Best airbrush for around £100 (painting miniatures mostly)

A

AbbyPaul

Hi all, new to the forums and was looking for a bit of advice: Next week I plan on buying a new airbrush (I own a compressor already but am very new to actual airbrushing) I paint miniatures (GW mostly) and have a budget of around £100-£110 for the brush so any thoughts on the best brush for me please?

I was thinkking of the H&S Evolution silverline (if the guy at buy painted can get such incredible results with it then a total novice like me should be able to get some smooth base coats with it surely?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice, I live in the UK by the way :)

I've done GW miniatures myself (a long time back :untroubled:). A H&S evo is a verry decent airbrush and should enable you to do basecoats and some color/detail work on the larger models.

If you are going to stick to basecoats only a cheaper gun will probably also do but if you plan to actualy paint with it I'd advise an A brand (of which H&S is one). If you (partly) want to paint the little soldier models with the brush also you might want to consider saving up for a H&S that can also hold the 0,15 needle /nozzle (as far as I'm aware the silverline can't but I could be wrong there)

ps Don't expect to get that smooth basecoat instantly, you will need to practice a bit.
pss Someone will probably draw your attention to the introduction section of this forum soon :tickled_pink:

Wow thank you for such a quick reply, friendly place you guys have here and I'm glad I found it :)

Is the 2 in 1 version of teh H&S brush worth the extra £30 or so? Is it basically the same brush but with different needles (that I could buy and add to it later) or is the actual brush itself different?

The brush is exactly the same. As the needle/nozzle set makes how the airbrush preforms there isn't much difference to which H&S you buy as they all use the same needle nozzles (can exchange them between brushes). The more expensive ones just have more options (though I must say that an infinity somehow works a lot better for me, don't know if that is something in my mind :tickled_pink:)

Buying a two in 1 just saves you some money on buying a seperate needle/nozzle later on. The 0.4 included in the 2 in one would suit your need to apply basecoat (and metalics) though where as the 0.2 (or 0,15 depending on which H&S you buy) is better suited for detail work

Wow thank you for such a quick reply, friendly place you guys have here and I'm glad I found it :)

Is the 2 in 1 version of teh H&S brush worth the extra £30 or so? Is it basically the same brush but with different needles (that I could buy and add to it later) or is the actual brush itself different?

In my opinion yes. You get a workhorse .4mm and either a .2mm or .15mm for detail depending if you are going with the Evolution or Infinity.

Thanks, I'm going with the evolution (I think!) so is it a case of, the smaller the needle the finer the spray?

OK that's good advice then, I think I will stretch the cash to getting the 2 in 1 deal. I paint minis for commission work as well as for my own pleasure so the brush will pay for itself within a few weeks :)

Back