For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Bicycling - mirrors? Nah, we can do cooler then that!

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by huskystafford, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

1. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

After many years I started to bicycle again this year.

I hate mirrors. But this year electric scooter crashed in to me. I was fine, but chick on the scooter(copassenger) got my front wheel in to her body. Driver of that scooter was fine as well. They come fast and silent while I was driving to my destination - woods. I got like 2 miles of bicycling to the woods.

So I was brainstorming little and I sad to my self, let's do some testing.
    I bought 2 blind spot mirrors and had some fun with it and got this. It worked with limitations. Better then nothing.

I used these ones:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some fun with it, but I felt I don't know what is happening right behind me. All stuff you can get online with mirrors are either big or you look like an alien.

This is prime example:

be peep, be peep I am an alien lol
    If I would wear this in my town I would be single for the rest of my life :D

You can get this, but this is some expensive ''forum would change this word'' lol

Soooooooooooo, I was googling and brainstorming and googling and I sad to my self let's just go all in :D

I come with this:

I solved my issue and results are better then expected. Keep in mind I have nokia lumia 520, that is a very crapy phone so pictures are crap. But the stuff actually work better then I thought.

Needed some time to get stuff from china, and a little jack which I bought separately so I can make this more ''elegant''. I could cut wires so I wouldn't need to hide them in my under saddle bag, but I didn't won't to, cause it was a test. Now when all is finished I don't wanna disassemble [​IMG]

I'm gonna make few more changes, ordered phone holder which I will use, but more or less it works like a bomb!

I would do it again. I am thinking to buy one more ''set'' just to have it in reserve if something dies on me, cause I like it so much.

Camera has 4 leds which are so powerfull you don't need rear light. As soon I turn knob on my battery pack, those lights turn on and my monitor turns on. The picture was taken in a dark room, so it doesn't show how clear is the picture when you ride outside, but outside you see everything. I am amazed how good this works. I also took a camera with 180% angle so you can't surprise me anymore.

Yesterday was my first ride with it, so I need to take down those little mirrors, now they are useless lol

I was waiting on a district light and I am still not used to camera. And I see a bicyclist on monitor. I was confused. Wait ,what? How come I am on monitor?! -.-
    After my brain realized it's someone else I turned back and I see bicyclist surprised how did I know he is behind me. ''insert cool smiley here''

I'll post links if someone wanna do the same. Don't have link for jack which I bought, it was one buck and I bought it locally.

battery pack 4800 mAH - 14.71$
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-DC...72.m2749.l2649

camera+monitor pack - 12.28$
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Night-V...72.m2749.l2649

total cost 28 bucks with jack included. I used few of those plastic ''laces'' which you use for electrical cables to attach monitor and cables to a frame. I don't know how you guys called them in states. Battery should last for almost 5 hours, but this still need to be tested. I could buy bigger pack, it is very light, it's not like you would carry friking acumulator...

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got caught by a rain yesterday so I was thinking how to solve ''a problem'' not getting monitor wet. Camera is rated for water, but screw that, I wanna go safe route. I will use zip lock bag and put it on monitor if it will rain a lot. Little rain didn't do anything to it yesterday. Zip lock bag is just to be prepared while I am thinking about how to make this more ''elegant''.

I am always for brainstorming, so all ideas are welcomed.

I also ordered this phone holder for 4.96$ which is the correct size for that monitor and 38mm handle bars, but chinese are slow, so I will have some time to think about what I will change.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Bicycle-...72.m2749.l2649

All in all, I love this setup and now there are no more little bastards sneaking behind my back. Screw the mirrors, this is the way to go.

I almost forgot. I have bunch of wind proof tubes so I am keeping my self warm while riding. I also can scare people. Yesterday I had a killer clown on my face(the one on the left side) and 2 persons were watching me and while I was passing by I was talking: I'm gonna peel you, I'm gonna eat you! I'm gonna peel you, I'm gonna eat you! :D

I had a good laugh cause of that. Here are few pictures of my tubes. Off course dead pool is there 2! :laugh:
    I got bunch of them, more then half are unopened yet. I am prepared for cold days :laugh:

[​IMG]

and old picture with ork!
    [​IMG]

So can we do better then bike mirrors? Off course we can :laugh:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Ttxela, doc1, LadyCharlie and 2 others like this.
  2. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Dude that’s awesome! You’re like a mad scientist with all this stuff. The rear facing camera is an impressive piece of kit. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    huskystafford likes this.
  3. huskystafford

I love it 2. For 28$ I am sure you can't get better setup. Like I sad battery should last for 5 hours more or less, but in the summer I can either buy bigger battery or the same one and I have 2 in the undersadle bag if I would do 10 hours rides(I am sure I will not lol)... You can't see on the picture, cause of my phone but I could put inside 4 batteries like that without a problem.

Yep Siroxx.this year I had a conversation with my self and realized bunch of people my age are getting heart stroke cause of way we live this days.
    So I decided I will do something about it. One day I bicycle, next day I walk and then I repeat this. So basically I always have one day for resting muscles which are more used on bicycle or by walking.

I am glad you like this setup.
    SiRoxx and LadyCharlie like this.
  4. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Good for you Bro! It’s important to look after ourselves as best we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Ttxela

Ttxela Needle-chuck Ninja

That's pretty smart, in my last job I used to cycle to work but my new job is too far so I have bought an electric motorbike, it's icy at the moment so I'm back in the car but my biggest concern on the bike is seeing what is coming up behind. it only does 40mph so one out of town on country roads stuff is always coming past you. The mirrors are pretty useless however you adjust them - I might try something like this :thumbsup:
    huskystafford likes this.
  6. huskystafford

This. I hated the fact I didn't know what is behind me. I felt like I am playing a lottery. The whole camera thingy works that is the most important part, so now I can play with it. I can put bigger battery or maybe more sensitive camera.
    Ttxela likes this.
  7. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin

Good solution! I managed to pick up a Varia radar unit at a good price!