Brand new Badger 105 will not spray water

T

TheTawnyOwl

Hi guys,

Forgive me, but I am brand new to the world of airbrushing and need some help. I will try to be as detailed in my descriptions as possible, please tell me if you need more information.

I recently bought a brand new Badger Patriot 105 from Amazon. It has a medium tipped head. I have assembled and disassembled my airbrush, following perfectly the instructions given to me by this video and in consultation with the instruction manual provided:

In order of connection my set up is as follows:
- Artlogic AC1318 mini-compressor (tankless)
- 1.9m braided air hose with 1/4 x 1/8 couplings
- a mini moisture trap
- a badger 1/8 x 5mm hose adaptor
- Badger 105

There does not appear to be any leakages from any of the connections and air is leaving the final connection strongly (without the airbrush connected).

Now, onto the problem. I have set the PSI for spraying at 25 (as per the instructions in my airbrush's manual). I can feel air being blown out of the tip when I press down the trigger and when I pull it back (although it feels fainter when I do so). However, when I place water into the cup it simply will not spray out of the airbrush. If I remove the head and place my finger over the airhole, the water bubbles in the cup. The only time the water exits the head, if is I angle my airbrush downwards and pull the trigger back fully. When it does so, it bubbles out in large droplets.

The only issue I have had with this airbrush was when I disconnected it from the moisture trap (after releasing the air pressure), the small parts in the connector fell out (parts 50-014, 50-020, 50-015), I collected all of these parts and reassembled them as per the instructions. I cannot be 100% on this, but I believe that the small rubber o-ring (part 50-0141), is connected onto part 50-014 and so did not need to be found.

Now no paint has been sprayed through this airbrush, so I can't imagine that there is anything blocking the air from exiting through the needle.

I honestly have no idea how to fix this as I have no experience with airbrushes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So bubbles in the cup is most commonly a blockage. That is why it bubbles back with your finger over the end. Make sure you needle isn't bent and make sure it is clean as clean.

This is a really good link.

Hey how about you pop along to the intro section and say Hi? Where are you from, what you paint, gear you use, what lead you t the airbrush, that sort of thing. Cheers Mark

Hi leaky valve,

The needle does move/retract when I push down and pull back the trigger.

I have the nozzle, the nozzle cap and needle cap installed (although the last part is screwed on too tightly to remove when I carefully remove the head assembly).

Thanks for the link Mark, looks really good - I'll follow it when I've woken up more.

I should probably add that the bubbles in the cup only happen when I purposely block the airflow. Otherwise the water in the cup sits still, while I can feel air being blown on my hand when I pull back the trigger.

I'll head over to the intro section! :)

Ok, another thing to look for is that the nozzle is sitting too far from the opening of the nozzle cap. Is there anything preventing the nozzle assembly.. any of the parts, from seating fully? Like an O-Ring or something like that.

Also don't rule out that Badger mis-matched those nozzle parts and you have the wrong mixture of parts.

If the nozzle and cap are not correctly "aligned" there will be no suction.

Give us some pics of that thing

Yeah, something isn't right. PICTures would be good. Is the needle moving back with trigger pull? MAYBE the Chuck is loose? Is the nozzle seated proper on unit? That thing should work well for you. I hope we can get you squared away.

usually if its just blowback into cup its a damaged or split tip. 003. if its blowing back into trigger area its a needle bearing issue and it needs to be replaced
......thats the message I just got from repairs

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

I don't believe that any of the parts in the head are not sitting properly, the nozzle appears to sitting snuggly at the whole on the head. (Turns out that I have a fine head cap, rather than medium though).

Please take a look at these pictures. Let me know if you would like more taken

Thanks again,
Finn

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_081129305.jpg
    IMG_20170318_081129305.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170318_081607416.jpg
    IMG_20170318_081607416.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170318_081302735.jpg
    IMG_20170318_081302735.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 16
That's good information to know, thanks MeeshellMP.

Something I've just noticed is that the air leaving the nozzle feels weaker today, like I can barely feel it on my hand. I'm going to find some pliers so that I can remove the adaptor from the moisture trap (it's on really tight) and see if connecting the hose directly to the airbrush helps with this problem.

That's good information to know, thanks MeeshellMP.

Something I've just noticed is that the air leaving the nozzle feels weaker today, like I can barely feel it on my hand. I'm going to find some pliers so that I can remove the adaptor from the moisture trap (it's on really tight) and see if connecting the hose directly to the airbrush helps with this problem.

If you have a fine head on a medium assembly that very well is your issue. Not only is the hole smaller, the cap itself is machined for the length of a fine nozzle. Please confirm what you have...

usually if its just blowback into cup its a damaged or split tip. 003. if its blowing back into trigger area its a needle bearing issue and it needs to be replaced
......thats the message I just got from repairs

There's only blowback when the air Chanel is deliberately blocked.
The problem is no fluid flow (water in this case) only air flow.
Can you check with badger again meesh ?

I've had that issue in the past but it was a blocked nozzle. If this is a brand new brush then maybe things wer done up to tight. They only need to be finger tight in most case. Never to the point that you've used a wrench and it can't be tightened further. That will cause similar results

If you have a fine head on a medium assembly that very well is your issue. Not only is the hole smaller, the cap itself is machined for the length of a fine nozzle. Please confirm what you have...

So I only have the head assembly that badger supplied me, with my airbrush. I suspect that it is fine because it has an 'f' on it. Please look at the pictures to confirm.

There's only blowback when the air Chanel is deliberately blocked.
The problem is no fluid flow (water in this case) only air flow.
Can you check with badger again meesh ?

I've had that issue in the past but it was a blocked nozzle. If this is a brand new brush then maybe things wer done up to tight. They only need to be finger tight in most case. Never to the point that you've used a wrench and it can't be tightened further. That will cause similar results

So the head assembly, parts 033 and 071, are really tight - I can't remove them by hand. I would be too scared using pliers on them at this point haha.

Every airbrush gets tested several times before it leaves the shop. Im still chating with him. Might have to ask @KenBadger to come in and maybe help

Quick update, connecting my airbrush directly to the hose solved the issue of weak air flow, but has not solved the issue of water not spraying.

If you have to use tools to disassemble then use tools (put electrical tape in the plier jaws or on the airbrush to protect it)
Didn't you pull it all apart and reassemble ?

Okay, so I put electrical tape over the pliers and separated the two parts of the head assembly (while it was removed from the airbrush). I then reassembled the head assembly so that it was finger tight.

I'm getting good airflow out of the head, i can see that it is visibly deforming a cup of water and it feels strong on my hand. However, no dice on spraying water from the cup. It's still releasing a strong flow of air, just nothing else with that.

I'll try a complete disassembly, clean then reassembly.

sometimes finger tight isn't enough ,i use plyers all the time but i have tin covers to protect from scuffing....only thing i can think of is maybe there is an O ring between head and not letting the head push tip sit properly.
the head pushes tip into the right spot ,if the tip is loose it might bubble back a little or pulsate

Back