Chinagraph Pencil for highlights

otpowell

Double Actioner
Hi all, is there an alternate to using a china graph pencil for highlights? What about an oil pastel or a regular colored pencil? I went to michaels to find a china graph pencil & an electric eraser, but they didn't have either.

I use water colour- and regular colour, non-waxy colour pencils. Sometimes the one does not want to work and you then use the other.

Hi otpowell, First of all, what paints are you using? I might be wrong but i'm almost sure that China Graph pencils are wax based so could give you some bother. Might be ok with oils but not sure. For water based paints you would be better off with "aqurelle" water colour pencils. They may work with urethane based paints too. Electric erasers are great I use them all the time but work best on erasable paints although it might work on others.

Hi Jord001, I am using spectra-tex.. I think that's what the airbrush tutor uses.. He always has his bottle turned around so you can't see the brand, but they look like spectra-tex bottles.. He used a chinagraph pencil over waterbased paint on his Denise Richards painting. I'll go to Michael's and see of they have some water color pencils.. Thanks so much. Maybe I'll just go ahead and order the electric eraser from amazon, and some water color pencils, as well as a china graph pencil.. Chinagraph pencils are wax based.. Seems like it'd make more sense to use a water color pencil wouldn't it..

Mitch used the Chinagraph right at the end. If you know you will not be painting over it, then by all means use it. Just remember some colour pencils also contain wax. Buy the good stuff.

Those darn people in Michael's don't know a darn thing. None of them ever herd of a chinagraph pencil. They said "we don't have much Chinese stuff." They said they have no electric erasers, never herd of them (I asked 3 people to make sure). I was in a rush so didn't have too much time to search myself. They also never herd of tack cloth. Weird huh. Well, thanks, I thank you for taking the time to reply to me and let me know that they do have them.

Those darn people in Michael's don't know a darn thing. None of them ever herd of a chinagraph pencil. They said "we don't have much Chinese stuff." They said they have no electric erasers, never herd of them (I asked 3 people to make sure). I was in a rush so didn't have too much time to search myself. They also never herd of tack cloth. Weird huh. Well, thanks, I thank you for taking the time to reply to me and let me know that they do have them.

I hear you on Michael's. If you have a Staples close by they have electric erasers. That is where I got mine. Hobby lobby might have the chinagraph pencils, you might have to get those from a automotive paint supply shop same with the tack rag. I have picked up tack rags at Napa auto parts but I usually get these kind of supplies at Coast Airbrush. If you go through Coast you want to add them to an order of paint or something like that so your not paying S.H. on tack rags!! You know what I mean?

Either ask for wax pencils or peelable pencils. And ask for battery operated erasers. If you mention brand names like Derwent, Steadtler or Sakura (very expensive) that might help.

FYI, I found tack clothes for a dollar a piece at lowes.. It's in their paint section next to their airless sprayers.. Hobby Lobby also has tack clothes.. I put them out of stock by buying 10 of them though.. Lowes has more on the shelf and cheaper.. I dont bblame the people at Michael's, the art supply world does have alot of different things, brands, and stuff you might of never herd of. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Back