Can you Airbrush with Kill Rust paint?

Hey spit - i would be a little worried about what the stuff would do to internals of the AB?

Ok thanks for thanks for the quick reply! Do you think it may destroy the inner workings of it?

Buy a couple of cheap ebay a/brushes off ebay and use one to play and check and you can use the other one to spray

Ok thanks for thanks for the quick reply! Do you think it may destroy the inner workings of it?
I dont know the chemical make up of the rust remover/converter stuff - just that the two types I have worked with are both quite nasty and I found that a roller brush worked well to get it applied to the surface.

What I'm thinking is since this isn't average paint but really though nastier stuff, that if u dont get your exspensive airbrush super clean that it would stick to the internals and would be almost impossible to get off after curing.

If u really want to do it use some 20$ knock offs, atleast its not much of a problem to trow em away.

If you are thinking I have this paint so why not use it for practice not worth the hastles buy airbrush specific or automotive paint depending on your AB. If you are looking to apply this paint and you are looking to spray it in hard reach spots a small hvlp with a larger nozzle size as rust paint is usually thick and is for a reason along with needing special reduction to keep it's rust converting properties.

Are there any brands of everyday paints available at for example hardware stores in Australia that I can use for airbrushing instead of forking out the little bit of spare money I have left after buying an airbrush to by auto air on eBay?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is regular paint though. The company name is just called Killrust.
AHHHH - ok - now I get it :) But it still holds true to get the correct reducer (thinners etc) but this is an EPOXY paint and I suggest that if you did paint with this paint here - that you clean the ABs VERY quickly after using them - epoxy paints HARDEN, as apposed to acrylics that dry. It looks very similar to a paint available here in SA that is called Hammerite, nice stuff but expensive. I would still consider using a cheap AB.

Cheers Mate! Will try on a cheap one. Maybe! Are there any other widely available paints you can use in airbrushing?

Does anyone know if there are there any other widely available paints (hardware stores ect.) you can use in airbrushing?

Spitfire - Daler and Rowney FW artists ink seem to be mostly available in my neck of the wood from artists shops (No dedicated AB shops in SA afaik) but I know there are a few in your side of the drink. AND there is a place called Airbrush Australia, Airbrush Megastore, Auto-Air Colors, Createx Colors, Wicked Colors, Australian Importer they seem to have a good variety.

It also depends what you are wanting to do and the other learned ladies and gentlemen on this forum will all have their own opinions about spectra tex, createx, wicked etc.

edit - I don't know if I answered your question right - the trick to ABing is the reducing - maybe go to a model shop and get some Revell/Tamiya to try. I have used a standard green QD enamel on a cheep bottom feed when spraying a gate. worked well, but then I wasn't interested in shading :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if there are there any other widely available paints (hardware stores ect.) you can use in airbrushing?
Well, you're doing something i tried to do when i begun, try to buy cheap paints because 40$ for a set of wicked seems a lot. But u use so little paint when airbrushing that it doesnt really matter, im using wicked 1/3 of the time i paint and the colors i've used about 1/3 of, the white 3/4. If i'd only use it i'd use a kit a year.

so for 12 months of painting u pay 40$, thats like a lil more than 3 bucks a month. Do u want to go the hard way wich will annoy u to save 3 dollars a month? Plus some cheap paints can mess your 150$ airbrush up easily.

Its not worth going the easy paint way, your painting is as strong as the weakest link, paint and the airbrush and your skills are the most important links.

Cheers for the replies!
Thanks rick,
I thought if it runs out quick than its a rip off!

maybe go to a model shop and get some Revell/Tamiya to try.
Tamiya paint is quite expensive over here $4 for 10ml!
Cheers again for the replies,
Cade:joyous:

Back