Checkout my paints..

Wandering through Bunnings (hardware shop for those outside of Aust) tonight, I've seen a product that goes by the name of 'whitecote' it's 3mm thick and white on one side and looks like dense Masonite in the other. I think it's designed for drawer bottoms. D'ya think it would be any good ??
Hang on tutor !! How come you've not got a huge studio set up to house all of your golden microns and all your fan mail ??

Wandering through Bunnings (hardware shop for those outside of Aust) tonight, I've seen a product that goes by the name of 'whitecote' it's 3mm thick and white on one side and looks like dense Masonite in the other. I think it's designed for drawer bottoms. D'ya think it would be any good ??
Hang on tutor !! How come you've not got a huge studio set up to house all of your golden microns and all your fan mail ??

Yes, I would say 100% that the white cote is exactly the same as the gessoed board we are referring to, and the drawer bottom stuff is what I'm throwing the gesso onto.

SAWEEET!! $24.15 for a 2400mm x 1200 sheet (just shy of 8ft x 4ft for those non metric countries)?

damn !! I've just cleaned the shed up to minimize the dust and now I'll have to get the power tools out again.

pst .... Tutor boy ... Ya wanna buy some paint boards PMSL

Jacky, I forgot to mention, be careful of what you buy some of these boards are indeed pre-primed with a hard-wearing primer identifiable from a light sheen, but some actually have a thin paper coating and I think that be be what the drawer bottom stuff is, it's probably cheaper in price and has a completely matt finish, you could still use it but it would need a little more gesso and would be more prone to damage if you went to far with scratching, so please be aware of that.

I wonder if I'd get strange looks attacking the board with a pocket knife to test durability for scratch ..... While still in the store [emoji12]

I wonder if I'd get strange looks attacking the board with a pocket knife to test durability for scratch ..... While still in the store [emoji12]

LOL, I think they might call security, but you could could simply ask:)

A light scuff with a used 3M pad will made those white drawer bottoms hold paint very well. I've seen the stuff at our hardware shop as well but I do not have the space to store a full sheet.

A light scuff with a used 3M pad will made those white drawer bottoms hold paint very well. I've seen the stuff at our hardware shop as well but I do not have the space to store a full sheet.

Won't they cut it for you? I have them cut to different sizes, they also sell smaller pieces but that works out more expensive, since they cut it for free, a whole sheet makes sense.

Won't they cut it for you? I have them cut to different sizes, they also sell smaller pieces but that works out more expensive, since they cut it for free, a whole sheet makes sense.

They do, but I don't have space for for all the smaller sheets. Under the bed is already filled with Schoellershamer and we do not have outbuildings or a garage.

They do, but I don't have space for for all the smaller sheets. Under the bed is already filled with Schoellershamer and we do not have outbuildings or a garage.

That's a shame, I have a book shelf in my studio which has a 50mm space behind it, I store all my consumables on the shelves and my boards are stored neatly behind, I have room enough to have it on view but I find it untidy.

As a cheapskate scav, I have trained all my friends and relatives (and people I vaguely know) to tell me before they get rid of any furniture, and then I go rob the drawer bottoms, backs of bookcases, backs of cheap wardrobes etc before they ditch them. Then as I'm also a lazy arse, I flutter the stumpy eyelash at hubs, who gets his big boy gun out and gives them a couple of coats of high build primer. Eh voila, with no cost (I don't replace hubs primer, but I do have to put up with his after chilli explosions, so there is a price!), and the bare minimum of effort on my behalf (my favourite amount of effort) I have a cool surface to play with. :)

It doesn't matter if we're in the gutter or hanging from the glass ceiling we can turn our minds to smut in the blink of an eye cos that's how we roll
PMSL
Yes I know this too well . I would hate to make a comment about 9 inches hanging off something and see where it would end up LMAO

Is that an actual nine inches, or a blokes perception of what he thinks is nine inches which isn't quite the same LOL!

Back