Claybord, panels and erasing, where to buy in Canada?

M

Melle

Hi folks,

I tried to search the information and I couldn't find it on the forums. I am new to illustration (but not new to airbrushing, I am a bodypainter) and this the current equipment I have is :
  • Iwata Powerjet Pro
  • 2 Iwata HP-CS
  • 1 Iwata Micron CM-C+2
  • Pistol grip filter
  • Createx Illustration
  • Wicked paint + reducer
So I have purchase the "Meow" tutorial and Mitch talks about Claybord.. After looking on the internet what it was... I was a little shocked at the price and availability in Canada or in the US.

Example:
http://www.amazon.ca/Ampersand-Clay...=UTF8&qid=1452181674&sr=8-1&keywords=claybord

Do you know anywhere else I can find this at a cheaper price? Is there anything else I could use to get good results? I really want to do it the right way.

Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge.

Clayboard is very expensive. And there is nothing else just like it.
But there are some good alternatives.

Gessoboard panels are my favorite surface.
There are several economy brands out there. I prefer to make my own due to both price and quality. If you do a search we have discussed ways to make your own.
I coat hardboard panels from my local lowes (not sure what you have in Canada) i use a layer of pva primer, then a couple layers of gesso. I thin and spray mine now, but i have just used a small squegee and spread it on.
Once dry i hit it with 320 grit sandpaper.

Each substrate has its own properties. While clayboard is excelently suited for scratching I find it less easy to work with when erasing. It's just down to personal preference and what properties you find important.

A few other brands you could consider (mentioned properties are my personal experience :p):
Schoellershammer airbrush board: excelent for erasing, difficult for scratching (I work on this and do a lot of scratching so it's very doable, just not the most easy of surface to do it on)
Crescent: also airbrush board, erases very good and scratches a lot easier than schoellrshammer. If I didn't have a lifetime supply of Schoellershammer in the closet I'd probably switch to this, as to me it came across like an ideal "in between". It allows all techniques on an atleast reasonable level.
Yuppo: Synthetic board (plastic like) very easy to scratch on hard to erase (go back to white imidiately). As it hardly absorbs hard to work on with reduced paints and sensetive to contaimination (work ith gloves). ps I never worked on this, this is hear say!

Last edited:
I think I am going to give them all a try and see what I prefer! thank you so much guys, I really appreciate your help. :love:

Each substrate has its own properties. While clayboard is excelently suited for scratching I find it less easy to work with when erasing. It's just down to personal preference and what properties you find important.

A few other brands you could consider (mentioned properties are my personal experience :p):
Schoellershammer airbrush board: excelent for erasing, difficult for scratching (I work on this and do a lot of scratching so it's very doable, just not the most easy of surface to do it on)
Crescent: also airbrush board, erases very good and scratches a lot easier than schoellrshammer. If I didn't have a lifetime supply of Schoellershammer in the closet I'd probably switch to this, as to me it came across like an ideal "in between". It allows all techniques on an atleast reasonable level.
Yuppo: Synthetic board (plastic like) very easy to scratch on hard to erase (go back to white imidiately). As it hardly absorbs hard to work on with reduced paints and sensetive to contaimination (work ith gloves). ps I never worked on this, this is hear say!

Would you happen to have the Crescent board number by any chance, there are so many of them, I don't know which one to pick! thanks :D

Check out your local Michaels store they carry a product made by "Mona Lisa" it's called, Gesso Board it's usually located by the canvases it works well for both applications of scratching and erasing...

Donna

Check out your local Michaels store they carry a product made by "Mona Lisa" it's called, Gesso Board it's usually located by the canvases it works well for both applications of scratching and erasing...

Donna

Thank you Donna! and btw, awesome service you have at Maple Airbrush Supplies. Just got my order, super happy :)

I have tried a few different substrates, bristol paper, tee shirts, g4 paper, yupo synthetic paper , metal, gesso painted mdf and also claybord, my favourite is claybord or gesso painted mdf, with g4 paper comming a close second. If you look in my gallery you will see the meow cat tutorial which I did with an electric eraser on g4 paper, the lana vangard synthetic paper I am currently painting the bee on would be very good for the meow tutorial as you are mostly scratching back to the surface anyway, and its relatively cheap.

Back