black or black??

Clutch

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hi all im trying to understand the diff uses for opaque black and transparent black.... And can transparent be made from opaque by thinning?? This same set of questions applies to white as well.
I look forward to your answers

When you add reducer to any paint, it becomes more transparent. Transparent paints become more transparent and opaques become semi opaque, but the opaque paint will eventually reach full opacity.
Transparent paints get darker with each layer.
Since black is so dominant, even transparent black will overpower any color quickly if not drastically reduced.
I personally only use transparent black, for illustration purposes opaque doesn't really buy me much, but its great for covering such as helmets, automotive, etc. for a nice even base coat.

Hi Clutch!
transparent and opaque depends on the paint manufacturer, however opaques are theoretically pigment based and transparents theoretically dyes.
The actual case is that the majority of airbrush paints are all pigment based, it just depends on the size and quantity of pigment whether it's transparent or opaque.
For this reason adding transparent base to a pigmented color is adding transparency. You're simply weakening the color by increasing the amount of binder/reducer to the pigment ratio, however it is still an opaque paint as it will cover what it sits on.
In light of this i'd recommend you use all transparent colours and an opaque white, because if you're ever using white (even in a mix), it's because you want coverage. This is why it doesn't make sense to have semi-transparent whites.
Semi-transparents shouldn't be called that either, they should all be called semi-opaques.
Across the majority of manufacturers their 'transparent' colours flow more smoothly than their opaque counterparts.

I just ordered a set of Holbein Aeroflash paints. I ordered all transparent colors and opaque white. :)

Transparant: paint that always will have the color beneath it shine through.
Opaque: paint that will cover the color beneath it.

When we airbrush we are adding layers of pigment. When one reduces an opaque one lessens the amount of pigment aplied in one go. This may make it apear transparant in the first few layers as everything beneath it keeps shining through (isn't hit by the pigment). When applying enough layers one will reach 100% opacity with it though. So an opaque can bemade to appear transparant but it isn't :p

In black and white paintings people often go for transparant black, the fact that the white of the paper keeps shining through makes for easier / more natural transitions.

It is also realy nice to do the real dark shading in color pieces as all the work beneath it will remain a tad visible (though in color often a few drops of another color are added).

Opaque black is often used if something just has to be black and you want it covered quickly (realy dark shadows come to mind).

Back