Brush for priming/single-color/gloss/matte coats

S

SpaceCowboy

Hello!

I'm a new member (just posted my intro) and joined to get some info on getting myself a 2nd AB!
There's been a couple of threads here that address similar questions, but I did want to get some more precise info for my needs:
I'm looking to get a 2nd AB primarily for spraying primer paints. I've been using a Tamiya rattlecan, and I've struggled with my lack of control over the volume of paints it sprays out... I primarily build 1/700 scale warships, and a couple of times I'd "erase" the smaller molded on details by applying way too much primer.
So I researched what my options are and I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options:
Iwata HP-TH
Iwata HP-TR2
Iwata Eclipse CS with 0.5mm conversion.
From what I understand, a 0.5mm (or larger) needle/nozzle seems to be the sweet spot for spraying thicker and larger amount of paints. What I'm looking for is an AB that can spray enough wet paint over relatively large surfaces.
It would seem that the Eclipse, aside from it being a very popular AB for general use, can lay down a reasonable amount of paint with the 0.5mm conversion needle. It's also the cheapest of the three.
I've seen the HP-TH recommended on here a couple of times, and while I'll know for sure it'll get the job done, I have a feeling it's a little bit overkill for 1/700 scale... although I think in the distant future I'd be doing larger stuff (1/350 for example).
I've also come across the HP-TR2, and while it does seem similar to the TH, I can't seem to find too many reviews for this AB and was wondering where this one stands among others...

I can already see myself buying several AB in my future, but for now, I want to get something that would be excellent for spraying primers, or even for painting a single color, gloss coat, etc. Thanks for your advice!

I personally use an eclipse hp-cs and have the needle/nozzles to up it from .35 to .5 I used it to prime a motorcycle helmet not too long back and it sprayed and covered well and quickly..plus you'd be able to drop down to a smaller needle for smaller projects or if you'd ever get into illustration art or something.

I just made an impulse purchase with the gsi ps-290! A quick research looked like this one checked all my needs for now, and I was able to snag a new-condition on ebay for just $110 - cheaper than the hp-cs!
Thank you for suggesting this one, I'm looking forward to using it!

I do have them both, the HP-TH, and the PS290. The Iwata is a little longer in front of the trigger to accommodate the MAC Valve assembly. Aside from that, they are virtually identical - aside from the small cosmetic differences. The Procon is a fantastic value.

I was going to suggest the Mr Hobby 290. As you mentioned, the fan cap might be a little large for your needs right now, but the round cap will do a similar job as the Eclipse .5 but it give you the option of the fan in the future. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back