Bell Scout Air Helmet

Ttxela

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello Folks

I've been asked to paint a Bell open face helmet. The shell is something called "Tri-Matrix Composite". The Bell website indicates the helmet can be painted with acrylics;

"WARNING about PAINTING !
Paint can react with helmet shell material and affect its protective capacity. The outer shell of the helmet is constructed of thermo set composite materials and finished with a polyurethane coating. It should only be repainted by an experienced and qualified painter with high quality air drying acrylic or polyurethane enamel. In no case should the helmet be dismantled during painting. Paint requiring heat curing should not be used. Paint penetrating the interior of the helmet can affect the performances of the helmet liner and other components."

The owner wants to match specific Kawasaki colours .

This seems a pretty popular helmet so I'm just wondering if anyone had painted one before with a successful paint system so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?

TIA :)

Mainly light scuff , Paint and clear . As long as you just give the paint a tooth to stick too and not try to sand through the main coating you will be fine.
In the USA we have to protect the DOT sticker on it other wise it is deemed unsafe for use , Same if the owner take the stick off the helmet .

I believe that a lot of helmets have that same information on them. It makes sense as the manufacturer won’t know what after market paints are being used and in theory they could effect the material. My theory is that if I scuff the existing finish and paint over that, then none of the new paint would penetrate to the composite material. That said I don’t know if the clear would, my guess is not, but I don’t know that for a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mr Micron & SiRoxx, sounds simple enough. Now I just need to work out how to match the Kawasaki paint!

Back