Brilliant Blue & Water Droplets

otpowell

Double Actioner
I am in love with this Xbox design. Anyone know what color this light blue aqua is? I looked at HOK color chart and didn't see a blue like that.. I'm thinking its the neon blue but over a white base coat. Maybe on the HOK website the neon blue is over a darker base coat? Hmmm.. Also, anyone know how he achieved the water droplet effect? I know the method of spraying paint on water and letting it evaporate. There has got to be a faster evaporating method, maybe not yet but some chemical engineer needs to engineer a liquid that evaporates fast and is not urethane soluble. Also a liquid to do the water effect with water based paints. Maybe that will be me once I get me degree in a million years once I stop procrastinating and go back to college. If that will ever happen.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361119297.884578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361119306.082167.jpg

It could just be white with a blue candy over the top. That would give you the same effect.

Lee

Which blue candy though. I have cobalt blue and oriental blue kandy. Neither looks equivalent to this cool color.

Which blue candy though. I have cobalt blue and oriental blue kandy. Neither looks equivalent to this cool color.

You will never be able to tell what a particular colour is by simply looking at a swatch or even the the colour in a bottle, the thing about candies and any other colours is that they change depending on how much you put on, when applying candies or transparent's over white, the less you put on the lighter it will appear, and the more you put on the darker it will appear, this makes it impossible to say exactly what colour it actually is, the only way you will find out for sure is to find out who did the X-box and ask them.

Layering candies and transparent colours over other colours will also have a colour changing effect, for example if you spray any of your blue candies over yellow, you will end up with varying degrees of green again depending on how much you put on.

there are advanced colour wheels and charts available as well as charts relative to your specific paint's manufacturer.

Also, the water drop effect is done just the way you mentioned... you have to let it evaporate. It is a slow process, but not as slow as attempting to paint each one individually.

I wonder how he made the highlight on the bubbles without getting the color on his background? Maybe he went back in atfter it evaporated and put the highlight in?

i agree with all the above. try placing a heat lamp over the work to let it dry quicker,what ever you do dont use a blow dryer lol. as far as the candies i have got the same results using createx transparent or auto air over white you can do water drop effects over water base it just has to probably be heat set or clear coated and Thain scuffed lightly

I wonder how he made the highlight on the bubbles without getting the color on his background? Maybe he went back in atfter it evaporated and put the highlight in?

I have seen Svee do a similar bubble job where he used a dark color from one side for the shadow and a lighter color from the opposite direction for the highlight and then let the water evaporate. You then get the two colors on each bubble!

I know how he did the two different colors with opposite directions.. Just curious why that does not reflect on his background.

I've actually watched that video before.. Thank you that answered my own question.. It's cause he was using candy paint and the background was darker than his highlights.. Thank you all!!

Question was too elementary for most of you guys. Lol. I'm still a newbie and sometimes I revert with my couple months of knowledge.

I tried it with spray paint and it didn't sit on the water droplet properly just fartin around... Perhaps cuz the paint size was too large to properly sit on top of the droplet? Spray paint seems like bullets compared to the micron size of airbrush atomization

I know how he did the two different colors with opposite directions.. Just curious why that does not reflect on his background.

He didnt get it on the background because of the angle he was spraying at in relation to the water drops. You need to come in at a very acute angle (almost horizontal to the workpiece) you want to just mist the sides of the water droplets then you shouldnt get much, if any spray on the background.

While not impossible to do this trick with a spraycan you will not have the same control as with an airbrush and the fan coming out off the spray can will be much larger than with your AB and overspray will be much more, polluting your background with overspray.

I fancy having a go at this trick myself when the weather gets warmer (or I get some heatlamps!). Always wanted a chair that looks wet and watch to see how many people wont sit on it :devilish:

Ok so I sprayed my Kandy on the water just now.. Did some opaque white in one direction then kandy cobalt blue in the other and it looks great... My question is,
I know I am supposed to spray sg100 over kandies to protect it. Do I do this now or wait until the water evaporates?

Back