Best way to regulate flow of paint?

D

drobbins12

I just got a paasche talon tg. I'm trying to figure out how much I should turn the knob to allow the flow of paint or restrict the flow of paint. Or should I have it set somewhere in the middle and use my double action to control how.much paint comes.out.

Also, what causes the paint to dry on the tip while airbrushing?

Thanks,

Dylan

Dylan,

Depending on what paint you are using set your compressor to around 25psi - 35psi and then use the trigger on the airbrush to control how much paint comes out. Pull back just a little for fine lines. It is the air that causes the paint to dry on the tip. 'Tip dry' is a part of airbrushing that we all have to just live with, some paints give more tip dry than other paints.

Dylan, a little more info please, what pressure are you using, what paint and tip size, this helps others to better understand your question and provide more precise answers, like yourself I'm new to this, but I do understand is that everybody has their own little preferences, as Darren said between 25 and 35 psi is normal, but because of my lack of experience this too much for me, I work around 15 to 20 psi which allows me to work a little slower and I have more control over what I do, when I'm more confident I can increase the pressure.

It is simply a question of what works well for you, for detail work I set the paint flow to around 1 third open and fully open for covering larger areas (I do use more pressure in this case) I always tape a piece of old leftover wallpaper next to my work to try everything out, this may waste a little paint, but that's better than destroying what might be a maser piece.

My advice is simply try it out and see what makes you comfortable.

I understand the PSI part, I am at about 30 psi, but there is knob at the end of my brush that if I twist "righty tighty," I can't pull back on the trigger, and if I twist it " lefty loosely," it allows me to pull the trigger back more which causes a lot more paint to come out.

That being said, I got home from work at about midnight last night, my new brush had just gotten in while I was at work. So I played around with it for about an hour last night, its my first double action brush, so I really just have to practice the techniques is what it comes down too. I have to get used to holding the air down the whole time and.going back and forth with the trigger to control the paint.

Thanks,

Dylan

Hi Mate,
The knob at the end of your brush is a feature to help you get things consistent if you are doing a piece of work that repeats itself over and over and as for the PSI thing the thinner your paint is, the less preasure you'll need it's just a matter of playing with it to get that right.... practise and experimentation is the key
Cheers Lou.

Lou,
How does it get things consistent? Ive had more time to practice today. When you first started did you use a lot of stencils, masking tape etc... to help from staying with in the boundaries you are trying to paint until you developed a steadier hand. I'm struggling with keeping a steady line right now. Its getting better as I go though.

The screw bit on the end helps you paint the same thickness line over and over providing you keep the same distance. When you pull the trigger all the way back it limits paint flow.

Forget about doing picture for the next 20 hours. You should just practice dots, dagger strokes and lines. That will help you with your control. And don't be fooled that you are "real" airbrush artist when you can do everything freehand. Masters like Dru Blair, Eddy Wouters, Corry Saintclair and Ryan Townsend just to name a few, all use stencils and masks.

Andre,
Thanks for the tip... now who is dru Blair. Ive heard his name a few times on this forum. Does he have a website?

What is the best product to make your own stencils? Cardboard?

Go to airbrushworkshops.com and prepare to get your mind blown away!!! click on gallery and from there you will see what an airbrush in the rite hands can do!!! Dru Blair is picasso with an airbrush!!!

Back