Can I AB over alrady existing pencil shading

T

thorofasgard

Hi
I have drawn a picture of Captain America and I have shaded it in pencil see thumbnail image:

I would like to shade it using my airbrush, can I go over existing pencil shading or is it better to remove shading as I go along replacing with AB paint?

I am not a very good artist but I enjoy drawing and AB, unfortunately I can't yet airbrush without a drawing and I am always nervous when it comes to AB shading because there is no going back, where as a pencil you are able to erase or smudge back.

Any guidance is really appreciated.

Attachments

• Captain America.jpg
    Captain America.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 38
It's better to remove the shading as you go, but in the future you would be better to apply a light sketch/line drawing and apply shades and blends using only your airbrush, the problem with too much pencil work is you would be going too dark very quickly.

What your doing here lends it'self very nicely to some free hand shielding using your line drawing as a guide, your a better artist than you think and what's important is that you want to do it, I'm pretty sure that you probably get a little frustrated because you can't just let loose, but, you actually can, check out some airbrush tutors early airbrush control videos, a lot of what you want to do is easier than you think.

Thanks very much it is nice to know there are two options. Madbrush, sketching with the airbrush! I will look at the early videos again but I do feel restricted kike you have said. Time and lots of practice normally does the trick.
Thanks

Practice is all it takes, the tutor also has practice sheets you can down free to exercise dots lines and dagger strokes, you can practice these in between messing around with your own stuff.

I didn't mean to sketch with your airbrush, I meant to do your drawing with your pencil but without the shading, then you can just follow your lines with your airbrush and all the shading too.

You could also cut it out with an xacto blade and use it as a stencil, very very lightly dusting in some color where the shading is to give you a compatible guide to airbrush over.you will learn over time to line up edges with reference points such as the middle of his throat the curve stops in line with the center if his lip. As long as you work with very light layers it's very hard to go to the point of no return. Have faith in yourself you can do it.

Personally, I would keep your shaded drawing as is, this is a piece you are happy with it is a point in time. Make a tracing of the out lines onto a fresh substrate and ab that. you could even create 2 and use one for masking. If you are happy, or not with the result, you still have your shaded version and an edited version.
Just my opinion you understand.
Iv

Thanks for the information really appreciated. Madbrush - sorry for the misunderstanding. I like the idea of making a stencil that sounds pretty cool.

Xvwarrior what you have said makes sense and enable me to practice the varying ideas provided by others. Thanks!

Well just to clarify, if you keep the original, as you progress you can look back on it and see your progress measureably. There is a wealth of experience and advice on this site, dont try and take on board too much at once. You could class them as tools, you need to try all of them but you also need to see the effect of each one individually and slowly build up your arsenal.
cheers
Iv

Back