Black & White Trident Paint

S

Shredder

Hi there, Im pretty new to this and I have a general question I’m hoping you might be able to help with.
I bought some trident paint a little while ago and I’ve been really happy with the way it flows etc. One thing that I’m having a little trouble with is the colour tint of the black vs white. I mainly do black and white work and I noticed that the white has a cool blue tint while the black has a warmer tint. This becomes obvious when I blend white over black next to black over white.

I’ve attached a sample so you can see what I mean. I increased the colour saturation on the pic to highlight what I'm talking about. His face tends to be warm (except for the areas where I went over in white) but the jacket has a cooler tint.

I’m just wondering if this is a common problem and if so is the a work around? Do other brands of black & white paint have the same thing happen?
I’m thinking of trying to tint the white with some yellow/red to make it look a warmer?? Maybe tinting the black with blue?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has come accross this before and might have some thoughts on it.

Thanksairbrush-paint-sample.jpg

Hi Shredder
The problem you are having is actually a general problem with most paints I know of. I dont know if Trident is better or worse than other paints in this particular area, but I do know that Trident is the best paint I’ve ever tried.
Dru Blair (the absolute king of photorealism if you dont know him) has some theory and solutions to this in his Color Buffer Theory:
airbrushworkshops.com/theory.php
Scroll down to se the part about white turning bluish...
The simple solution is to either add some blue to your black to make it a cool black or add some orange to you white to warm it up...
ATB Thomas

Hi Shredder,
What you experienced here is called the blue shift. I also wondered about that phenomenom when i started with the airbrushing. You will always have this happend even with other brands of colors.
Im also no expert at all about it yet, but your on the correct way of adding some orange to the white working against the blue shift. You should watch the Denise tutorial that Mitch is doing lately,
he said in a color portrait you always have to add to the color of the previous layer to the color of the layer you are going to lay over in a color portrait. If you are doing a monochrome portrait most
people dont add white at all, they use erasers to get their highlights back after every thinn layer they are painting. I also heard that Mitch is adding some blue to the black so it wont look so flat.
Just make some tests on a piece of paper with tinting your colors to see what works out best.
Your painting looks very cool btw :)

LoL Thomas was faster with the posting while i still typed :)

Hi Shredder
The problem you are having is actually a general problem with most paints I know of. I dont know if Trident is better or worse than other paints in this particular area, but I do know that Trident is the best paint I’ve ever tried.
Dru Blair (the absolute king of photorealism if you dont know him) has some theory and solutions to this in his Color Buffer Theory:
airbrushworkshops.com/theory.php
Scroll down to se the part about white turning bluish...
The simple solution is to either add some blue to your black to make it a cool black or add some orange to you white to warm it up...
ATB Thomas

LoL Thomas was faster with the posting while i still typed :)

Thanks Guys, thats a great help ... will have a read of that theory now :)

Back