Cleaning paint surface before clear coat

action

Young Tutorling
I painted a helmet with auto air transparent and metallic....I am clear coating with automotive urethane clear....what do I use to clean the surface from contaminates and wipe down the surface......before applying the clear....

I painted a helmet with auto air transparent and metallic....I am clear coating with automotive urethane clear....what do I use to clean the surface from contaminates and wipe down the surface......before applying the clear....
I’m looking for a safe Final Wipe product too, so I’m going to stick around for the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a starter check what the manufacturer says, they will have that info.

As a starter check what the manufacturer says, they will have that info.
Always a good suggestion. I haven’t had much luck with my paints though. As usual I have the names of a couple different US based products that don’t ship over the pond, so I could do with a lead on another.

this is where urethane paints win, once they're dry you can pretty much wipe them with anything, but for those of us that use water based paint its not like you can wipe it with anything wet, it just reactivates the paint and smears it (dont ask, I had a seniors moment when i first started ! )

now for the paint pals I just wipe with a tac rag to get rid of any dust then spray the clear

Always a good suggestion. I haven’t had much luck with my paints though. As usual I have the names of a couple different US based products that don’t ship over the pond, so I could do with a lead on another.

So on the manufacturers site they will have preparation details and the type of product you can use, they may push a certain product but there should be something compatible locally.

So on the manufacturers site they will have preparation details and the type of product you can use, they may push a certain product but there should be something compatible locally.
I’ve checked there and there’s no mention. I need something like HOK KC20 post sanding cleaner. Just have a really tough time buying HOK from a reputable source in the U.K.

I’ve checked there and there’s no mention. I need something like HOK KC20 post sanding cleaner. Just have a really tough time buying HOK from a reputable source in the U.K.

Not that I specifically need HOK, that’s just an example.

This is as near as I’ve found so far. I have no idea if it’s safe for Waterbased, but the Data sheet does say it can be used on “all” painted surfaces.
https://www.tetconnect.com/paint___refinishing/panel_wipes/WSP050-
I have also found the a company called CF Tapes based in the US will ship to the U.K. They stock Tamco products that also do a Final Wash. They may well ship worldwide, I don’t know the price and again I don’t know if the Tamco cleaner is suitable for Waterbase paint.

watched coast live feed tonight and asked, anybody knows it? tamco hr-397w
The 397 is the Pre cleaner I think, used for bare panels. HR-398 is the Final Cleaner that can be used over Paint. I will ask Tamco if it’s ok for Waterbased paint too as they’re a Solvent System.

I covered using wax and grease remover on water-based paint in a recent video. I answer a question that should answer your question at about 5:34 in the video. The actual question was about using a product to simulate a clear coat on water-based paint prior to shooting the clear coat, but it also shows how wax and grease remover can be used on water-based paint to clean the surface.

I covered using wax and grease remover on water-based paint in a recent video. I answer a question that should answer your question at about 5:34 in the video. The actual question was about using a product to simulate a clear coat on water-based paint prior to shooting the clear coat, but it also shows how wax and grease remover can be used on water-based paint to clean the surface.

Damn, I watch all your videos and didn’t think about this one. If I remember, it was important to let the waterbase dry before using the cleaner? Does this work to remove residual overspray if it’s already dry?

Damn, I watch all your videos and didn’t think about this one. If I remember, it was important to let the waterbase dry before using the cleaner? Does this work to remove residual overspray if it’s already dry?

Correct. Especially if you're using a more aggressive (designed for solvent based paint) wax and grease remover. If you try using a solvent wax and grease remover on water-based paint before the paint has cured, it is highly likely you will remove and/or smear your artwork. Once cured, a solvent based wax and grease remover can still remove a slight amount of water-based paint (including overspray), but I've never had it remove so much that I needed to touch the artwork up. It's better to use a wax and grease remover designed for water-based paint (I prefer SprayMax); however, you still need to give the paint some time to cure before using it.

Correct. Especially if you're using a more aggressive (designed for solvent based paint) wax and grease remover. If you try using a solvent wax and grease remover on water-based paint before the paint has cured, it is highly likely you will remove and/or smear your artwork. Once cured, a solvent based wax and grease remover can still remove a slight amount of water-based paint (including overspray), but I've never had it remove so much that I needed to touch the artwork up. It's better to use a wax and grease remover designed for water-based paint (I prefer SprayMax); however, you still need to give the paint some time to cure before using it.
Thank you Sir, that’s important info for sure.

Back