For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Captain Quint

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by MikeyDee, May 22, 2020 at 2:29 AM.

1. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

IMG_7073.jpg Hello all. I am a beginner with an airbrush but I have been painting with traditional brushes on canvas for years. I tried painting Captain Quint from Jaws. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I tried doing this on canvas and soon realized it’s a whole different ball game from the shiny poster board I have been painting on Well anyway if I’m gonna put myself out there. Here it is. I had fun doing it. For this I used an Iwata hp-c plus, a point zero gravity feed brush which by the way I am falling in love with these inexpensive point zero brushes. For me they seem to perform very well. Com-Art and createx paint. I hope you all like it. Stay safe everyone.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    SiRoxx, Ttxela, afterdark and 3 others like this.
  2. crazyvet

crazyvet Mac-Valve Maestro!

Looks great. I have experience with the point zero but I love the com art and CI id you havnt tried it yet the golden high flow is good too
    MikeyDee likes this.
  3. afterdark

afterdark My friends call me Ward Very Likeable!

Traditional brush and airbrush are both fun, although the canvas can be unforgiving at times with the overspray due to surface texture.
    Nice work and keep it up.
    MikeyDee likes this.
  4. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

Thanks Afterdark, Yeah painting on canvas with the airbrush is challenging to me. I am enjoying it though.
    afterdark likes this.
  5. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

Thanks Crazyvet,

I love the com art too. I will give the golden a try. I have a couple of samples they sent me.
  6. retiredgarnham

retiredgarnham Triple Actioner

Hi, like you I paint using traditional brushes as well as the airbrush and I also only paint on canvass. I love it, as the texture of the canvass allows for a far more natural feel to an artwork than the photo-realistic finish that other substrates tend to give. As far as the canvass is concerned, after a lot of experimenting I found that if I gessoed the canvass two more times, then rubbed down the canvass with fine glass paper, this closed up the fabric enough to paint on, but still held that all important cloth texture. I'm about to submit a painting that I have just finished onto the Step by Step part of the forum. Its a copy of one of Vermeer paintings, and I'm using his colour pallet and of course it's on canvass. Have a look, and see what you think.
    MikeyDee and SiRoxx like this.
  7. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Looks good Mikey. I know some people use Gesso on canvases to give a smooth surface, maybe have look into trying that too.
    MikeyDee likes this.
  8. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

Hi Thanks,

I only had a thin layer on this canvas of gesso. I'm going to try retiredgarnham suggestion above for a smoother surface.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  9. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

Hi, I love working on canvas too. And I love the texture of the canvas. I will try a couple more coats of gesso and sanding. I am finding it challenging with the airbrush on canvas but I am determined to get better. With the brushes I know exactly where the paint is going. With the airbrush I am still learning control and paint consistency, psi and everything else. LOL Your painting is fantastic. I need to learn better control on smaller details and my hand is shaky. More practice
  10. retiredgarnham

retiredgarnham Triple Actioner

Practice, practice, practice, is all it takes. The way I learnt was by following Mitch aka Airbrushtutor on youtube. You will be amazed at how fast you come on with his tutorials, and he is a great laugh to boot. It's nice to know that someone else loves to use canvass as their preferred substrate. In the past I have painted a few pictures using very expensive paper and a canvass of the same size both at the same time just to see what the difference was in quality of painting and overall finish. The painting that comes to mind was of an hummingbird taking nectar out of a flower. Both paintings were impressive but the paper version looked to photographic which kind of spoilt it for me because the picture I used as a reference was a photograph. I thought "so why bother painting it when I already had a photo of it in the first place", if you can get my reasoning. On the other hand the texture of the canvass gave the painting depth and far more interesting effects especially when it came to the wings. So for me I never really went back to paper again, instead modifying the canvass to accept paints better, once again the make of the paint made a vast difference to how it went on to the canvass. That's how I found that using 2 or 3 coats of Gesso made a big difference, which ultimately led to whatever make of paint used they all held to the canvass in the same way with minor tweaks when using them. I also only ever use transparent paints and over the years have appreciated how superior they are over opaque paints. Like practising your airbrushing techniques, mastering transparent paints is an art in itself, LoL.
    MikeyDee likes this.
  11. MikeyDee

MikeyDee Triple Actioner

I will have to lookup Mitch on Youtube. You have said it all and said it well. I really do appreciate you taking the time post this incite into your style and also great advice for me and all who read this. Thank You for taking the time.