Bent needle tip

J

JCD

Well it didn't take long for me to mess up my brush.

I decided to break it down for a good cleaning and when I pulled the needle out parts of the brush fell out.

I spent a good hour trying to figure out how the damn thing went back together.

I finally got the rocker and trigger back in but they won't stay without the needle to hold them in place.

So with the brush laying on its side (mistake) I slid the needle in and hit something, pulled it out and lo an behold I've bent the very tip of the needle in a hook.

I used some fine oiled wet dry sandpaper to remove the tiny hook and went ahead and followed with 1500, zam and jewelers rouge on leather to polish it nicely.

I tried a couple of lines last night and it seems to be working but I got some uniform dotting outside the line when I blasted the paint wide open.

Could that be caused by the, more than likely, a slight profile change of the tip?

Nothing leaks or drips, I can paint a very thin clean line just not a full flow paint without the dotting but I'm not sure if I tried full flow before so is it the needle or do all brushes dot outside the swath of full flow paint or is my paint still not reduced correctly or too high of an air pressure.

Thanks, Jim

Yep, ya killed the needle lol. Dont worry, we all have..Im the queen of dropping mine lolol. Always have spare ones.

Sounds like you got the problem fixed, I have bent one needle since I started airbrushing and that was on my old paasche vl, Pretty much did the same thing you did and went back to painting.
But I put mine in my drill and dialed down the rpm and reshaped and polished it that way. Mainly because I know twisting it in you hand can cause flat spots and that leads to funky spray patterns .

Ahh the paasche vl... I still got mine... Got the .5 needle nozzle in it and use it like a mini spray gun for turning white to black on a base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh the paasche vl... I still got mine... Got the .5 needle nozzle in it and use it like a mini spray gun for turning white to black on a base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have mine too but never use it. I passed it on to my youngest son .

I agree with Meesh... I would continue to paint with the needle you have and then get a spare on order or get one if they are in stock. Then you can do a comparison. I have found that once bent, it is very hard to get it to paint as well as they do when new and undamaged. I have managed to fix one bent needle.

My company doesn't does not cover "fluid needles or fluid nozzles since these parts need to be replaced occasionally due to normal wear" (taken from their manual).
I'd purchase at least two extra needles, as someone else mentioned test out the difference in spray pattern.
I've learned it's best to keep plenty extra because this kind of thing happens all the time for me having such shaky hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
My company doesn't cover needles (and nozzle tips) in their warranty for this reason, they're in constant need of change from wear.
I'd purchase at least two extra needles, as someone else mentioned test out the difference in spray pattern.
I've learned it's best to keep plenty extra because this kind of thing happens all the time for me having such shaky hands.

What do you consider "constant need of change from wear"? I have never needed to change out a needle from wear, I have because I've damaged them from accidents, even those were able to be repaired. It is good to keep spares on hand though.

What do you consider "constant need of change from wear"? I have never needed to change out a needle from wear, I have because I've damaged them from accidents, even those were able to be repaired. It is good to keep spares on hand though.

I was quoting their 5 year warranty section from my manual, I've edited the post to properly reflect this. I've not decided what I'd consider normal wear since I've only had to replace my needles after accidentally dinging them.

Back