Best clear coats (that wont kill you)

M

Madeye

Hey everyone.

Im new to the whole airbrush scene.
I own a small fishing lure company. My lures are all made offshore and painted over there. But recently i have been inspired by a certain custom lure painter to have a go myself

cant post pics yet :(

His lures are wood so they use 2-part epoxys as the finish needs to be super durable.

My lures are made of metal so i dont need a clear coat that is quite as strong.
Plus i dont want to have to worry about dying from 2-Pac fumes.

What would be the best easy to use clear coat to use. The clear is mainly just to make my lures more glossy ?

The paints i am using are the auto air colours.

no urethane is safe unless you are set up for them.
But lucky for you the items you are painting are very small and you can either build your own or buy a modelers paint booth like this one http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=225-345
also wear a paint mask even with the auto air . Remember your body is made up of mainly water so water based paint will get to you faster than urethane .

Thanks mate.
I have full face vapor masks from back when i hand poured soft plastics. Making a booth looks like a good option. As i have noticed my migraines have disappeared since i stop hand pouring......

So any preferences in a clear coat ?
If they are all bad for you i might as get one that "flows" well ?

Thanks mate.
I have full face vapor masks from back when i hand poured soft plastics. Making a booth looks like a good option. As i have noticed my migraines have disappeared since i stop hand pouring......

So any preferences in a clear coat ?
If they are all bad for you i might as get one that "flows" well ?

1k Clear should work out well , Question is salt water or fresh water?
Salt water I would recommend Evercoat the stuff they use on boats here in the US.

Saltwater.
Evercoat sounds like the biz. Will have to track down a supplier.
Does it need to be thinned ?

Saltwater.
Evercoat sounds like the biz. Will have to track down a supplier.
Does it need to be thinned ?

Depends on which one you choose. But the supplier can tell you about which will best suit your needs.

Back