Candy colors and matt finish

F

FirePanther

I was wondering if candy colors also become alive when using a matt clearcoat in stead of high gloss clearcoat.
Is it just the clearcoat that makes it come alive or is it the shiny part of the high gloss clearcoat?

Any experience?

(I want to use auto-air colors, but I think it goes for any paint)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clear coat def makes a vast difference to the shiny- ness I mainly use auto air an wicked paints they come alive when cleared an in the sunlight:)

Ahw was just edeting my question lol

I mean the diff between a matt clearcoat or gloss clearcoat. Some object I dont want to look to shiny, but do want to give it some spicey color.

:D No worries got to be honest I've not used matt finish clear.......so keep me posted on the results when you get done

I think the perception of depth works better with polished clear as light can go straight through it creating the illusion of depth whereas with a matt finish light is reflected of the rougher surface and doesn't penetrate to your base coat with the details under the candy.
Think of it like looking through a clean vs slightly dirty window in a glass bottomed boat if you like :) This is also why any ab work 'pops' when cleared, you take the roughness away and let light to the colours.

hth,
Mick.

I use both matte and gloss lacquer, depending on the effect I'm looking for. My experience over candies or metallics is pretty much like OZAirbrush described above. It is the multiple layers of gloss that give the candies the depth of color. With a matte agent, the more coats you apply, the "foggier" the color will be. If you can afford to play around on a practice surface, you might want to try making only your last coat of clear a matte finish. Or, mix your gloss and matte to create a "satin" finish so the multiple layers don't create such a foggy look?

It will be some time till I can try, have to order everything haha... But will try. Its mainly for paintings I want to try this, so dont need much layers there. Also gonna try 2-3 layers of gloss and 1 matte after that, to have some body on it and get rid of the shine. Or maybe gloss finish and rubbing agent. Will need to try :)

Why not just add some matting agent to your clear coat ,i do this when a matt finish is required and its adjustable so you can make the effect more satin if required .

Dindnt think of that one yet... Was still in the airbrush thinking... When the clear is done with a mini and not with the airbrush, this would make this easy. All this info info info ;)

1 Thing i forgot to mention is that you should be aware that any matt/satin clear coat finish will if polished with any type of compound designed for rejuvenating a finish or flatting will actually make either finish a gloss if you continue polishing .For an example i did a motorcycle repair and trying to match it in regards to the matt finish was near imposable due to it having 6 years or so of owners cleaning and polishing .So if you are doing a new piece of work just keep a note of which clear you used and what amount of additive/agent was mixed in to achieve your effect. Especially handy if its for a customer repair later or you need to redo a piece of your own work .

Good one, but luckely I aint doing cars and stuff :) (dont think the my girl would like a car in the living just now either :p )
First have to learn all of this too haha

I use both matte and gloss lacquer, depending on the effect I'm looking for. My experience over candies or metallics is pretty much like OZAirbrush described above. It is the multiple layers of gloss that give the candies the depth of color. With a matte agent, the more coats you apply, the "foggier" the color will be. If you can afford to play around on a practice surface, you might want to try making only your last coat of clear a matte finish. Or, mix your gloss and matte to create a "satin" finish so the multiple layers don't create such a foggy look?

Agreed. If you clear the job off, then flat is down then apply a flowcoat of matt/satin you will get a cleaner look, the effect can still be stunning without the gloss due to the "luminescence" of the candy.

Another way to achieve the satin/matt look is by using a 3inch DA sander with an ultra-fine pad like Mirka 4000 grit, this will also fix a matt/satin job that has glossed up from polishing.

hope no one minds me hijacking this thread but i have never used candys just ordered a set of inspire candys want to paint a bike tank using candy red to finish what colour is best to use as base paint thanks

First a note on the matte clear I used some on a project about 2 months ago the way you spray it on also effects the matte. I sprayed it with wet coats and it gave me a satin look which was goos because that is what the customer was looking for. As far as under the candy red goes depends on the effect candies are a trans color which is what makes them look so deep a common color choise under candy red is silver.

Back