Big boo boo. Need help. ASAP.

larz313

Gravity Guru
Ok I'm kinda freaking out a bit here. I'm working on a guitar amp hard plastic road case, and made a stupid mistake. No paint has been sprayed but I did scuff up an area I was going to paint. How do I get rid of the scuffed area to start over???

Here's what I'm dealing with.
c2ae2355bccdc5acb1494c5db3f19c60.jpg

See if you can find out what it's made of... if it's a plastic the spray can is likely to react or melt the plastic. Also make sure any combined paint sytstems are compatible.

As advised above, but make sure to use an inconspicuous place [hidden from view! ] to test it, so if something else goes spaz, you can at least cover it or repair it.
Might also be worth tracing out the logo from the front panel, just in case you need it later. You just never know.

Ok quick update. Taking the advice given, I scuffed the whole surface, cleaned thoroughly, sprayed adhesion promoter and did a medium-light coat of wicked black. And it looks like new! I'll post a pic tonight because I'm laying out the letters. Will I need to scuff and spray the promoter again since I heat set it already? Thanks.

Which promotor are you using? Not all are for plastics. How long did you wait from spraying the promotor to doing the basecoat? There is a very small window to do so and if it has fully dried then it's not going to hold. Also I personally wouldn't have painted the whole thing, asking for peeling down the road, they do take some abuse and most just spray on letters and call it a day. Hard to tell from the picture but back when I was in a band ours were pretty rough, which makes scuffing them properly nearly impossible.

Which promotor are you using? Not all are for plastics. How long did you wait from spraying the promotor to doing the basecoat? There is a very small window to do so and if it has fully dried then it's not going to hold. Also I personally wouldn't have painted the whole thing, asking for peeling down the road, they do take some abuse and most just spray on letters and call it a day. Hard to tell from the picture but back when I was in a band ours were pretty rough, which makes scuffing them properly nearly impossible.
It was a duplicolor brand spray can. Stated for plastics. Said I had 10 mins for base coat ( long story short ) I had the first coat on with time to spare. I literally had timers and everything done by the book. And before I " primed " it I cleaned it with mineral spirits and let it air dry thoroughly. I will also be applying a clear coat when done.

That's only compatible with lacquer and enamel paints, ie spraypaint. You really gotta stop mixing all kinds of brands and types together. There is no universal option, especially in a rattlecan. Also many of those spray crap cans use soybean oil in them as a reducer. Within the same brand it works because all of it has the same stuff in it making it compatible. If it has the soybean in it like most of them do, the clear will fisheye like crazy because of the oil unless you are using rattle clear as well. As far as spraying waterbased over it, acrylics don't mix, especially with oil and can peel later or react when cleared.

Well the black base is holding nicely. Redid the letters tonight. Tomorrow I cut them out, spray, and hopefully be done with it. Forgive the pic quality. Bad angle.
eadf8f3b229e105914ba1333a489a959.jpg

You've got such a nice transfer, why not do it freehand? You will have to be very careful when cutting. Too deep and the mask might tare the surface hen you remove it.

Yes, I would avoid sharp knives on the paint - it is so easy to damage and will peel VERY easily...

I used a projector and traced on frisket. I have to cut the letters out. I didn't want any overspray. And yes I'll be careful. I know ya don't need much pressure to cut that.

Back