Can anyone recommend the best airbrush system for first purchase?

L

laurasilverfoote

Hi,

I am a painter/artist/contemporary - and do mostly oil painting, drawing with various inks, pencil, pastels, etc. large scale mark making abstract etc..

I have never used an airbrush, or spray paint - but am now working on taking some sketches i did in in - long lines/mark making - and want to take them large scale on canvas. The only way to layer the lines like they are in original sketches is to go - airbrush. :)

Its time and Im stoked to have an airbrush system to work on.

I am on a budget. Id like to spend no more than 250.00. Less is better.

I am completely baffled by who to ask. And what to get.

I can get the paint later, after I make the initial purchase.

The paintings would go as big as h5ft by 12wft. The 6 foot long hose sounds great - but if I could add an extension that would be great too.

Can anyone recommend reliable solid products for a start up - complete so I can just get to practicing nd working?

A complete starter kit (don't mind ordering from different companies. The whole starter kits from one company may not be the way to go - I don't know?)

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Laura

you can get a descent airbrush for 150 dollars but a compressor is gonna cost you 200 buck or more...but that is the initial investment......just paint after that unless there is a mishap.....hobby lobby has a kit for about for about 170..without the compressor.

You can get sets of ebay and amazon, i got mine from ebay the compressor was approx £70 with two free airbrushes but there not up to much i then bought a Neo aurbrush, dig around youll find something for your budget

Ride the storm

Hi I bought one of my air brushes from Coastal airbrush $120.00 my other airbrush from TCP 140.00 it is the Iwata BCS on the web and ordered my compressor from Amazon for 160.00 (californina tool) very quit. So for $200.00 and change you can get one of the best airbrushes and a great compressor. Don't buy a little compressor it sounds like you will need the better one like the one I bought. I hope this helps.

Since your talking large scale stuff I would suggest as I do for everything anyways LOL a Badger 155 Anthem..They blast away in comparrison to a lot of guns without needle changes, they are siphon so hold lots of paint for basing and can do finer stuff too..they cost around $150ish..Buy a $70 cheap 25 litre chinese compressor (You'll prob get a good extension hose with it if you can wait for a sale), it will get you through a few years, the other $30 change will likely be needed to sort out spare paint bottles or extra fittings or water traps...Best of luck, theres a few options out there that will give you a very good start in that price range and are brand names so spares and such are rather easy to come across..GL :)

Thank you! So, as far as set up goes- if i buy a California 1650A Compressor, and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush or an airbrush you recommended - how do I put those things together? Do I literally just get a hose and attach compressor to brush - and paint to brush? Are there instructions somewhere (you tube?) - this is GREAt help. Thank YOU! also- what about moisture wicking ???

Thank you! So, as far as set up goes- if i buy a California 1650A Compressor, and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush or an airbrush you recommended - how do I put those things together? Do I literally just get a hose and attach compressor to brush - and paint to brush? Are there instructions somewhere (you tube?) - this is GREAt help. Thank YOU! also- what about moisture wicking ?? I was looking into just getting an iwata studio compressor and iwata hp-bcd airbrush to make it easy - but it loos like no ones even using the iwatas. i like the idea of branching on the compressor - just wondering about the moisture wicking part - and how do i go about assembling a compressor and airbrush.

Not quite sure what you mean by moisture wicking, but definitely get a water trap. When you choose your airbrush, and in my opinion the eclipse is a great choice (but we all have our favourites for different reasons, though for really large areas will take a while to cover) as it as great all rounder that can also do fine detail, make sure you buy the correct hose adapter (or quick release, male and female parts) for it, to connect it to your compressor hose. I have a branch on my compressor and then a pressure regulator for each branch so that my hubs can use one for his air tools, and I use one for ABing, we can both use it at the same time, but I have a monster compressor.

I'd agree with the choice of airbrush. The Iwata eclipse HP-CS is what I would recommend. It's just a fairly simple, tough, really capable airbrush.

I'll try to list what you'll all need off the top of my head, but I might forget a thing or two...
-compressor
-3/8" air hose (25' should do. It doesn't need to all be stretched out straight. The main point of the longer hose is to let the air cool so the moisture trap works better)
-air filter/moisture trap (it can pay off to spend a little extra money here, but any quality, name-brand unit will work)
-pressure gauge/regulator (again, any quality unit should do)
-3/8" to 1/4" hose adapter
-airbrush hose (which you can buy in different lengths)
-airbrush

also-
-PTFE tape for taping the threads
-Quick disconnects aren't really "essential", but they really do come in handy. My favorites are the DeVilbiss high-flow connectors, but "normal" hardware-store grade ones will work fine for airbrush, too.
- mini-quick disconnect- like the Grex G-MAC of any similar unit. Not required by any means, but they do come in handy, especially with on-the-fly air adjustment.

Back