Can I paint the interior of a house?

Everso

Young Tutorling
Hi all,

I just started airbrushing after getting a 3D printer. I have a small compressor - the sort of thing you see on Amazon for £70-£80 and a double action air brush. I'm starting to get the hang of things and even with little to no artistic talent I am having fun colouring models.

The wife is convinced I can paint some walls inside the house (I can't brush/roller paint to save my life) and to be honest ... I don't know if she is right or not. She is talking about emulsion wartered down and spraying onto walls (after masking of course). I have had a bit of a google and seen mention of household pigments being larger so need to use a larger nozel but ... I mean can you - should you paint a wall with a model airbrush.

And yes I figure it will take forever bur apprently that does not matter because it's just my time and what was I going to do anyway - just play games or something.

If You have the time then yeah go for it :) However it will probably take a very long time! better to buy a cheap HVLP sprayer and use that.

Yeah thats what I was thinking of, that would be much quicker than an airbrush.

However My advice is just a guestimate, maybe someone who knows what they are talking about may be of better help :)

you will need a proper compressor and a spray gun with a big nozzle , I know there are "special spray guns" for spraying wall paint that have a build in compressor I bought one about a year ago to spray paint our walls I did read the instructions and it stated that the wall paint needs to be thinned down quite a bit so I havnt used it yet as my wife wants me to paint the walls white and I am sure I will need to spray many layers to cover the current terra colour and I decided that I will roll on the first layer as I know the paint we have will cover the terra quite good and finish the job with that spray gun

you will need a proper compressor and a spray gun with a big nozzle

I don't know if my compressor counts as a proper one. It is a lot smaller than the type I've seen used for things like air tools and tires - but it's not one of those little plastic toy types. I'm not going to buy a new compressor just for decorating - I would go for one of these £9 HVLP sprayers though - if it don’t work it's not like I have spent a fortune. The alternative is to pay a decorator to come in and do it. As we are looking at eventually doing the whole house (room by room) this will save a fortune.

I will just state again - I cannot paint - or roller or use pads. It always just looks crap and I hate the finish. Streaks and brush marks all over it. I have had many people who cannot understand this and "teach me” - so for they have all walked away after agreeing I am right and should just pay someone...

you will need something like the HVLP spray gun mentioned above

I doubt the compressor you have will cope with a spray gun, it may run for 5 min then overheat and die.
its not just a case of hooking up a spray gun to any compressor. you need to make sure the compressor will supply enough air for the spray gun to work properly.

Borrow / hire a workshop compressor, buy your spray gun, paint the house and you're done.

I wouldn’t advise using a spray gun inside your house. Even those marketed as having low overspray levels will fill the room with a cloud that will settle everywhere. You can hire “airless” sprayed that are designed for house painting. Check them out as they’re a great option for anyone who can spray and are designed to be used indoors with house paint.

You'll need at least a 1.5 mini HPLV gun and a compressor that can run and hold up to long term spraying.
Trying to do it with an airbrush is like scrubbing 100 foot square floor with a tooth brush.
Also you will have to pretty much tape and cover anywhere you do not want paint. IE light fixture, the floor ,molding and anything that you can't move out of the area, Seal off all doors and door frames so the dust it make does not go to rooms or places you don't wish it too.
using brush and rollers isn't that had, Most people mistake is dipping the paint brush too deep in the paint and then trying to make it smooth,
As with any paint job layers are the answer , Light coats usually 2 once in a while 3 depending on what color you are wanting to cover ,
Roller don't be cheap buy the good stuff that is a primer and color all in one , That way one coat and you done. Do not stop half way through and keep mixing the paint between roller pan refills.

The airless one SiRoxx still give you a paint cloud just not as big of one as a air system does.

Hi all,

I just started airbrushing after getting a 3D printer. I have a small compressor - the sort of thing you see on Amazon for £70-£80 and a double action air brush. I'm starting to get the hang of things and even with little to no artistic talent I am having fun colouring models.

The wife is convinced I can paint some walls inside the house (I can't brush/roller paint to save my life) and to be honest ... I don't know if she is right or not. She is talking about emulsion wartered down and spraying onto walls (after masking of course). I have had a bit of a google and seen mention of household pigments being larger so need to use a larger nozel but ... I mean can you - should you paint a wall with a model airbrush.

And yes I figure it will take forever bur apprently that does not matter because it's just my time and what was I going to do anyway - just play games or something.
Everso,

Most professional house painters use an airless paint sprayer for the outside of the house and rollers for interiors. If the interior is completely empty the majority will usually use an airless sprayer in that situation. If you aren't familiar with what an airless sprayer is, here's a link: https://www.graco.com/us/en/contrac...paint-sprayers/electric-airless-sprayers.html

I know you said you're not feeling confident with rollers, however, I encourage you look this guy's video.
He explains things, and how to do it (also takes into the account body movement, how much to load the brush and such), for a ton of things regarding home DIY.
I've watched bunch of his videos, and this one isn't the one I was thinking of, but I peeked a bit and it looks the same.

Yup, there is a reason they have fans sucking out the volume of a paint shop at a rate of air changes per minute! Even airless, you are going to have so much overspray it won't be funny. Leave the spraying for outside.

Everso,

Most professional house painters use an airless paint sprayer for the outside of the house and rollers for interiors. If the interior is completely empty the majority will usually use an airless sprayer in that situation. If you aren't familiar with what an airless sprayer is, here's a link: https://www.graco.com/us/en/contrac...paint-sprayers/electric-airless-sprayers.html
And I would add learning how to use an airless to get a good finish is going to take more than the time you will spend doing a couple of rooms... more like a couple of dozen houses before you are confident, and that would be coming from a spray painting background.

We've had several commercial building spray painted inside, worth it on large expanses of complicated services (this was mainly on ceilings with exposed services and cabling/basket where everything was to end up the same colour, would have taken forever with a brush!

I'd say for house interiors not worth the hassle unless you're bashing out new builds where you have the option of doing it before 2nd fix electrics etc.

I've seen folk like Mickey Harris airbrush whole walls but that's more of an artwork/mural thing. Not sure what paints he uses but I can't see an emulsion working well....

Back