Best paint for plastic?

H

HammieTime

I want to be able to paint to a Lacrosse head and I have been having issues in finding the right paint. I have been using Createx Wicked Colors with the 4030 additive and 4012 reducer. I have cleaned and degrease the area and used a ultra fine Scotch-Brite pad. After fully drying it does chip and scratch off. What else should I be trying? Thank you in advance.

I want to be able to paint to a Lacrosse head and I have been having issues in finding the right paint. I have been using Createx Wicked Colors with the 4030 additive and 4012 reducer. I have cleaned and degrease the area and used a ultra fine Scotch-Brite pad. After fully drying it does chip and scratch off. What else should I be trying? Thank you in advance.
What kind of plastic?
An adhesion promoter could be needed, or autoborne sealer, or both.
How are you clearcoating it?

character-flame.png

:D

What kind of plastic?
An adhesion promoter could be needed, or autoborne sealer, or both.
How are you clearcoating it?

The plastic is DuPont Surlyn for nearly all lacrosse heads.
I was told that the 4030 additive would help with adhesion.
I haven't tried to clear coat yet because there is the adhesion issue. I can tell when I try to remove vinyl stencils after the paint has set.

4030 does help
Cant say ive ever tried to paint surlyn that im aware of but according to this it is paintable
http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/d...ding/documents/reflections_coating_guide_.pdf

Without buying the dupont prime n seal I would personally probably try rust-olem universal bonding primer....Ive had good luck with it on tough to paint plastics.
That coating guide does seem to indicate a primer sealer meant for plastics would be a good idea....Personally id be more trusting of something solvent based with a super tough plastic than i would autoborne sealer.

I probably wouldnt get an adhesion promoter like bulldog in this case as I have no idea what the compatibility is with surlyn and some adhesion promoters can damage some plastics.

Hopefully that gives you a direction to start with.

4030 does help
Cant say ive ever tried to paint surlyn that im aware of but according to this it is paintable
http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/d...ding/documents/reflections_coating_guide_.pdf

Without buying the dupont prime n seal I would personally probably try rust-olem universal bonding primer....Ive had good luck with it on tough to paint plastics.
That coating guide does seem to indicate a primer sealer meant for plastics would be a good idea....Personally id be more trusting of something solvent based with a super tough plastic than i would autoborne sealer.

I probably wouldnt get an adhesion promoter like bulldog in this case as I have no idea what the compatibility is with surlyn and some adhesion promoters can damage some plastics.

Hopefully that gives you a direction to start with.

Thank you for the recommendations and I let you know how it turn out.

Thank you for the recommendations and I let you know how it turn out.
Prime n seal is an epoxy primer btw....so If the rust-o doesnt work id be looking at catalyzed epoxy primers. If an epoxy primer is the recommended method than I understand why wicked with 4030 or autoborne wouldnt stand a chance.

I think husky is implying the OAF dragons will soon be after you for an introduction in the intro section
What Robby said :thumbsup:. Head over to the Introduction section and post a thread there. What equipment you have, paints, what you do and what you want to do in general with airbrushing. Also roughly where you're located. The intro gives background information that can help give more targeted advice.
Some of the admins get grumpy when folks don't introduce themselves... ;)

Lots of folks on here who paint plastics swear by Bulldog adhesion promoter, give that a try. When you get the result where it doesn't peel then a good 2k clear will most probably be the toughest clear coat.

Lee

Last edited:
Lots of folks on here who paint plastics swear by Bulldog adhesion promoter, give that a try. When you get the result where it doesn't peel then a good 2k clear will most probably be the toughest clear coat.

Lee
Order some today. Thanks

What Robby said :thumbsup:. Head over to the Introduction section and post a thread there. What equipment you have, paints, what you do and what you want to do in general with airbrushing. Also roughly where you're located. The intro gives background information that can help give more targeted advice.
Some of the admins get grumpy when folks don't introduce themselves... ;)
Yeah, Yeah, I just did that. Thanks

Sorry you felt pounced up :( Wasn't my intention. There's a bit of teasing and banter on the forum and sometimes we forget that the new folks may or may not have lurked (browsed without joining up) the pages much to get a feel for the site.

Sorry you felt pounced up :( Wasn't my intention. There's a bit of teasing and banter on the forum and sometimes we forget that the new folks may or may not have lurked (browsed without joining up) the pages much to get a feel for the site.
Well I have some thick skin... no worries

Back