Best detail AB-Iwata or Badger?

waynem325

Gravity Guru
I may be on the market for a new airbrush and wondered what the general consensus is?

I currently have a couple of Iwata revolutions which I generally use for large coverage applications.
For detail work I have the HS infinity and the Badger SOTAR 2020.

I don't get on with the infinity. I don't know why - I find it uncomfortable and sometimes unpredictable and always reach past it for the Badger, which I find fantastic for minute detail work.

I like to have a couple of AB's on the go so I don't have to mess around too often with colour changes and so have began to think about what I'd replace the Infinity with?

I'm so impressed with the SOTAR that I'd like to try out another Badger and wondered what their best AB is and whether an Iwata would be much better? Should I just go straight to Iwata or does Badger have something hi-end that may tickle my fancy?

I'm confused as I know Iwata have a very strong following here, but which should I look at? The Eclipse, the HP range, custom micron or Kustom? Is the Kustom worth the extra expense?
Is there much difference between the others?
Or do I stick with another Badger, and if so, which one?

Can I actually compare Badger with Iwata?

To answer your question about Badger's best AB, through both my opinion and Badger's pricing structures, it is the SOTAR. Some would say the Renegade Krome, but it actually uses the same internals/parts as the SOTAR, and will yield almost identical results as such. However, the Krome feels much more like a automotive tool than a precision instrument. The SOTAR, as you know, feels somewhat like a pen or (heavier) mechanical pencil, which is more preferable in detail work, to avoid shaking from strain.

There is I own 3 eclipse airbrushs work horse hp-bcs bottom feed. I have a Hi-performance B and hi-line c I converted to .2 nozzle and actually ghinking about converting it back to .3 it was more versatile. I also own a cm-sb micron. When it comes to an airbrush there is personal preference involved. The fact you and the Infinity do not get along says something. If you are aiming for detail. I would say buy what works for you. The sotar if you love it and it works for you is the way to go. Don't mess with what works. Unless you are looking to go on a quest for a new airbrush but you run the risk of ending up with the same problem. The only way I would say different is if you were gonna pay out for a micron.

As been said an airbrush is personal, in that regard there is no "best" airbrush what feels good to you might be considdered horrible by someone else.

Both the krome and Iwata mircrons are realy loved by those who use them and you'll be hard pressd to find a bad review of either of them so it again comes down to what one prefers.

You have experience with airbrushes so you know what to look out for and what you prefer in how an airbrush handles so my avice would be to visit a store where you can actually try these guns and see what fits you best.

Pros and cons
Iwata Micron Pros .the atomization can not be beat , Low pressure spraying and being able to either have the .18 or .23 set up ,mac valve.
Cons , Price of parts ,
Badgers Krome , Sprays great Affordable parts great company to deal with and you can deal with the owner of the company. .20 or .30 set up comes with it.
Cons not really any I can think of other than like the Micron you will have to learn your paint system and how to reduce it for best flow.
H&S Infinity , 2 in 1 Pros .15 or .4 set up. two sized cups smooth action.
Cons it takes a bit of getting use to cleaning it . Lots of Q-tips on hand..LOL
But as stated it is personnel preference . While I own all 3 I have talked about I tend to grab my Micron over the others.

As far as detail brushes, for me, the Micron is the best with the Mojo III coming in a close 2nd.

H&S Infinity , 2 in 1 Pros .15 or .4 set up. two sized cups smooth action.
Cons it takes a bit of getting use to cleaning it . Lots of Q-tips on hand..LOL

I'm guessing you are talking about the base of the cup area. I always just put some water in the cup and swirl a #4 synthetic bristle paintbrush in there, then back flush and dump it out.

As @Tyler said the Sotar 20/20 is the top end Badger airbrush and was designed to compete with the Iwata Microns. Like a Micron you remove the whole head unit on the Sotar to clean it, something you can't do with the Badger Krome which was designed in lines with the Sotar. I have a Sotar and 2 Microns and I always reach for the Micron CM-SB. If your happy with the Sotar for detail then stick with it. IMO the only really better airbrush would be a Micron.
Cheers Mel

I dunno, I've been eyeing the Olympos MP200... If there was a side feed version I would buy it in less than a second.

There is a side feed version, I came across it at the same website Mel posted a link to in another thread, I'll have a look for it tomorrow and tag you when I find it, I believe it is a new model recently added to their range.

I just acquired an Olympos 100A which looks great but I still have to try out, I'll probably give it whirl on my paint pal pic, I'll post my findings when I do.

The HP-101 is a nice airbrush as well. I have one in the stash. It's not a Micron, but it's a nice side feed. A bit like a high grade HP-SB. But I'm not that found of any side feeders in general, so i almost never use it.

Thanks for the response guys and gals.

Great advice and comments.

Whilst I love the SOTAR (and I really do as I bought a second one a few months ago which sits on a shelf still in cellophane!) I feel, based on owners comments and web-based reviews, that there is better out there and my thoughts tend to head toward the "if I'm comfortable and confident with the SOTAR, imagine what my work would be like with the high end equipment?"

If the SOTAR is at the top of badgers catalogue with the krome, then iwata, with their legendary status, is the only way I should head.

After looking online briefly last night I've narrowed it down to the CM B plus or the CM SB plus.
The price hinders me slightly, but having something to aim for is a good thing! If I can raise cash from my painting then it'll be a good reward!!

Oh, and the reason I bought a second SOTAR is not only through love, but it was also at a cracking price which I just couldn't ignore!

How does the cup attach to the CM SB? I have a cheap Veda and it is such a pain in the ass to clean or change cups as the cup itself screws in, and then there's a retaining nut too!
Oh for a simple life???

Thanks for the response guys and gals.
How does the cup attach to the CM SB? I have a cheap Veda and it is such a pain in the ass to clean or change cups as the cup itself screws in, and then there's a retaining nut too!
Oh for a simple life???

You just push it in (no screws bolts etc). Realy easy but reliable (never had one faal out :)). You do need to make sure to flush them with water/cleaner thouroughly after use though as the route where the paint goes isn't easily accesable (been poking around with a needle for an hour once once after I forgot to clean one :p)

You just push it in (no screws bolts etc). Realy easy but reliable (never had one faal out :)). You do need to make sure to flush them with water/cleaner thouroughly after use though as the route where the paint goes isn't easily accesable (been poking around with a needle for an hour once once after I forgot to clean one [emoji14])

How easy is that?!
Potentially perfect. How much are the cups.....are there third party cups that fit?

Now I just need to find the time to paint something to sell!!!

How easy is that?!
Potentially perfect. How much are the cups.....are there third party cups that fit?

Now I just need to find the time to paint something to sell!!!

Don't quote me but I have heard that Aztec cups might fit, and as far as I know these are cheaper than iwata originals, but since you may be buying a top of the line tool, I personally would stick with genuine cups and just buy one every now and again.

Aztec cups fit perfectly. The Iwata cups are crazy expensive. And the Aztec cups comes with lids. They go for about $5.

Topper again Andre, I knew I had heard it mentioned but couldn't be absolutely sure:thumbsup:

Back