Cake painting (Kroma Kolor)

D

danielpalfrey

Ok, as above, I have a set of kroma kolor food grade paints. I was wondering if anyone has found a need to thicken the colour in one way or another?

The reason I ask is simple, I sprayed a little on some fondant icing, just barley coloured it but the colour immediately "spread out"

Is this my technique, to high a pressure or should i be thickening the colour?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,
I don't airbrush cakes but I've done a bit of decorating in my time, and after a quick google and it would seem that most cake decorators don't work any higher than 20PSI, and at a guess that would be for a base cover. Like any other airbrushing work, the finer detail you want , the lower the pressure will need to be. Be careful, if the fondant is still fresh the air pressure could dent the fondant.
the 'spreading out' could be either the pressure is to high or the fondant is still to fresh (damp) and the ink is 'bleeding'.
Make sure the fondant is dry before you attempt to paint.

I haven't tried ABing cakes yet, but I have painted some with a hairy brush and found thicker paint much better, but that isn't going to be much use in an AB I think, as you would need pretty high pressure, and that would mean more overspray and less control.

I am wondering if there is any kind of sealer you can get for the icing to give it a base to paint on? But I agree with Jackie, letting the fondant dry out will help.

I haven't tried ABing cakes yet, but I have painted some with a hairy brush and found thicker paint much better, but that isn't going to be much use in an AB I think, as you would need pretty high pressure, and that would mean more overspray and less control.

I am wondering if there is any kind of sealer you can get for the icing to give it a base to paint on? But I agree with Jackie, letting the fondant dry out will help.

with the hairy brush you would have used the gels or the pastes wouldn't you @Squishy ? the kroma kolor are more of a food color consistency, so in theory would behave like a reduced air brush paint...

Good grief, the world is gonna end @Squishy :eek: we're talking publicly about cake decorating and actually admitting we have dabbled in ladylike hobbies :confused::eek:ops:

Fondant icing is very soft and melt easily when wet , use the lower pressure posible and use very soft layers on it

The fondant was put on the cake the day before I tried to paint and seemed pretty dried to me but I was working at a higher pressure. 30 psi to be exact. So there's my problem.

Cheers

Once you've tried it lower let us know the outcome, it's handy for the knowledge bank:)

I have cake in the cupboard and will now have to eat it. Thanks :) Like the Cake decorating LADIES here have already said, I also think the air pressure could be a little high as that stuff is very thin like ink. I will keep an eye out here to see how you get on.

Lee

I have cake in the cupboard and will now have to eat it. Thanks :) Like the Cake decorating LADIES here have already said, I also think the air pressure could be a little high as that stuff is very thin like ink. I will keep an eye out here to see how you get on.

Lee
:eek::confused: @Squishy, see what he called us !! We may have to call in a few Ninja favors

Well I've never been called that before Lol!!! @jord001, Lee, you know I'm not very ladylike, but it's very polite of you to lie about that in public Lol!

I did actually use food colouring with my hairy brush, but I did let the fondant harden up some first. I wouldn't say you could do really fine detail, but it wasn't bad. I would be intersted to know how the spraying goes at low pressures, I haven't tried to use ABing on a cake yet.

I will have a work with my friend as she bakes for a living and AB's onto the icing etc quite often, although I don't think she does any detail work yet.

Lee

well, just for the sake of info, I got the mrs to bake a cake last night and cover it in fondant, so by saturday when i come to airbrush it should be lovely and dry, I will be adding a base colour and then doing some patterns in a contrasting colour. If I am happy with the peformance I will then try writing on the cake (even if I cheat and stencil it on there) ;)

I'll keep you posted and assuming it looks good will post a picture up :) If it looks like crap then I simply didnt bother trying to paint the cake ;)

The airbrush likely doesn't help been a little 5 pound thing. But I know it can produce good results as I have used it with ink to make the above eye

Back