Cleaning, and paint in chamber..

J

JimE

I am using a Paasche VSR90
Right, when you clean your airbrush do you strip it right down or should it only be the tip/aircap/needle etc. that needs a clean?
Also I am finding paint has been traveling back into the chamber with the trigger and needle chuck housing, is this normal for some brushes or does it mean the packing is going/gone? hence a full strip down when cleaning.

I have found that I can use the brush with multible colours, by flushing and cleaning the cups without having to remove the needle/tip etc. as I had done very early on when I first got this brush (its about 7 years old and only now I have really started to be able to use it!). Its a nusicence to have to strip it down after every use especially with water/paint flowing into the trigger area when its oiled up!
I have a new packing comming if thats the problem with flowback.

Another with the paasche can you get away with cleaning the aircap/tip/tip housing all as one peice or should it be cleaned singly? I am only at this stage using waterbased paint. I thought about this as I can have the bigger needle set up set as with the small needle so i dont have to work the threads all the time..

Cheers Jim.:suspicion:

I don't strip down every time, sometimes take the needle out and carefullly wipe it down, but usually just wipe the paint from the cup and flush through with water. Now and then if I think performance isn't as it should be i will do a strip down.
As for the paint in the triger housing. do you backflush your paint when it's in the cup. I've done this before to mix paint when it has started to seperate, and couldn't find the lid to my cup, and this could force paint into that area. If not then maybe it could be the packing has gone bad, or maybe the screw needs tightening?

sounds like after 7 years your packing has packed in.
Always the weak point of most AB's.
For cleaning between colours I use Medea AB cleaner to flush through and then Premi air foaming cleaner afterwards before packing away

Be careful with the Medea cleaner; it's agressive. I think one our members tested it out thoroughly and he found that it affected the airbrush material - made it change color, which usually isn't a good sign. Ordinary shaving foam is harmless and does a good job in removing paint residues.

sounds like after 7 years your packing has packed in.
Always the weak point of most AB's.
For cleaning between colours I use Medea AB cleaner to flush through and then Premi air foaming cleaner afterwards before packing away

Yea this is what I am thinking, for in between colours I was/am washing the bowl (they are separate from the main body) and flushing through with water (no back flushing). Well I have a packing on order, though I'll still be playing with the Ab till it gets here..cheers.

ignis,
I only use a small amount just to flush through, would never use it for thorough cleaning though as it would quickly start to strip the guts out of my AB's.
The idea with shaving foam is a new one on me, but I will have to try it, cheers for the tip.

I'm pretty sure your needle packing screw needs a tighten half a turn, I had the same problem with my velocity

i have the same problem with the talon, so it most be a problem from the manufacturer,the way i have dealt with the problem is to tighten the sealing with a precision screw driver.i have used a very soft combination of water and common soap.using shaving foam is new to me so i´ll try.don´t clean the whole machine,because you may take off the original lubricant and that can provoke more trouble than solving it.happy airbrushing.

Hmmm I'll look into using foam, though I did have a look at the packing and the o-ring seems to look ok, I tightened up the screw a little so I think it squashed the o-ring giving a better seal, as I haven't any paint flood back into the trigger housing as of yet, even when I back flushed it as well. So it may do the trick for a while, well at least until the spares arrive..

keep the spare for a while longer , because as far as my experience,that does the trick for longer time than you imagine.so let the seal go as far as it can.i started to have the problem long ago and this method still works,almost a year,with the same seal,so happy airbrushing!!!:tranquillity:

Back