency. it's also used as a protective top coat like an intercoat clear. Your muddy paint is possibly due to the fact that the illustration paints are rewettable and hasn't cured before you started layering more colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transparent base is used to thicken paint that has been heavily reduced so that it stays together and doesn't fall apart. Basically it's a clear basecoat used to stabilize watery paint.

Thanks, Mel mentioned something like this yesterday also.

So, if I want to tint the underlying white, I should do the following:
- X amount of reducer.
- small amount of wanted color.
- Transparent base untill I get milky consistency again.

Is this correct? And this will help to give a clean tint instead of the "muddy" look I described above?

Don't need it unless you reduce the paint over 300% but yes that's basically correct. Also which reducer are you using? If you use the high performance reducer the rewetability and eraseability are both shortened vs using the illustration reducer.

Thanks, Mel mentioned something like this yesterday also.

So, if I want to tint the underlying white, I should do the following:
- X amount of reducer.
- small amount of wanted color.
- Transparent base untill I get milky consistency again.

Is this correct? And this will help to give a clean tint instead of the "muddy" look I described above?
Creepy you got my original post before I modified it because didn't think I was clear enough lol.

Creepy you got my original post before I modified it because didn't think I was clear enough lol.

Nah, you were clear enough:) Yeah, I use the illustration reducer, and when I only want a descrete tint - I use a lot more than 300% reducer too.

I actually started mixing right after your first post, I am going to go over the clouds one more time using your tips!:)

When you say trasparent base, do you man the createx transparent base or the illustrator base? I use the illustrator base to reduce createx (the t-shirt kind) to make it sprayable through my 0,35. This works even at low presure.

But then again, I am a newbee, this may just be bad for some other reason...

When you say trasparent base, do you man the createx transparent base or the illustrator base? I use the illustrator base to reduce createx (the t-shirt kind) to make it sprayable through my 0,35. This works even at low presure.

Hi, the bottle says Illustration transparent base. It makes the paint a LOT thicker is seems.

Don't need it unless you reduce the paint over 300% but yes that's basically correct. Also which reducer are you using? If you use the high performance reducer the rewetability and eraseability are both shortened vs using the illustration reducer.

Gotta say, your post really helped. Now it works just the way I wanted, and the clouds come together in a better way than they did before:)

Createx base is for the createx line only since it has different resins but same principle applies. Try to use the same system for maximum compatibility. Createx line isn't compatible with their AA wicked and illustrator lines.

to be honest i like what you call the 'muddy' areas , clouds dont exactly look clean :) , i recently bought some of the createx paints to try and have had a similar problem trying to paint a nebula with them (too thick for the badger 2.5 ) - i had to use the el cheapo chinese copy thing that came with my compressor - i also use a hairdryer between layers to fix it as im one of those 'cant wait' people.

Reactions: Dag
Looks great! I'm with you on the can't wait for it to dry syndrome, I don't have the patience. Keep up the great work.

I think this is a case of beauty is in the eye off the beholder :p. I know the feeling when something doesn't turn out exactly as you wanted to but someone else (like me in this case :)) doesn't see what you would have wanted to turnout differently.

I'd love to give some hints/tips but the only thing I can come up with is keep an eye on the way those light ray's are angled. You have a center where the sun is and all light ray's should radiate from that point.

Other than that those clouds look excelent, I'd be pretty happy with those! That 1st close up looks like a reference to me and in the 2nd it's only those little spiders that give it away.

I agree with haasje, I would be proud of those clouds, they look great to me brilliant result, clouds are not easy to paint.

Keep up the good work.

:)

Thank you guys! I cant help but feel like the big, middle cloud looks like a "blob".

I like some parts though. I'll make some other clouds with other colors now, maybe I'll post them here afterwards.

Now that Immortal and Mel made me understand how to use transparent base, I think they'll get a lot better:)

- Dag

I think it looks really great! I nearly always use cotton wool for clouds, rip it in a random shape, then stretch it out until it starts to get really thin, wispy and, holey. A simple way to create awesome texture, that you can freehand on to build some cool clouds. Not that you need to do that, you seem to have got clouds licked. I wouldn't worry about the shapes, clouds are pretty random and they look great to me.

Well done on the cloud bit!
If you're really after some ideas on this one check out the tutorials done by our fearless leader, MITCH.
There's some really useful tips and you get to see first hand how it's done.
If I remember correctly there are 3 vids on this one, all good stuff.

Sorry, technical hitch happening here.
Damn ISP.
I'll have to reek revenge on them for their laziness.

Back