California Air Tools

J

Johnny B

Anyone have any experience with their compressors? I'm looking at this one on ChicagoAirBrushSupply - California Air Tools 1650A Ultra Quiet Air Compressor (I can't post any links right now).

It looks a lot nicer than the one I have. I doubt I would buy it anytime soon as I may as well get some moneys worth out of mine but it heats up so quickly I get water spurting out, even with the water trap (it's a Paasche D500SR). Got to have a fan blowing on it all the time to get any real time in air brushing. Anyways my main curiousity here is the quality of California Air Tools as that compressor seems really nice and at a much better price when compared to equivalent ones from iwata or other big names. I cannot buy a cheapo loud one as I live in an apartment.

I don't have a California Air but my Lab-air runs the same motor/pump. Few manufacturers uses that motor. It's not dead silent like the ones running fridge motor but it's pretty quiet. I also live in a townhouse complex with neighbours right next to me. I can run it without disturbing them or even my wife sleeping in the room right next door with doors open.

I bought the 1650A. I had to take the heat shields off cause they would cause the compressor to overheat quickly.

Once I took off the heat shields, I have not run into overheating problems.

I also reconfigured it to install a water trap.

To do this, I had to move the over pressure safety valve to where the regulator is, then installed a water trap regulator to where the safety valve was.

I'd take a pic and post it, but this forum doesnt let me post links....

I bought the 1650A. I had to take the heat shields off cause they would cause the compressor to overheat quickly.

Once I took off the heat shields, I have not run into overheating problems.

I also reconfigured it to install a water trap.

To do this, I had to move the over pressure safety valve to where the regulator is, then installed a water trap regulator to where the safety valve was.

I'd take a pic and post it, but this forum doesnt let me post links....

This sounds like something that would be handy to know for a lot of us, you can post your photos and links after 5 posts, when you've reached your 5 do please tell us more in the tips and tricks or the compressor section, also if you (or anyone else) know/s how to install a tank on a tank-less membrane compressor, that would also be appreciated.

Every cent saved with handy tricks, is a cent more for the important things like paint and airbrushes:encouragement:

I would buy it from California air if they will sell it too you with out the middle man....
CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS, INC.
Siempre Viva Road Unit 3A
San Diego, California 92154

Phone: (619) 407 - 7905
Fax: (619) 424 - 8697

Email: Info@CALIFORNIAAIRTOOLS.COM
Reason I suggest this is because I have gave Chicago airbrush supply 3 chances and they struck out 3 times. Just a thought and maybe you can get better answers from the company that makes it.

I would buy it from California air if they will sell it too you with out the middle man....
CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS, INC.
Siempre Viva Road Unit 3A
San Diego, California 92154

Phone: (619) 407 - 7905
Fax: (619) 424 - 8697

Email: Info@CALIFORNIAAIRTOOLS.COM
Reason I suggest this is because I have gave Chicago airbrush supply 3 chances and they struck out 3 times. Just a thought and maybe you can get better answers from the company that makes it.

I've decided to hold off on a new compressor. Not incredibly happy with the one I have but will use it until it breaks or I can sell it or I simply need something better. I did place an order with chicago airbrush supply though for a new air brush and some paints. I'm actually hoping to make a slight alteration to my order and am hoping that will go smoothly hehe. What were your dealings with them like Mr. Micron? poor cs? or shipping problems? or?

I've decided to hold off on a new compressor. Not incredibly happy with the one I have but will use it until it breaks or I can sell it or I simply need something better. I did place an order with chicago airbrush supply though for a new air brush and some paints. I'm actually hoping to make a slight alteration to my order and am hoping that will go smoothly hehe. What were your dealings with them like Mr. Micron? poor cs? or shipping problems? or?

Not having the items in stock after they said they had everything and my order was ready, they ended up sending it to me in 6 packages , and than they messed up the order. Instead of getting the larger sizes bottles they sent me a 4oz bottle instead of the 16 oz bottles I had ordered, Long story short it took over 3 months to get them to make it right. Oh and that was the last time I have ever dealt with them.
So I hope your transaction goes smoother than any of mine.
If you live in the US I only suggest calling David Monnig (Owner)at Coast Airbrush. He will also match any competitor price.
The customer service I got from Chicago airbrush was to say the least non existent compared to anytime I call Coast Airbrush I always talk to a person who knows everything about my order.

If you live in the US I only suggest calling David Monnig (Owner)at Coast Airbrush. He will also match any competitor price.
The customer service I got from Chicago airbrush was to say the least non existent compared to anytime I call Coast Airbrush I always talk to a person who knows everything about my order.

Thats where I got mine from (Coast AB). I will be doing business with them again. Good prices, good CS.

Hi Kainam if you have a picture of it on your computer you can just upload the picture in a post.. then you don't have to link to it:)

Here we go.

On this photo, the safety valve was originally where the green arrow points to.
I had to move it to the side where the red arrow is pointing to bacause the water trap/regulator is too tall to fit there.
DSCN1370s.jpg

And here is a shot of the pistons. I replaced the heat shield on the right side for this photo.
As you can see, the heat shield severly inhibits air flow and cooling.
DSCN1371s.jpg

I will probably change that watertrap/regulator out for a better one.
It is just a cheap one adjustable from 0 - 100 psi, where the compressor goes up to 120 psi.
I have a feeling that it is the cause of a small leak I have. Over the span of 24 hours, it will leak from 120 psi to 90 psi, enough to kick on the compressor and top off the tank.

I plan on getting this one made by SMC at Coast AB

aw20lg.gif

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AW20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Kainam. You're the only person I've seen so far who actually has one of these compressors. I have to order it from Canada, I can't find anything in Canada that seems as good for as good a price. I'm not sure how I feel about modifying my compressor though. Anyone know if that Iwata Pistol Grip Water Filter is good enough? I notice the tutor uses it but not sure if he also has a bigger water trap at the compressor itself or not.

Well, Ive been known to split the cases on a motorcycle engine with less than 300 miles on it to bore and stroke it.....

Adding a water trap to a compressor is nothing. :beguiled:

Anyone know if that Iwata Pistol Grip Water Filter is good enough? I notice the tutor uses it but not sure if he also has a bigger water trap at the compressor itself or not.

The grip filter is as a last resort, dont rely solely on the grip trap. The best is to have 2, one on the compressor itself and one close to the airbrush.

Back