Blue Flame Colours

Ttxela

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Probably a daft question but just checking my theory is correct.

I learnt to paint flames in a class, essentiall red solvent paint with orange (red and yellow solvent mix) highlights then red candy over then orange paint with solvent yellow highlights with gold candy over then white with yellow over.

This seems to work well and with practice gets a little better each time.

Now I have a request for blue flames, I'm guessing I can do similar with blue and white solvent paint to get increasingly paler shades of blue for my flame layers - but what of the candy? Obviously perhaps blue candy for the darker flames buit is there a different candy that might work for the lighter layers?

I'm thinking of buying from the Inspire Range.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Probably a daft question but just checking my theory is correct.

I learnt to paint flames in a class, essentiall red solvent paint with orange (red and yellow solvent mix) highlights then red candy over then orange paint with solvent yellow highlights with gold candy over then white with yellow over.

This seems to work well and with practice gets a little better each time.

Now I have a request for blue flames, I'm guessing I can do similar with blue and white solvent paint to get increasingly paler shades of blue for my flame layers - but what of the candy? Obviously perhaps blue candy for the darker flames buit is there a different candy that might work for the lighter layers?

I'm thinking of buying from the Inspire Range.

Thanks in advance for any help.
My guess from their range would be using the Royal Blue and Blue candy colours. If my memory serves, they do a Blue Fire kit that can be purchased. Likewise a Green one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess from their range would be using the Royal Blue and Blue candy colours. If my memory serves, they do a Blue Fire kit that can be purchased. Likewise a Green one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did see the blue fire kit after I posted my original message, they say it comes with;

"White Base, Blue Candy, Royal Blue Candy, Silver Pearl, Purple Pearl and a Inspire Thinner"

It doesn't say if it comes with any clues as to how to layer these up but I'm a little thrown that it only contains one solid colour, white.

I did see the blue fire kit after I posted my original message, they say it comes with;

"White Base, Blue Candy, Royal Blue Candy, Silver Pearl, Purple Pearl and a Inspire Thinner"

It doesn't say if it comes with any clues as to how to layer these up but I'm a little thrown that it only contains one solid colour, white.

you dont need solid blue, first layer white, darker warmer candy goes next. All solid stages white - it turns blue anyway (blueshift). Second candy is the cooler one. You can always mix white + candy for solid blue. I think Lavallee uses bright teal.

Last edited:
When I did the real fire class with Mick Neill we did 3 fire versions, normal fire, blue and green, I can't remember exactly it's been 8 years or so.. I think we used a darker blue a lighter blue and white, then 2 different candies but can't remember which ones.. With the green I think we used 2 greens one darker than the other and can't remember if we had a white or cold yellow but 2 green candies and I think a yellow candy too. Mike Lavallee does a great blue and green fire but with a lot fewer steps. I think he only uses white and candies but definitely multiple layers.. I'd have to watch the vid to check however both ways will work, it depends what is better for you and how much time you have...

BlueFireCropS.jpg GreenFireCropS.jpg

Lee

Thanks everyone, still not got around to giving this a go (been exploring slate mines in Wales) but will have a try soon!

Nice one Alex, I ride the Llanberris pass quite regularly and Machynlleth on the way back lots of slate round there. Dont forget to post up your attempts once you have a go.

Lee

Back