Can someone with experience take a look with me at these compressors? (Advice needed)

M

maffie

hello all,

unfortunately my compressor still leaks oil, and I don't think It can't be fixed. So I have to find another compressor.
On the internet I found these two compressors. It looks like those are "cheap".
I find it very difficult to read all the specifications and to know if it is good or not.
I want to ask if some of you guys with experience want to take time to take a look with me and tell me what you think.

Right now I spray with a Badger 150 (0.5), a iwata revolution CR (0,35) and a H&S evolution (0,2) on canvas and cardboard.
In the future I would like to spray with a bigger size for clear coat and maybe murals.

Option 1:
http://www.noormatrading.com/oil-free-silent-compressor-4l-0-75hp.html

Optioneel 2:
http://www.noormatrading.com/oil-free-silent-compressor-20l-2hp.html

Thanks for youre time and help,

Best wishes, Maffie

I would be a bit questionable on the noise level. I know they say 53 an 56 Db but with an oil free I would be a bit skeptical. The 2 horse power would fill the tank quite nice so there would be less run time and less heat build up which would mean less condensation in the tank and air line. I would most likely go with the second unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be a bit questionable on the noise level. I know they say 53 an 56 Db but with an oil free I would be a bit skeptical. The 2 horse power would fill the tank quite nice so there would be less run time and less heat build up which would mean less condensation in the tank and air line. I would most likely go with the second unit.

Okey, thanks for helping me! Good to know that I must not forget that less run time mens less condensation.
Is the 3 Db difference a huge difference? Do you know what level of Db is not so "silence" anymore?
And last question, do I have to deal with a lot of shut down time for the compressor to cool down? I mean do I have to stop after a short time for a long period to cool down?

I looked up a a comparison and 53 decibels is around the same a a large transformer running and you are 100 feet away. In other words some noise but not horrible. And no you should be able to run that for a couple hours easy with no problems. Just remember to put a good moisture trap at the compressor.

The down time should be minimal with the 2nd one as it flows more air 51L/min. verses 107L/min.plus has a bigger tank so it will take longer to use the air
Thank you so much for helping me!

I have run a 2h 4 gallon pancake compressor for 8 hour runs day after day and never had an issue so with a 20 liter tank that should give you plenty of cool down time. Besides they are built to take heat from running. You can hook a fan on it if you think it is over heating

Oké guys..I think i go to this store this week. I could ask if it is possible to hear them running, so I know how much sound it makes.
With youre answores I feel more confedience to by one of these new compared to a second hand. I am a little bit scared for second hand compressors after my last buying.

You should be able to run 2 airbrushes and maybe even 3 at once with that compressor. Now if you are planning to use an HVLP gun you may run into an issue because they require a lot more CFMs. Be aware that as the compressor wares it it could become a bit louder.

If you want to use an hvlp for clear, get the biggest tank you can, I would say 25 litres is a minimum, and research ways to cope with noise. Its possible to build a box to deaden some sound, but you need to make sure there is sufficient airflow and access to drain the tank.

Okay I did a bit of research on Db levels. The super silent series are supposed to run at 30 Db which is barely audible about as quiet as a good refrigerator. My great white shark runs about 35 to 40 Db which you can hear but you could hold a normal conversation standing next to it without raising your voice so at 56 Db it will be slightly noisy but not unbearable. You may need to raise your voice a pinch when it runs.

The motor type on those are the same as the ones fitted on California Air and GMC compressors. I also have a similar motor on my medical compressor but it only fund at 1/4hp. It is quiet enough not to bother my other half in the bedroom right next to my studio with the doors open.

You should be able to run 2 airbrushes and maybe even 3 at once with that compressor. Now if you are planning to use an HVLP gun you may run into an issue because they require a lot more CFMs. Be aware that as the compressor wares it it could become a bit louder.

What do you mean with CFMs?
And do you mean that the compressor can make more noise when he is getting older?

Sorry I was busy and couldn't answer. With HVLP guns they are able to spray at low pressure but the consumer a higher volume of air because of the large nozzle and needles. CFM is the measurements of that amount of air. With airbrushes you really don't need to worry too much about that. But if you are going to clear coat automotive work then it is something to consider.

every air tool and compressor will state a CFM figure.
when picking a tool, make sure that the 'max' CFM required for the tool, isnt the same as the 'max' output of the compressor. otherwise your compressor will constantly run, you will have inconsistent flow at the tool due to lack of proper pressure.

Back