Beginner here

If I may ask where on this planet do you live and where did you buy the paint?
I know Hobby Lobby here in the USA sells both the W100 (older version ) and the W500 ( Newest version ) of Wicked's Reducer. Either will work for Wicked paint but the W500 is way better then the W100 in most peoples opinion.
They also make a version designed for the new CandyO2 but you can use it with Wicked and even the Illustration paints that is automotive in design and contains acetone to aid with fastest dry time and a lot better flow.
The water based world of paint is getting about as choice crazy as the urethane LOL.
But through a .3 set up 3 to 1 should work for you. If that compressor has a gauge on it see what it is dropping to when you have air on (on the airbrush)
If it shows 25 PSI then with a 3 foot standard hose that comes with most of the studio compressor you should have 18 to 20.
As long as you put in the practice time and as Craig Fraser says and most of the pros out there it is all practice LOL
I'm in Missouri. Hobby Lobby is where I bought the paint. I had the kids with me so I couldn't actually go through and read the bottles I just seen a label called Reducer and grabbed it along with Jet Black to practice with. I did just run out to the shop and it is W100 reducer.
I'm not sure how I can test the air pressure at the brush, the compressor itself does not have a gauge and the line is so small. Do they make a gauge small for the lines? The compressor is just a small box type with a on/off button. Nothing fancy. Like I said, I just got the cheapest one to practice with...

I'm in Missouri. Hobby Lobby is where I bought the paint. I had the kids with me so I couldn't actually go through and read the bottles I just seen a label called Reducer and grabbed it along with Jet Black to practice with. I did just run out to the shop and it is W100 reducer.
I'm not sure how I can test the air pressure at the brush, the compressor itself does not have a gauge and the line is so small. Do they make a gauge small for the lines? The compressor is just a small box type with a on/off button. Nothing fancy. Like I said, I just got the cheapest one to practice with...
Well for just starting out it will do fine , I would just assume that at best it is putting 15PSI to the airbrush at any given time and see how that goes. after the first 3 drops of reducer and 1 drop of paint I would just add one drop at a time until you get the flow you think it should have.
I also might suggest going to Wally world and picking up one of those cheap pancake compressor due to you said you have kids so they come in handy either way for thing like bike tires , Basket ball and foot balls :D
But those have gauges and you can adjust them a lot better and for the most part they are not that loud unless you are painting inside you house .

Those ratios mentions should be used as a starting point. There is no magic reducing formula as there are too many variables. Then you can tweak as needed, what was spot on yesterday, may need an extra drop today.
If you really want to get into this, my advice is to get a better brush. It will make it so much easier to learn, as it will perform consistently. The cheap guns are made with inferior materials and machining, usually don't work as well as they should, and damage easily. A better brush will have resale value, so should you decide its nit for you, you can get some money back. Then there is the probability that you will end up buying a good brush anyway, and then wonder why you struggled for so long (I'm not bitter lol)
Thanks for the info. I started looking online lastnight after these comments. I've been watching a few guys online airbrush and it's always fascinated me, figured I'd try my hand at it. Sounds like I messed up buying a cheapo airbrush though lol

Well for just starting out it will do fine , I would just assume that at best it is putting 15PSI to the airbrush at any given time and see how that goes. after the first 3 drops of reducer and 1 drop of paint I would just add one drop at a time until you get the flow you think it should have.
I also might suggest going to Wally world and picking up one of those cheap pancake compressor due to you said you have kids so they come in handy either way for thing like bike tires , Basket ball and foot balls :D
But those have gauges and you can adjust them a lot better and for the most part they are not that loud unless you are painting inside you house .
I'll look into that. Wish my big 6.5hp shop compressor would work for an airbrush LOL.
I'll just play with those ratios and see what I can come up with. I figured if these are like my spray guns then the cheaper ones won't work so well, I do appreciate the information and plan on practicing more here in a bit

I'll look into that. Wish my big 6.5hp shop compressor would work for an airbrush LOL.
I'll just play with those ratios and see what I can come up with. I figured if these are like my spray guns then the cheaper ones won't work so well, I do appreciate the information and plan on practicing more here in a bit
It will work for an airbrush . In my garage I have a 250 gallon that I use for almost everything to include airbrush. I just adjust the pressure on it for what I am using it for.
I also have a Silent-aire 50 compressor that I use in the winter in the basement of the house for when it is to cold in the garage being it is heat but not well insulated .
Nothing wrong with started off on a good price I always suggest on any hobby only spend what you are will to lose . In case you find it is not your cup ot tea .

It will work for an airbrush . In my garage I have a 250 gallon that I use for almost everything to include airbrush. I just adjust the pressure on it for what I am using it for.
I also have a Silent-aire 50 compressor that I use in the winter in the basement of the house for when it is to cold in the garage being it is heat but not well insulated .
Nothing wrong with started off on a good price I always suggest on any hobby only spend what you are will to lose . In case you find it is not your cup ot tea .
I'm going to practice more and play with the ratios. If I find that I'm getting better then I'll look into a fitting to run it off my big compressor. I just want to get the basics down and then I'll look into a better set up. If I can't do anything with this brush then I'll look into getting a better one. Just learn the basics first and go from there. I do appreciate the information though, that was very helpful and hopefully it'll make this cheap brush work better!

You should be able to just pull a nipple off one of your air tools and attach it to the airbrush line . That is all I have to do . Only other thing I did was put a pistol grip moisture trap on the airbrush to make sure I kept water out of the line .
The only thing about the cheap brushes is they are hit or miss , Some have them that are a huge hit and work like the named brand ones other get the lemon of the bunch .
But use it get a feeling for it and if the bug really hits you print that 40% off coupon and head to hobby lobby and buy the Iwata Eclispe CS or BCS the differences are the CS is gravity feed and come standard with a .35 nozzle/ needle set up and the BCS is a bottom feed (shipon feed) and comes standard with a .5 nozzle/needle set up. But you can buy the parts at Hobby Lobby to convert them either way so you can have a .35 BCS or a .5 CS.

But like I said try attaching one of the inlet nipples to the airline of your big compressor and it should work just fine.

You should be able to just pull a nipple off one of your air tools and attach it to the airbrush line . That is all I have to do . Only other thing I did was put a pistol grip moisture trap on the airbrush to make sure I kept water out of the line .
The only thing about the cheap brushes is they are hit or miss , Some have them that are a huge hit and work like the named brand ones other get the lemon of the bunch .
But use it get a feeling for it and if the bug really hits you print that 40% off coupon and head to hobby lobby and buy the Iwata Eclispe CS or BCS the differences are the CS is gravity feed and come standard with a .35 nozzle/ needle set up and the BCS is a bottom feed (shipon feed) and comes standard with a .5 nozzle/needle set up. But you can buy the parts at Hobby Lobby to convert them either way so you can have a .35 BCS or a .5 CS.

But like I said try attaching one of the inlet nipples to the airline of your big compressor and it should work just fine.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I have some time this morning so I'm going to start off with a 3:1 ratio and go from there.
Also, I've noticed some people take that needle cap off when airbrushing, does that make a difference?

Yes and NO !!
For someone starting out I will strongly suggest that you leave it on . It is too easy to hit the needle against something and bend it even on the higher end brushes .
But it allow you to see the needle better which give you a better line of sight which in turn gives you more control on super fine lines.
Let me know how the 3 to 1 works and what you end up have to do to reduce it far enough for it to flow smooth .
Also make notes , I have a note book in my area of the garage I set up for painting where I write the color and reduction and that days temps and humidity mainly just to see how much conditions effect the paint and spraying.

Yes and NO !!
For someone starting out I will strongly suggest that you leave it on . It is too easy to hit the needle against something and bend it even on the higher end brushes .
But it allow you to see the needle better which give you a better line of sight which in turn gives you more control on super fine lines.
Let me know how the 3 to 1 works and what you end up have to do to reduce it far enough for it to flow smooth .
Also make notes , I have a note book in my area of the garage I set up for painting where I write the color and reduction and that days temps and humidity mainly just to see how much conditions effect the paint and spraying.
I'll do that. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge in my shop so I'll definitely make notes. That's a very good idea. Thanks!

Hmmm, tried the 3:1 (reducer to paint) ratio and it looks very runny and alot of overspray. Trying to upload a picture now

Here is a photo of it. Sorry the quality may not be good. Can't upload a decent size photo on here...

Attachments

• sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 5
Looks like you need to work on spray direction , By the looks of it you are holding your airbrush off to an angle which will cause more over spray . Plus the material looks grainy which will trap more over spray then say something smooth.
Have you watched Mitch's aka AirbrushTutors youttube video? you can find them here https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor/videos
But other then learning the paint and how your equipment works together you are off to a great start .
We have all been where you are when we started , I use to think the pros made it look so easy then found out how hard it was and just stuck with it and but more time into it .

Hmmm, tried the 3:1 (reducer to paint) ratio and it looks very runny and alot of overspray. Trying to upload a picture now

That is normal if you didn't lower your pressure to suit your thinning, generally the thinner your paint is the lower your pressure will be, it takes a little getting used to but this will come as you practice.

When you upload they are fine if they are under 1mb, check the attributes of your images and if they exceed this you can resize them in any photo editing software or programs like Microsoft paint.

And welcome to the forum;)

Looks like you need to work on spray direction , By the looks of it you are holding your airbrush off to an angle which will cause more over spray . Plus the material looks grainy which will trap more over spray then say something smooth.
Have you watched Mitch's aka AirbrushTutors youttube video? you can find them here https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor/videos
But other then learning the paint and how your equipment works together you are off to a great start .
We have all been where you are when we started , I use to think the pros made it look so easy then found out how hard it was and just stuck with it and but more time into it .
I'm using a piece of glass, watched a video where the guy said to use a picture frame, use white paper and put dots on it and a circle and a box, then practice on the glass because you can scrape the paint off and have a clean fresh surface again.
I'll check out that video you suggested. I do want to get this, just trying to figure out this brush and why my spray pattern looks so horrible lol

That is normal if you didn't lower your pressure to suit your thinning, generally the thinner your paint is the lower your pressure will be, it takes a little getting used to but this will come as you practice.

When you upload they are fine if they are under 1mb, check the attributes of your images and if they exceed this you can resize them in any photo editing software or programs like Microsoft paint.

And welcome to the forum;)
I may have to upgrade the compressor as the one I have is non adjustable. Didn't realize there was so much to this. I'll get it, just need to keep practicing

I may have to upgrade the compressor as the one I have is non adjustable. Didn't realize there was so much to this. I'll get it, just need to keep practicing

Just don't think about giving up, once you start to understand a little of how it works it's actually tremendous fun, I know that my self because I have given up several times and now I have equipment that suits me and it's fun all the time now, if you are aiming for another better quality brush, I would highly recommend the Eclipse, I know someone suggested the the Neo, but the problem with the Neo is that if it needs parts those parts are just as expensive as the higher range Iwatas so it makes sense to to just for the higher range to start with since those are not as finicky as the Neo.

If your compressor isn't adjustable you can lower your pressure by means of an in line micro air control fitting or MAC as we call them, they are not expensive and it looks like this;

download.jpg

I'm using a piece of glass, watched a video where the guy said to use a picture frame, use white paper and put dots on it and a circle and a box, then practice on the glass because you can scrape the paint off and have a clean fresh surface again.
I'll check out that video you suggested. I do want to get this, just trying to figure out this brush and why my spray pattern looks so horrible lol
LOL that sounds like one that the SeaMonkey posted up who is a member here .
What he fail to say is he is spraying at about 5 psi , Why cause on slick surfaces like glass paint will skate and blow out but if you can master painting on glass you can paint damn near anything that will hold paint.

I suggest just getting some printer paper or catch one of the back to school sells and buy just note book paper for a penny :D Yes making learning affordable is a great thing. Also if you have a dollar Tree you can get a good sized piece of poster board for just a buck .

That is the spirit and remember we are here for you .
try just hooking it to your big compressor I am sure it has a PSI dial to adjust the pressure and help take out all the guess work on what the one that came with the kits is really doing.

LOL that sounds like one that the SeaMonkey posted up who is a member here .
What he fail to say is he is spraying at about 5 psi , Why cause on slick surfaces like glass paint will skate and blow out but if you can master painting on glass you can paint damn near anything that will hold paint.

I suggest just getting some printer paper or catch one of the back to school sells and buy just note book paper for a penny :D Yes making learning affordable is a great thing. Also if you have a dollar Tree you can get a good sized piece of poster board for just a buck .
I will move on from the glass then lol. Maybe that's why my lines look so runny. Never even thought about that. I have a sketchbook and printer paper so I'll try it out on that. Thought the glass thing was a good idea because being able to clean it off and go again but makes sense about the paint sliding around.

Back