Bought a Paasche talon siphon feed just the .66 set up no accessories.

Will's

Double Actioner
I've read some good and quite a few bad reviews here . I bought it from Amazon at a good price which just happened to drop today by $6 and while I was waiting to think about it it was $50 and I paid $62 but did use the 3 month plan so I can deal better.

I wanted to ask , is it normal for the weld around the paint jar fitting to not be even ? I do recall but need to look at my VL-3 and my SI-3 if they are similar . I do know the VL that same fitting is not square with the air hose fitting , this one is perfect . I bough both VL and SI in 2009 and they were not costly straight from the Paasche web site. Now even the bargain ones that have flaws once you enter their payment the price really goes up , so that has changed. I do know the SI has the same tiny chrome scratches.

I checked the head and everything is centered very well and seated well , this was one concern I read about in the bad reviews. I haven't had the chance to try it out and as long as it works and does not leak I can live with the tiny marks on the chrome and the sort of anodized gold on the handle being a bit say blotchy . What I mean as soon as I use it and clean it these flaws will be done by me , just the nature of the beast .

I do realize my bringing this all up makes me seen picky and in a way I am but this is not a high dollar airbrush .

I read all the reviews on amazon of all the Paasche models offered and saw complaints that the customer service was bad , or they were hung up on or their emails were not answered , but they way they spelled was so bad I would not reply either. I even watched as many you tube videos I could find , most were good. Some were picky.

Just want to have an opinion. I know over the years quality has dropped but I see this even with Badger which I also own. I imagine there are a few brands in the higher price range that are not perfect, well maybe not the real high end offerings.

William

I just wanted to add. When I bought a few H Paasche in the early 80's they came in a blue plastic box clear top in foam even had a layer of foam over the top and had the 2 bottles and a cup and wrench and hanger. The in 2009 got the VL-3 and SI -3 and they came in a box with thick foam and instructions they were just the brush no accessories. The talon came in a clam shell with a cardboard insert and nothing else . I noticed even if you get the entire kit it has a box but the needles don't have a tube and the rest sets in a plastic base like the clam shell. deal .

I bought my Badger Anthem 155 just the brush it came in a plastic bag with bubble wrap in a box , got it from Bear Air in the 90's . My Badger 150 came in a hinged plastic case in foam with the instructions and bottles and cup.

So things have certainly changed . I've seen quite a few airbrushes arrive in clam shell deals. My last H was in one had a cheap hose and a bottle and wrench and metal propell adapter . By then they stopped using the stripple knob that the old ones used to hold the trigger in. I have three form the early 80's.

Also when I called or emailed Paasche they always took care of me real well , no complaint there.

William

Hello,

From what I have heard, Talons and Raptors (same airbrush, smaller cup) can have big variations in quality consistency. One of the managers in my company (he used to be by manager's manager) told me he got a Raptor and haven't been able to get it to work properly. I'm back and forth with him by email trying to help (we are in different locations) but most likely I'll ask him to send it to me so I can check what's going on.

Thanks,
Ismael

I have seen a few photo's of both the gravity and siphon feed Talon and see some slight change near the handle , most show 2 small vertical divots like spot welds , mine does not have this. As far as I am concerned mine looks fine outside of the tiny scratches and as long as it does work I can ignore them .

I never saw one in person , this is my first time . Only saw photo's.

Reliability is a big issue in it's own right. Part of why I returned the Talons I tried to buy back in the day was because although (most of) the parts that were bad were replaceable, the fact that multiple parts on 2 consecutive new brushes needed replacing right out of the box implied that I might have to buy multiple replacements for any given part in order to get one good one. Need a new needle someday? Plan to buy 3, hope 1 is good, and pitch the rest directly from the shipping envelope into the trash bin. That was not something I wanted to be invested in.

If a brand can't keep their QC consistent, then you'll still get people who get good individual units on their first try, but that doesn't mean the brand is actually good: it just means those people got lucky. A product/company is only as recommendable as such good experiences are reliably reproducible.

Not saying your experience is invalid, just, y'know: your experience doesn't mean others' experiences are invalid either. It may be more reasonable to assume you got lucky than it is to assume there was nothing wrong with Paasche after all.

Reliability is a big issue in it's own right. Part of why I returned the Talons I tried to buy back in the day was because although (most of) the parts that were bad were replaceable, the fact that multiple parts on 2 consecutive new brushes needed replacing right out of the box implied that I might have to buy multiple replacements for any given part in order to get one good one. Need a new needle someday? Plan to buy 3, hope 1 is good, and pitch the rest directly from the shipping envelope into the trash bin. That was not something I wanted to be invested in.

If a brand can't keep their QC consistent, then you'll still get people who get good individual units on their first try, but that doesn't mean the brand is actually good: it just means those people got lucky. A product/company is only as recommendable as such good experiences are reliably reproducible.

Not saying your experience is invalid, just, y'know: your experience doesn't mean others' experiences are invalid either. It may be more reasonable to assume you got lucky than it is to assume there was nothing wrong with Paasche after all.

You are right. I feel I was just lucky this time , This is not to say if I take it apart to clean it it will work proper after. Or if I need a new needle or tip what I get may not work at all. I haven't removed the head just the handle and needle so I could see what it looked like inside and if the teflon packing had resistance as I put the needle back in. I also noticed that the needle and all the threaded parts were lubed.

I agree with you and have seen more bad reviews than anything else. This is why I hesitated buying one at all. I have only seen one post on this forum that was in the least bit positive.

I just really had to try one to see for myself and if it turns out to be crap then it is and know I know and won't do it again for certain. Looks can be deceiving and it does look real nice . Mine is not the gravity feed so it does not have the eagle on the cup, I have not seen one review on the siphon feed model I got , just what I saw on Amazon.

What I did do just to see if it would fly is contact them and say it arrived in bad shape , was asked for photos and they agreed to send me another and to keep the one I have. I realize this is wrong but I have over the years spent a small fortune on their products and was burned a few times . Does this make me right , certainly not , does this make me a liar no really . I stretched the truth and if they said no I would keep what I have and live with my choice which on second thought perhaps I should have.

I was thinking if it does work well for me I might acquire the needle stop handle that the gravity feed model has , I feel it may help me adjust or get the feel of using a dual action brush. I tried it on the VL I have and it does work fairly well in that respect even though the VL works different .

So far I've been happy with all the Paasche airbrushes i have , they all work well and have not failed to work . This model however does show signs of much less QC involved, as you and many others have pointed out. That is my concern. I do like Badger products , they are much more consistent and their QC is much better , yet I have seen and read a few bad reviews , I imagine most middle range airbrushes do ship out duds and then it's how well their customer support handles it.

Now if I were to really dive in where I do not belong and acquired a Iwata or one of the other high end products and it had issues then I would really be insane as well as let down.

The only experience I have with Iwata is a internal mix single action I bought in 2005. It was very well built , extremely well polished and smooth. But it was operational wise no better than the Badger and Paasche I had so I sold it to get another Badger which was the anthem 155. Thought I would learn to use a dual action .

Next time I will keep my replies short and to the point.

William

In my mind , I haven't bought an airbrush since 2009 and wouldn't know what to do with a great one and really do not have funds to spare I just took a chance here. All I have is SS and live in an old apt building in Los Angeles with my wife who is ill ( long story) . If it had not been Amazon offer to pay it off in 3 payments I would have not bought it. I could live with what In have now. At least I was still working when I bought the last 2 in 2009.

In my mind , I haven't bought an airbrush since 2009 and wouldn't know what to do with a great one and really do not have funds to spare I just took a chance here. All I have is SS and live in an old apt building in Los Angeles with my wife who is ill ( long story) . If it had not been Amazon offer to pay it off in 3 payments I would have not bought it. I could live with what In have now. At least I was still working when I bought the last 2 in 2009.
Hey Will, welcome. At the end of the day, an airbrush is a tool like any other, and can be repaired, modified, enhanced as you chose. Also, eventually one settles into a comfortable space and discovers which brush (e.g. nozzle size and feed type) suits your needs best. Over time most folk usually end up with more than one.

Hey Will, welcome. At the end of the day, an airbrush is a tool like any other, and can be repaired, modified, enhanced as you chose. Also, eventually one settles into a comfortable space and discovers which brush (e.g. nozzle size and feed type) suits your needs best. Over time most folk usually end up with more than one.
(The editor function timed out.) I was trying to point out that the manufacturer's glitzy hype counts for little.

Not trying to change the subject here, but how does the Amazon 3 payments thing work?

Not trying to change the subject here, but how does the Amazon 3 payments thing work?
When I wanted the airbrush I was offered a choice to pay the full amount or in this case I paid one payment tax added then 2 more payments 30 days apart beginning at the time they ship the order. You can pay the balance off anytime and there is no interest. I pay the $16.81 each month to get the free delivery rather than the total.

This 3 month deal is only on certain items , I have never seen it before this time. I imagine you need to have an account to get it. If you do decide to purchase anything put it in your cart and if it qualifies you will see the two options. Chose which one and go from there.

When I wanted the airbrush I was offered a choice to pay the full amount or in this case I paid one payment tax added then 2 more payments 30 days apart beginning at the time they ship the order. You can pay the balance off anytime and there is no interest. I pay the $16.81 each month to get the free delivery rather than the total.

This 3 month deal is only on certain items , I have never seen it before this time. I imagine you need to have an account to get it. If you do decide to purchase anything put it in your cart and if it qualifies you will see the two options. Chose which one and go from there.
Is it through Affirm?

No all it is , you give permission to amazon to take the funds out of whatever payment method you use on their site. It's not an out side company,

Amazon did send a replacement and told me to keep the first one. However do to the cheap plastic clam shell with a cardboard cover the needle protector though shipping/ handling came off and the needle punched a few holes in the plastic causing the needle tip to end up with a slight burr.

I don't see any damage to the tip . Also the handle as was the first one loose . I can't say if this happens when it ships from Paasche to Amazon , might be . I don't know because nothing tells me other than shipped and sold by Amazon. I have no idea how that works.

This calm shell thing will fit either brush the siphon or gravity. I see basically a similar type of plastic insert even if one buys the entire kit with all 3 heads and needles. That comes in a box but the brush and accessories are free floating at will in there.

When I bought my set this is the way it came. The wrench and hanger are in a bag placed inside of the hose. I had added the gravity Talon handle and fan air cap to my order which, of course, were separate items in the shipping box. The Raptor may fit in the plastic tray but the gravity Talon will not.

talonsiphon.jpg

When I bought my set this is the way it came. The wrench and hanger are in a bag placed inside of the hose. I had added the gravity Talon handle and fan air cap to my order which, of course, were separate items in the shipping box. The Raptor may fit in the plastic tray but the gravity Talon will not.

View attachment 83477
At least the brush fits in that much more secure than the garbage mine came in. There is no way the needle protector can come off in that, as long as the box does not allow it to leap out .

At least the brush fits in that much more secure than the garbage mine came in. There is no way the needle protector can come off in that, as long as the box does not allow it to leap out .

If you can, please post a pic or two as I'd like to see what you are getting. You are saying the needle protector came off in shipping. If you look at the brush I posted there is no protective cap. I just checked mine. The needle does not stick out past the air cap. As such it shouldn't come in contact with anything were the brush to slide around.

If you can, please post a pic or two as I'd like to see what you are getting. You are saying the needle protector came off in shipping. If you look at the brush I posted there is no protective cap. I just checked mine. The needle does not stick out past the air cap. As such it shouldn't come in contact with anything were the brush to slide around.
It's the same part , Paasche calls it a needle protector and many call it an air cap., I usually do but I used Paasche term because it's now stuck in my head since I spoke to Paasche to inform them that they need to address this so anyone who buys one in this clam shell will end up in my situation. Seems all many who want any airbrush's or related items depend to on line offerings and most of all shipping .

Back