can I spray this ?

My main point was that yes, there are respirators rated for nearly any task and i'm pretty sure they do in fact filter the chemical from the air, if the concentration is low enough. If the concentration is high enough then a single continuous breath can draw some of the chemical past the filter anyhow and that's when you have to go to supplied air.

( I would use PPE if i were using the spray bottle for an extended period of time)

a spray bottle with 5%-10% sodium hypochlorite (which would be sstraight clorox). the recommendation is simply avoid spraying it in your eyes or on your skin and use in a well ventilated area

Last edited:
My main point was that yes, there are respirators rated for nearly any task and i'm pretty sure they do in fact filter the chemical from the air, if the concentration is low enough. If the concentration is high enough then a single continuous breath can draw some of the chemical past the filter anyhow and that's when you have to go to supplied air.

( I would use PPE if i were using the spray bottle for an extended period of time)
what is PPE?

Anyway that tells you why they don't use a mask with the spraybottle and what I personally would do myself. The difference with the brush is simply that you increase your chance of breathing it in or getting it in your eyes, to a point of being unavoidable without PPE
Either way i wouldn't be anxious to put bleach in a $150 airbrush and if i felt the need i'd use a $5 throwaway brush.

Last edited:
Just a little update. As you all know seller send me the wrong color. He decided I can keep that color, and he will send me the right one free of charge. So... I had a little testing play time.

Made 3 very light coats with regular painting brush on black t-shirt, I heat set all 3 coats, and results are : much much more brighter white, then air brush color. Much more softer feel then using airbrush color, even much more softer feel then using transparent base and airbrush color on top of it.

This was results with regular white, I think when I get super coat the results would be even better, cause I would not need so much coats. Looks to me I am on the right track.

Probably I can't spray this color with airbrush right? What about those little paint guns? -.- I seen some cheap one at my local store with 1.5 needle for 35 euros...

I don't know how thick the stuff you have is but to give you some idea.... With latex house paint
2.0 will spray wellwith about 15% water
1.8 will spray well with about 25% water
1.4 will spray well with about 50% water
A 1.5 is going to spray well with something about as thick as latex with 40% water

.5 airbrush compares closely to 1.2 gun

If its thinner than housepaint but still thick enough to brush on I'd guess a 1.5 will be close.

If that helps compare.

Last edited:
I don't know how thick the stuff you have is but to give you some idea.... With latex house paint
2.0 will spray wellwith about 15% water
1.8 will spray well with about 25% water
1.4 will spray well with about 50% water
A 1.5 is going to spray well with something about as thick as latex with 40% water

.5 airbrush compares closely to 1.2 gun

If its thinner than housepaint but still thick enough to brush on I'd guess a 1.5 will be close.

If that helps compare.
the thickness like on this video starting at 9 seconds:

I don't see that spraying through anything (maybe a drywall texture hopper gun) without a lot of thinning. try thinning some down enough to go through your brush. If it works at all then yeah it will work better with the gun but still with plenty of thinning.

I don't see that spraying through anything (maybe a drywall texture hopper gun) without a lot of thinning. try thinning some down enough to go through your brush. If it works at all then yeah it will work better with the gun but still with plenty of thinning.
Thanks for idea. I am gonna play with this and see what results I can get.

I don't know. I have my doubts that anything will atomize that stuff unthinned, It's like pudding thickness. Maybe an airless gun,,,,but I wouldn't count on it. I'm just guessing though.

Today, I was able to watch the video and damn that stuff looks thick. Screen printing a round or oval area on the shirt, curing, then airbrush your design might be the only way, but would the airbrushed art hold up on the screened base after repeated trips through the washing machine? I liked the angel wings the woman did towards the end, nice crisp lines. Keep us updated on your results... And, I was reminded of this thread over Thanksgiving when my wife filled the sink with hot water & bleach to sanitize the kitchen after prepping a couple of turkeys. I couldn't breath in there until the mixture cooled down. Wish I had a respirator handy...

Today, I was able to watch the video and damn that stuff looks thick. Screen printing a round or oval area on the shirt, curing, then airbrush your design might be the only way, but would the airbrushed art hold up on the screened base after repeated trips through the washing machine?

Good question. On t-shirt forum they say that with water based screen printing ink you color the fibers of t-shirt, that's why there is soft hand on a t-shirt. They highly recommended that super cover for under base. That's why I order it. Unfortunately I didn't get it, but I was checking royal mail tracking and color is in my country. So I guess I need to get it today, maybe tomorrow.
But still, i tried with standard white and results are very good. I suspect that super cover will do even better... So in my theory :D airbrush color should stick to the fibers which are colored. -.- But that is just a theory of mine :D Washing multiple times would be the answer.

Still need to order bunch of stuff, like the correct mesh. But for that I need to get my hands on a color, cause there is info on it, how thick mesh you need, to push that color on to the t-shirt. My squeegees are waiting for some action. I got 3 of them, different sizes and correct firmness.

But if I went so far with the whole under base crap, I sad to my self can I find another idea. That's why I started to think about spray guns. They are cheap, just like Robbyrocket sad.

But like you noticed, this paint is so thick. :D Weird that it gives softer hand then airbrush colors...

edit: not needed for oval or square screen printing . For example: My cousin wanna have punisher t-shirt on black. I created stencil with my cutter. Of punisher logo. So I can put white underbase in to that stencil and then do the airbrushing. I can still get softness around the skull, if I spray white airbrush color around white underbase. I think...

Last edited:
here are the differences. They have 3 whites:
STANDARD WHITE is formulated with significantly higher levels of titanium dioxide pigment and delivers much better opacity. However, there is a slight trade- off with softness of handle.

SUPERCOVER WHITE is our premium opaque white. It has the highest levels of titanium dioxide pigment and binder for use on dark coloured fabrics. Excellent opacity in a water based ink!

FIRST DOWN WHITE is used as an under-base or flash white by Trade printers who wish to print on dark fabrics but use regular Aqua colours to retain their superior softness and vibrancy. Normally used only with multi-station print facilities.

One more thing if I went so off from airbrushing. Screen printers also use discharged inks. Not all, but many of guys do. They say there's a lot of fumes when working with that type of ink. What are discharged inks?
here is explanation:
Discharge ink is a water based product that is formulated to deactivate the dyes used on natural fabrics.
http://forwardprinting.com/what-is-discharge-printing

edit: this stuff is inside of those colors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rongalite

is this something like bleach?

Wild stuff. Pretty cool. Sounds like it kind of does what bleach or peroxide does to fabric dyes. But without eating the fabric.
It's nothing like bleach chemically, In fact it says it neutralizes bleach.

Sounds like that stuff has some serious potential to do what you were hoping to achieve and is even designed to do it.
That stuff is in my opinion the most promising thing you've come across.

Back