Clean up times

Dizzy

Young Tutorling
Hey Guys,

Been a while. Life got crazy just after I started trying to learn AB-ing but I'm back onto it again. At least for a while.

Just to recap, I was given what I presume to be a Chinese non-named brand of AB as a gift last Christmas along with a set of Trident pains and reducer. Back to learning lines, dots and other assorted techniques :D

I was wondering though, I have watched the clip of Ken 'Badger' Schlotfeldt as found here : http://www.airbrushforum.org/thread...idnt-tell-you-about-your-airbrush-video.2788/
For the life of me, I can't clean my AB anywhere near that fast. The pigment keeps coming through for ages and even then after I think I have done the job right, the next time I go to use the AB I'll run a check on things and discover more pigment on the needle again.

Is cleaning after use different times for everyone and is this generally accepted as the best way to go about it (you know, he does know what he's talking about after all). Was wondering if there might be a fault in my process or id Trident paints just take longer to clean out?

I seem to spend more time cleaning and checking then I do anything else at this point.

Thanks.

- Dizzy

Just flush with water till it sprays clear. Leave a little water in the cup after use. This works fine for me. Occasional use of Restorer or cleaner left in the cup and resovior helps too.

I was cleaning my brush daily. As Music just said i leave water in my cup after flushing now. Took me over a year to start doing that and if i dont get my brush tottaly clean it doesnt dry up. With that said dont leave it sit for weeks without doing a thorough cleaning.

Most of the time if your just putting it up for the night just flushing it out with water will do it (maybe use a little airbrush cleaner if it wont spray clean)
but your not going to get every speck of paint out without a full tear down and cleaning

*sigh*

I think I'm ready to give up. It's been 5 hours trying to get things working today. Last night I dismantled and soaked the needle and nozzle and went to a mates birthday party. Came home and finished cleaning it. Put it back together and things seemed OK. Got up this morning and it immediately starts spluttering and blocking up.
Pull it apart clean it again..... and again.... and again..... as well as fully dismantling and lubricating everything.
Finally decide that I'm going to practice today so I swap out the needle, nozzle and nozzle cap from .3 to .5, put things into soak again, mix up a fresh lot of paint, laugh to myself that I should have done it sooner.
Then it doesn't spray. I back flush it and it sprays weird then sputters.... pull it apart, clean it and still the straight reducer in the cup doesn't spray right.

OK, went away and tried again.

Got things working to the point of water and reducer running through the brush OK on a visible level. That is, looking for the spray cone.
Checked the Trident website for their recommended mixing/reducing. Standard AB work was 1:1 pain to reducer. mixed it and it looked a little thick still so I decided to take it to 1:3 Paint to Reducer. They say that's is for detail work and the consistency looked better to my novice eye. Filtered it though a piece of nylon stocking into a second jar and noticed that it was not filtering very quickly if at all. After a while I got enough together to finally try things out.
Push down for air, back for paint...... next to nothing came out. Pull back further, nothing. Released the trigger forwards and presto! some paint shot out. I pulled back and nothing again. I figured that if I keep the air going and rock the trigger backwards and forwards, I can get shots of paint to come out. Felt like I was cheating at practising my dots after a while.
Now I have no idea and presuming this is something to do with the paints at this point as that is where things seem to go sideways.
I have done a search and found similar things related to a blocked nozzle and so on but no mention of paint coming out with the trigger being worked.

I'd like a second opinion before I fork out for new paints as that'll be an expensive exercise if I'm wrong and cash flow right now is not a strong point for me.
Although I have decided that I want to learn this wonderful skill and produce my own work. I'm thinking portraits and photo copying of photos of places and people that have significant meaning to me.
Help?

Sounds like your paint is either to thick or you need to up your pressure, the thicker the paint the more air you need to get it going thro the nozzle

I would reduce it right the way down say 15-1 (paint-reducer) and work backwards,thats if it sprays at 15-1.

We all had trouble with paint flow starting out. As matty says up the pressure and see what happens.

I had the same thing happen with my first AB but it was also backfeeding air into the color cup when I was working the trigger. I could not get paint out unless at extremely low pressure I found the nozzle was broken. The threads were broken off and stayed in the gun when I took it apart. Maybe only half of your threads are intact and not sealing proper. Hope you get it sorted out. But I also had it happen when I tried to use a paint with really big pigment.

Once you start tearing them down and putting them back together, you may have air escaping via a gap somewhere. Try some bees wax to seal any gaps. Or try the Teflon tape.

Thanks guys. I'm about to try again. Will try thinning he paint right out and working back to thicker while playing with pressures. As long as it will spray water fist.

If I continue to have problems I'll try sealing the threads with goo and failing that I'll look at some new paint.
Was even thinking of getting a new brush simply because I have a bad habit of getting things I may not be ready for :p Maybe a Badger 105 Patriot....

Don't worry you will get it,here's how I figure out paint to air pressure,reduce paint 6 to 1,then with my air pressure up about 35/40 psi I spray my paint and if it starts to spider I reduce my air pressure by 5 psi and try again,If it still spiders keep reduceing the air and if you get to the point of no paint at say 10 psi just go back to where you still got paint flow and the spidering stops that should be close to the best psi to spray that paint reduction

Thanks. I'll hunt the optimal pressure in a bit. I have figured out that reducing with water seems to fix most of my current problems. The reducer seems to be causing the pigments to clump more. Weird. It is the Trident paint and Trident Reducer so it should have been working together OK.

OK, went away and tried again.
Push down for air, back for paint...... next to nothing came out. Pull back further, nothing. Released the trigger forwards and presto! some paint shot out. I pulled back and nothing again. I figured that if I keep the air going and rock the trigger backwards and forwards, I can get shots of paint to come out. Felt like I was cheating at practising my dots after a while.

Help?

That description is sounding very much like a blocked nozzle.

I said very much the same thing.... 'But I cleaned it' LOL.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/no-paint-or-water-flow.12004/

Check thru the troubleshooting section, there are a couple of great threads in there about this same issue.

With paint and reducer I've got into the habit of back flushing often as it seems some colours separate quicker than others

Last edited:
Heh, feel a little sheepish now. Turns out I have Trident Reducer Concentrate.... I need to reduce the reducer at about 1:10..... oops.

Thanks for the link, jackEb. I'll have a look at it over lunch.

I use trident Dizzy , and the reducer works great . I do however reduce it more to suit my needs . The pigments are very strong and take a lot more cleaning to get them all out . I will recommend mixing your paint especially the black and darker colours with transparent base . I find it sprays better and is far easier to clean after use .

Back