For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Beginner help- what budget kit for leather

Discussion in 'Beginners help' started by Deam, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Deam

Deam Young Tutorling

Hi

I work a lot with leather (amongst other things) as a hobby. I’m disabled and I don’t have a lot of spare money but I’d love to start airbrushing my leatherwork. I’m in the UK.

It’s not going to be something that I do with every piece but I’d like to do some artwork on some pieces or to use stencils. I’ve got lots of acrylic paints for leather but sometimes working with a brush it’s hard to get the effects I’d like.

Can any of you lovely folks advise on decent starter sets along with compressors?

thanks

Deam
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Mod Very Likeable!

Hi Deam, could you be kind enough and introduce yourself here:
    https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

If you don't know know what to write in your introduction, check few other introductions so you get an idea. We all made an introduction, so you will get idea

Welcome dragon.jpg
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Deam

Deam Young Tutorling

No probs Huskystafford, I love your dragon, I may have to sneak in and steal him some dark moonless night
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  4. huskystafford

When I first joined to this forum @Mr.Micron hunted me down(He asked me to make my introduction), cause I didn't do my introduction. :D It was all new to me and I was a little confused what to do or what to not. I feel you :laugh:
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin SuperMod Very Likeable!

Dean
    An Iwata Eclipse is worth the priced being it is a real work horse of an airbrush. The CS version is gravity feed and come with a .35 set up which with practice can do fine detail .or the BCS siphon feed is .5 set up . But being you a highlander and I am a old damn Yankee living in the US I can not recommend to you as to where to buy. I do know Donna of Maple leaf art and the boys at spraygunner.com both ship world wide I am not sure about thing like import taxes and all that so maybe someone who lives in your area will be able to steer you to a local seller.
    SiRoxx, jord001 and Deam like this.
  6. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin SuperMod Very Likeable!

Yes then I trained you up and sent you on the hunt now, so I can just sit back and drink my shine in piece. :D
    LadyCharlie, Deam, JackEb and 2 others like this.
  7. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Hi @Deam Mr.Micron has suggested a good airbrush. Although not a cheap one it's not mega expensive but excellent quality and will last a lifetime. Cheapest reliable place we have found here in England is Air-craft.net
    https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Eclipse-HP-CS.html#SID=1164

You may find it a fraction cheaper at other places but having personally used Air-craft.net I can recommend them and their service.

Lee
    Deam, JackEb and SiRoxx like this.
  8. huskystafford

I am just wondering jord. Why nobody recommends eclipse sbs? Cause cup is to small? Or is there something else? I didn't try gravity feed, cause I thought cup will be in a way, but I keep wondering if I did a mistake. I have side feed and bottom feed. Should I get gravity feed? -.-
    Also I wonder if people still use gravity feed when they go to more expensive tiers like micron for example.
    Deam and jord001 like this.
  9. jord001

Dunno mate, for some reason I seem to ignore the other models I can't speak for other folks, probably the big gravity feed cup is the one most people buy. It's strange that I don't like the CM-C but have the HP-B+ as my goto brush, I love my Micron SB and I have the Olympos Micron b which is nice. Then I also love the DeVillbiss Super 63 A, with no cup at all on those. BUT if I brought an eclipse i'd buy the CS. I do have some 'c' cups and like them too, I have the Richpen 113 and the 213 Mojo and I have the Paasche Talon. So I don't know why lol Thats a lot of babbling on to say I don't know but I can talk for England..

Lee
  10. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Husky has hit the nail on the head. As far as the U.K. goes, Air-craft.net has the best prices for Airbrushes. They’re also great people to deal with, Martin is the owner and is very good to reply to emails with enquiries and such. The guys have set you on the right path, the Eclipse range from Iwata is the go to for textile work and pretty much any other work for that matter.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    jord001, Deam and huskystafford like this.
  11. SiRoxx

I’ve always favoured the larger cup size ;)
  12. huskystafford

Deam, so we don't confuse you to much, this is what we are talking about
    [​IMG]
    SiRoxx, jord001, doc1 and 2 others like this.
  13. huskystafford

I can put bigger cup on my side feed, so next argument please :laugh:
    Actually I have 5 of the big white ones ones I think...
    [​IMG]

I do wonder if you get some shadows from your light on your work bench cause of gravity cup, cause I don't get it on my sbs - Deam, sbs means side feed Iwata brush

Any more pros of gravity feed vs side feed, cause I am planning to buy an airbrush and I was wanting to try gravity feed, but I don't wanna waste my money? Also I would like to add, this is not off-topic, cause Deam gets info, which will come handy to her.

I really do wonder why so many recommend cs(gravity feed) instead of sbs(side feed). Do we have anybody here, which has both of them?

Deam, both of those airbrushes has the same needle and nozzle. The only difference is how paint is delivered.

Bottom feed on other hand has larger nozzle and needle, but you can convert it to the same size like cs and sbs if you get nozzle and needle of the size of cs or sbs.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    LadyCharlie, jord001 and Deam like this.
  14. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Great question Husky. I started with gravity feeds, saw people here praise SBS brushes, I thought I would have problems with the weight on the side. Fast forward a few years (and many $$) I now have multiple brushes and my side feed is my go to brush. Yes it’s a micron, but I also have a Gravity feed micron that rarely gets used.

If all my brushes got stolen I’d replace my Micron side feed and instead of getting another Eclipce CS (gravity) I’d get it with a side feed.
  15. huskystafford

Well I suspect, I do want to emphasize it's just my suspection, that CS is ''the best of eclipse series'', cause all of the hype around it. I seen CS everywhere on you tube, especially on those videos which I watch. But I was wondering if sbs come to the market later down the road when CS was already very established airbrush on the market. Cause I just can't get it, why it would be better. Unless it would be able to make better lines then sbs, which is not the case. At least to my knowledge.

Not to mention of versabillity of sbs. You can spray straight down or straight up with sbs, you can change cups, you can have cleaner in one cup paint in other, water in third so cleaning process is easy.

But speaks a lot of volume when you Jackie, told us, if you would buy another eclipse you would go to sbs from cs. I understand this is individual preference. I mean seriously, how much paint do you really need in a cup? I am doing t-shirts and I am always left with left overs in the small cup in my sbs. If I would need bigger cup I would use plastic bottle for it. My bcs doesn't get used any more lately.

I will definitely watch this thread, cause I am very interested in this.
    jord001 likes this.
  16. huskystafford

why?
    jord001 likes this.
  17. jord001

I don't know! But I think now I would consider the other options a little more.

Edit: I shouldnt be buying any more anyway I have enough already. :) AAD No airbrush left behind

lee
    JackEb, SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  18. SiRoxx

That is a great question. I guess I started with a gravity feed because the guys I watched used them and I didn’t know any better, then stuck with them because I don’t have any reason to change. Not that there isn’t a reason, just not one that effects me.
    jord001 likes this.
  19. huskystafford

your shed address? :ninja:

[​IMG]
    :laugh:
    jord001 and LadyCharlie like this.
  20. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Call before you arrive at the airport and I’ll give you my address.
    My number is 1800.not.a.chance