Canvas?

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
Hi, all.
Just wanted to know if there's any difference a/brushing on canvas as compared to paper or metal and are there
any tips for those of us wanting to attempt one?
Does canvas have a tendancy to "bleed" like some fabrics, (silks, rayons etc) ?
Just some stuff I'd like to know about first.
Thanks
splasha

For canvas to take paint correctly, you will need to put gesso on it, or get the stuff that already has it from the store. I am doing a lot of canvas work now on my personal, just because I love how it takes the paint. I'll do 5 or 6 light layers of gesso, wet sanding between each layer, and that gives me a great smooth surface at the end, and when the gesso is dry, it is very similar to other hard surfaces.

Thanks for the tip!
Does this mean that before you start working on canvas you must seal it first to give a paintable surface to work on,
like some other fabrics (cotton t's for example)?
splasha

It is up to you if you want to make it smoother or not. Most canvasses came pre gesoed. You can paint directy on them and it won't blead through.

In general paper is more absorbent. So care needs to be taken when applying the first layer of paint to canvas but after that it’s great.

You get no wrinkles with canvas as can happen with papers and no bleeding.
Canvas is more forgiving with erasing where as paper has only a certain amount of eraser-ability before it starts peeling.
Canvas also comes in large sizes which is cool.

If prepped correctly canvas allows masking tape to be used without worry (although I still recommend inter coats of clear). The colours pop a lot more on a well prepped canvas too. Personally I’ve been exploring darker looking styles by using quality poster paints as well as airbrush paints.

check this thread out too for some more infomation about preping and canvas painting

http://www.airbrushforum.org/tips-t...retched-cotton-duck-canvases-airbrushing.html

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter how many layers you end up putting down on the canvas?
Won't it interfere with the 'natural' appearance of the finished item, I mean, you use the canvas for it's grainy texture in the first place,
so why cover it up with guesso / paint layers?

Does it matter how many layers you end up putting down on the canvas?
Won't it interfere with the 'natural' appearance of the finished item, I mean, you use the canvas for it's grainy texture in the first place,
so why cover it up with guesso / paint layers?

How much you put on is question of personal taste, if you want keep the canvas texture, simply stop when it starts to diminish, or if you want a smooth surface just keep going, once you've bought a canvas, it's yours' to do what you like with, i would personally apply 4 or 5 coats so that I can safely scratch without damaging the canvas.

Years ago (and even nowadays) some artists would cake the paint on with a steel spatula to point where it would look like fresco instead of canvas.

If your just starting out, these are all small habits you will adjust yourself until you reach the attributes your comfortable with, there are literally no rules when it comes to art, that's what makes us individual.

I generally work with MDF because it's cheap and I can reuse it if I mess up (which I do a lot), but I can also scratch Olympic style without worrying about damage.

It's all up to you, the world is your' lobster, lol

I use canvas because it’s relatively cheap, I can keep or cover the texture, it’s on a frame, it looks good, people like buying canvas art and portraits (which I paint a lot of).

But ya, it’s totally up to you what you like to paint on and how you want to create your art.

I use canvas because it’s relatively cheap, I can keep or cover the texture, it’s on a frame, it looks good, people like buying canvas art and portraits (which I paint a lot of).

But ya, it’s totally up to you what you like to paint on and how you want to create your art.

I couldn't agree more, I started out using only canvas and I love working on it, but sometimes I like to lay one hand on it to steady me (years of alcohol abuse, lol), so I started taking it off the frame and stretching it over MDF, but then I thought it seems a little silly paying for both when one would do, lol

In my case it's just a hobby so I don't plan on selling anything anytime soon, but as you say, a portrait on a canvas has a professional look and it's what customers would expect, unless of course they want it on a car, lol, we see very often deep framed canvases and when you hang those in a set of 3 or more the effect is very super.

P.S. I checked out your how to on canvas prepping, very cool indeed, I could only describe that as "Love spreading in a seriously ORANGE way", that should shoot you way up Mitch's Christmas card list, it's what the forum is all about.

Thanks, guys.
I'm gonna get one [maybe just a small one] and have a go and see what it's like 4 myself.
Splasha

Back