Best set Of Etac EFX colours to buy?

Darren

Needle-chuck Ninja
I am going to give the Etac EFX paint a go but being on a budget and not able to buy all of the colours I am undecided on the best selection of colours to choose.

Aside from black and white, what 6 - 8 colours would be the most useful?

Mainly looking to paint wildlife, perhaps a few skulls. Up until now I have been using a few of the Createx Illustration colours but I see the Etac range do not include colours such as burnt umber, burnt sienna etc.

Not knowing how accurate the colour chart is to the actual paint I am Ideally looking for input from other Etac users. What colours do you use the most? What colours do you find yourself never really using?

Thanks.

1f697fa81ac1f82246e565f10a65367d.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember, but I thought GREX line was more money than if you bought from an actual Etac distributor.

Etac distributor web site is still being "worked on". You would think it would be built and ready to go before nuking your existing one.

what are your go-to Createx colors? There are similar types of colors in the E'tac line - albeit not exact substitutes.
Burnt umber, burnt sienna and sepia were useful, the first two they don’t have and the EFX sepia is more of a purple than a dark yellow brown. As you say, I guess pick something close from their range.

I can't remember, but I thought GREX line was more money than if you bought from an actual Etac distributor.

Etac distributor web site is still being "worked on". You would think it would be built and ready to go before nuking your existing one.
The only importer/supplier here in the U.K. have the GREX version so I do not have a choice really. They are £12.99 for a 60ml bottle.

The Grex version is the original Etac EFX only re-branded for export reasons and it used to be the same price as Etac EFX but with transport costs going trough the roof it was to be expected that the price would go up

Burnt umber, burnt sienna and sepia were useful, the first two they don’t have and the EFX sepia is more of a purple than a dark yellow brown. As you say, I guess pick something close from their range.

Andre's list of colors above sounds about perfect to me. The Sepia Smoke is not as "purple-ish" in real life, but is very transparent. The burnt umber is not far off from Createx Sepia, and is easy to adjust (if needed). I use both Createx, and E'tac (depending on project I am working on) and don't have much difficulty switching between them because of the differences in color pallet...

Burnt umber, red ochre, golden ochre, brown ochre, moss green, arylide yellow, pthylo blue, white, black. And Reducer base/reduce air.
Thanks for the suggestions, which green do you consider to be “moss green”?
How dark is the red ochre? Maybe I should consider one of the lighter reds also.

Andre's list of colors above sounds about perfect to me. The Sepia Smoke is not as "purple-ish" in real life, but is very transparent. The burnt umber is not far off from Createx Sepia, and is easy to adjust (if needed). I use both Createx, and E'tac (depending on project I am working on) and don't have much difficulty switching between them because of the differences in color pallet...
Thanks for the info, I am hoping to make an order next week.

Back