Cheap photo frisket?

R

rumpleforcekin

I know this stuff has to go under a different name or have some kind of substitute. I know I'll go through a lot of it, and can't afford the name brand stuff. I may have found something on ebay for about half the price. I've also found out it's called acetate. This helped in shopping. Are there any other names (brand name's or otherwise) I can use to find more of this stuff? Also, do you guys know a cheap place to get it. I live in the US, and have more time than money, so I could get non sticky and make it sticky, or whatever..

Any other advice on this stuff would help as well. Thanks

I use ultra low tack scrapbook vinyl get a 50 foot roll about 30 inches wide for 7 dollars at hobby lobby with 40% off coupon.

Frisket I hate that stuff if you want to use something with a little better tac and has done wonders for me use vinyl paint mask I order 10 yard rolls of it. I can run it through my vinyl cutter or draw right on it using a sharpie. The paint mask comes in different tac values also. The regular is great for automotive uro's and have heard oramask 810 for water base paint. you would be surprise how much cheaper it really is when consider around 30 to 40 for 10 yards.

I ended up going with what they sold at tcp global. low tack clear. 12" at 15 feet or so for about $25

This is my first time using this stuff, so keep that in mind..
Very hard to work with. I backed it with wax paper to make it easier, but it still distorts and stretches when I'm trying to get it straight. It cuts very easily though, and comes off the wax paper easy. I'm going to try painting with it tomorrow. As long as it doesn't peel off tonight, it should work fine.

I use low tack contact paper very cheap found at most craft store or hard wear stores ...easy to work with

If you use a frisket or similar, and are having problems transfering it to your surface without it distorting or moving etc, then try getting some clear vinyl transfer tape. Once you've cut your design put the transfer tape on top, and rub it so that the frisket sticks to it, then you can place it where you like rub again, and then peel of the tape leaving the frisket behind. It keeps everything together, although on really curved surfaces the design could distort if you aren't careful.

no I like to cut mine right on my project it takes some practice to get used to so you don't cut into your project. But it sure beats transfer tape in my opinion also. Only time I use transfer tape is when I run it through the vinyl cutter and I still don't weed it or remove any vinyl till it is applied because I reapply the weeded parts usually. I am in the design process still on my next project but you will see how I do it. I have used this technique a bunch of time always with great results.

Yes from what I've now seen. A lot of folks cut it right on the project. I should get some transfer paper too though, as there may be times when I still need it. Thanks for the advice

No problem any thing I can do to help

Hey bud, where do you get your vinyl paint mask at, I need some.

Also, I can't remember who it was on here who was looking for cheap frisket an decided to use clear packaging tape, without asking us..........for the record and anyone who reads this thread, DON'T DO THAT, lol!!!

Josh

no I like to cut mine right on my project it takes some practice to get used to so you don't cut into your project. But it sure beats transfer tape in my opinion also. Only time I use transfer tape is when I run it through the vinyl cutter and I still don't weed it or remove any vinyl till it is applied because I reapply the weeded parts usually. I am in the design process still on my next project but you will see how I do it. I have used this technique a bunch of time always with great results.

Yeah I tend to forget and get a little heavy handed cutting right on my project Lol, so I don't do that. The good side to that, is that it made me freehand more and improve in that area, but if I do need to make a stencil then it's vinyl tranfer tape for me, or else ruin my base coat Lol! Either way it's pretty time consuming, so a basic out line of the painting cut from paper, and filling in the details freehand, or working from a sketch is a lot quicker, patience is not one of my virtues!

It's really not quicker you spend more time in one part and it makes the other part easier. I know it's tough to believe but you will never know till you try it. I'm not gonna say my method is right way for you but it works. Prep work is everything with painting.

Back