Cannot screw nozzle back in...

Michal

Gravity Guru
hello everyone! i got my airbrush out after very long break and it needed a deep clean before i could use it.
So i did strip a whole gun completely and cleaned ir from old paint, now inside thread where nozzle go i had to go in there with little brush to get all of the old paint off and after doing this I cant screw nozzle back in, is it possible that i damaged thread inside body? and if i did what can i do to fix it? thanks!

Attachments

• 82061028_585388005583941_5978743940893900800_n.jpg
    82061028_585388005583941_5978743940893900800_n.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 82430724_2984555258242314_642113442001453056_n.jpg
    82430724_2984555258242314_642113442001453056_n.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 34
it looks like you used a little brush that has a metal wire core so yes you could have damaged the threads and if there is any one who knows airbrushes it is @DaveG
but before you write off the threads have you tried to place the nozzle on the needle and guide it in the airbrush ? I use that trick all the time as I am sure that the nozzle goes in straight and I cant see what I am doing with those tiny nozzles lol

for your future adventures get yourself dental brushes.
220px-TePe_Interdental_Brushes_original.jpg

people here will advise you with which ones.

for your future adventures get yourself dental brushes.

people here will advise you with which ones.

Some places call them ‘Interdental’

Pretty much anything without the metal shaft !
They can be found near the toothbrushes at your local pharmacy / grocery store, or good ol’ eBay

ok thanks a lot guys, will try needle trick for sure. im just worried, if the thread inside body is damaged does that mean my airbrush is basically ruined?

im just worried, if the thread inside body is damaged does that mean my airbrush is basically ruined?
Good question. I'm kinda nobish, what kinda airbrush is that?

also you can buy separate body parts, just for example:
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Harder-Steenbeck-126424-Body.html#SID=2052
That's why I was wondering what kinda airbrush is that.

Also, so you feel better. I think everybody here screw something on their airbrush. It's just part of the process. Now you will be more carefull :laugh: I dropped my first airbrush on ceramic tiles, people here were braking stuff while dropping their airbrushes. Soooooo, welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

I don't know how aggressive you may have been when getting in there with a brush, but do know the wire in those brushes is harder than the brass of the threads in the brush... that said, I use the same brushes to clean many of my brushes, and have never had an issue. One just needs to use care, and not be overly aggressive...

I can't remember, but do not think thee needle can be pulled through the front on the HP-C - it is too thick to fit through the threaded section- so, you install it from the back, and allow it to stick far enough out the front to slip the nozzle on, then push the nozzle back towards the threads - it helps keep everything aligned. If the nozzle still refuses to thread in, it is possible that you damaged the first thread or so, which will prevent the start of the pieces threading together. I would contact an Iwata repair center, and see if they have a tap that can be used to repair the thread- should be a very easy fix with the proper tools.

One additional thing of note - make sure you have the right nozzle! They are not all threaded the same, and if you have the wrong one, it surely will not screw in!

I do remember a live feed from coast airbrush talking about this exact issue. Yes it’s possible to remove the thread from the body of the airbrush, I’m not sure if it applies to all Iwata models or not... I’ll see if I can find a link

My bad ! What I saw was about removing broken nozzle thread from the body, not the actual thread of the body, sorry

hi everyone! thanks you so much for your help! So i managed to put nozzle back on with needle trick, I assembled airbrush and tried to use it but now when i press trigger no air comes out, nothing happends but when i take noozle head cover off it works fine? any ideas?

Attachments

• 82424057_575618986553200_2999599717802835968_n.jpg
    82424057_575618986553200_2999599717802835968_n.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 15
  • I would guess that there is either paint in the exit hole of the nozzle cap, or that you accidentally flared the nozzle, and it is now contacting the edges of the nozzle hole when it is screwed down all the way. When the cap is on, there should be a visible gap all the way around the nozzle within the nozzle cap opening. Are you 100% certain all the parts are correct and from that brush? Just asking...

Here are some photo's of one of my HP-C's for comparison -

Note how smooth the transition is between nozzle end, and the needle - there is not a sharp step between the two. Also note how far the needle protrudes from the nozzle.

needle-nozzle1.jpg

Note that there is a gap all around then nozzle, within the nozzle cap. No gap, no air flow. Sometimes excess paint can build up on the inner edges of the nozzle cap hole, and needs to be cleaned periodically.

nozzle-alignment.jpg

My comments / thoughts here are not directly for the problem, but they have helped me and I would guess many others. First and foremost NEVER let paint dry up in any spray painting equipment...EVER. Second NEVER try to take it apart with dry paint in it, ALWAYS remove the air valve assembly ( the part where the air hose connects ) DO NOT soak that valve... soak everything else in cleaner for the paint that is dried up in it, for days or a week in some cases. Third when you take it apart after the soaking, push the needle out the front after taking the head off. It will save the needle seal from hard paint being pulled through it. Fifth NEVER let it dry out after removing from the soak tank, the paint will re-harden, some times harder that it was to start with. I've seen friends take their equipment out of a soak and then let it sit for a couple days and come back to another headache. Sixth NEVER use a metal wire brush to clean it, if the paint nozzle needs cleaned inside, use a tooth pick sharpened with a pocket knife or razor or use a special cleaning tool. Fifth when you finally think you have it cleaned, rinsed and blown dry, inspect it very carefully. Use a magnifying glass and a good light to make sure there is nothing stuck in an opening or threads, if a rubber seal is nicked /split /swelled up, it is junk...replace them all. I'm still a noobie here compared to many many others, but I have found that these simple guide lines have helped me and will probably help you too... Well I hope they do.

P.S. NEVER over tighten the paint nozzle when reassembling the airbrush, they strip out or break off in the body very easy, it only needs lightly snugged. ... very lightly !

Last edited:
Wait, let me get this correctly...
You do this after each airbrushing session? -.-

No No, before you soak the airbrush in cleaner, like the Restore airbrush cleaner by Createx or lacquer thinner, or enamel reducer.. it will destroy the rubber seals in it. Since only air flows through it, there is no reason or need to soak that part in cleaner.

Also for the part of soaking the airbrush for days or a week, I set that time for paint that was totally hardened in the paint equipment. The real time is up to how fast the paint softens up enough for you to rough clean it ( get the real heavy stuff out of the cup / around needle ) and safely disassemble the equipment without damaging it, then put back in to soak for a deep finish cleaning soaking.

Last edited:
Wait, let me get this correctly...
You do this after each airbrushing session? -.-

I forgot they have a time limit for editing comments on here. So here is the last part of my comment.

If the needle seal is bad and leaked paint into the back of the airbrush, and it got into the air valve...then you need to clean it and most likely replace the rubber seals in it or purchase a new one...and replace the needle seal also, so it won't leak back again. That is why you pull the needle out the front if possible, to save the needle seal from paint damaging it when you pull it out the back with hardened paint on it.

hi everyone! thanks you so much for your help! So i managed to put nozzle back on with needle trick, I assembled airbrush and tried to use it but now when i press trigger no air comes out, nothing happends but when i take noozle head cover off it works fine? any ideas?

This might help... Depending on the model of the airbrush, the nozzle cap is probably too far back, fitting tightly over the nozzle with no channel for air to come out around the nozzle. This can happen sometimes when a cap or brush is really old, or even sometimes due to variations in metal size that come with different temperatures. I've had it happen to me sometimes with very old nozzle caps. Usually you can loosen them a quarter turn at a time until air comes out. Then use beeswax or teflon tape to stop any side leakage. Usually this means it's time for a new cap, which isn't too bad, as it's usually one of the cheaper parts of an airbrush to replace, and you can make do with teflon tape in the meantime.

One of the reasons that it is recommended to only ever go finger tight on parts when reassembling is because of this kind of thing. Tolerances on an airbrush are pretty small as it is a precision instrument, and over-tightening of parts, or even sometimes overly aggressive cleaning can over time lead to things like this as metal wears away and things end up fitting together a bit closer than they were meant to.

Try loosening the cap that goes over the nozzle just a tiny bit, a half or quarter turn and see if your air flow comes back.

This thread got me to thinking... Occasionally all of us may forget paint in our precious brushes from time to time, and have it dry on us. Overly aggressive cleaning is the number one cause of airbrush troubles in my experience. Anything from over tightening parts after cleaning, to metal wear and tear, to damaged seals, can all come from an aggressive cleaning. To save myself some of this frustration, a number of years ago, I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner online for about $35 and rarely ever have to take a brush apart aside from pulling out the needle, or use anything stronger than a drop of dish soap in the cleaner, and it's been the best money I have ever spent. I've been able to recover old infrequently used airbrushes that sat in a drawer for years with caked on paint I forgot about.

I'm wondering who else uses an ultrasonic cleaner, and what mileage you got out of it. I've found that it's saved me a fortune in airbrush and technical pen parts over the years.

Back