Cleaning paint surface before clear coat

The correct cleaner for
Wicked/auto air / createx illustration/ and almost every acrylic paint out there is Odorless Mineral Spirits.

It is in Createx tech sheets just hard to notice. I have also confirmed with Craig from Createx and that is what they recomend.

The bigger issue may be the metallics. Without a barrier coat they do not like being wiped on, especially the medium and coarse Aluminum base will bend the metallics.

Odorless mineral spirits is widely available at home centers all over. As well as Walmart etc.

Thank you. I just cleared that auto air painted helmet and got some fisheyes along a 1shot enamel pinstripped line, had I cleaned the surface with spraymax i wouldn t have had the eyes. I also found the auto air does colour does not have the same colour as the bottle unless you put 5-6 coats to make it darker. Some areas I did less coats and had a area a lot lighter that I did not want. I discovered this by accident and to late to start over. Does your Wickedartstudio video cover this?

Thank you. I just cleared that auto air painted helmet and got some fisheyes along a 1shot enamel pinstripped line, had I cleaned the surface with spraymax i wouldn t have had the eyes. I also found the auto air does colour does not have the same colour as the bottle unless you put 5-6 coats to make it darker. Some areas I did less coats and had a area a lot lighter that I did not want. I discovered this by accident and to late to start over. Does your Wickedartstudio video cover this?

Using 1-Shot striping enamel was always hit and miss for me when a urethane clear was applied over the striping. Sometimes I had no issues and sometimes I got a bad reaction (fisheye, etc.). The trick is to add a small amount of the catalyst from the clear you're using to the striping enamel. Even then, I still experienced reactions with the clear more often than not. The better, and safer option is to do your pinstriping on top of the clear coat. Personally, I quit using 1-Shot about 20 years ago due to the problems I experienced. I only use House of Kolor striping enamel for pinstriping and have never experienced a single issue with them under a clear coat.

As far as matching a sprayed color to the color in the bottle, some colors do require 5 to 6 coats or more to build full saturation. I don't have a YouTube video covering this specific question, but It's always good practice to paint everything required to be the same color at the same time to keep the saturation consistent (this is especially important with metallic, pearls and candies). When that is not possible, keep track of how many coats you apply and spray them all the same.

This is as near as I’ve found so far. I have no idea if it’s safe for Waterbased, but the Data sheet does say it can be used on “all” painted surfaces.
https://www.tetconnect.com/paint___refinishing/panel_wipes/WSP050-
I have also found the a company called CF Tapes based in the US will ship to the U.K. They stock Tamco products that also do a Final Wash. They may well ship worldwide, I don’t know the price and again I don’t know if the Tamco cleaner is suitable for Waterbase paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Michele roe she uses Temco clears

@Michele roe she uses Temco clears
She’s does indeed. I’m on the Tamco 411 Facebook group, just haven’t got round to asking about the Final Wash product yet. Thanks for the thought BP.

Using 1-Shot striping enamel was always hit and miss for me when a urethane clear was applied over the striping. Sometimes I had no issues and sometimes I got a bad reaction (fisheye, etc.). The trick is to add a small amount of the catalyst from the clear you're using to the striping enamel. Even then, I still experienced reactions with the clear more often than not. The better, and safer option is to do your pinstriping on top of the clear coat. Personally, I quit using 1-Shot about 20 years ago due to the problems I experienced. I only use House of Kolor striping enamel for pinstriping and have never experienced a single issue with them under a clear coat.

As far as matching a sprayed color to the color in the bottle, some colors do require 5 to 6 coats or more to build full saturation. I don't have a YouTube video covering this specific question, but It's always good practice to paint everything required to be the same color at the same time to keep the saturation consistent (this is especially important with metallic, pearls and candies). When that is not possible, keep track of how many coats you apply and spray them all the same.
I just experienced the fish eye again on the pinstriping with the clear over it. I hate to have to buy all new stock, i have a lot of 1-shot. Is the final pinstipe on top of the last clear coat you mentioned.

I just finished a surfboard and I used auto air and 1-shot...you are saying I may or not have fisheye with the 1-shot areas s--t....any ideas how to deal with it at this stage. Maybe light clear coat sand another clear sand and the 2 finals heavy after. Help

I just finished a surfboard and I used auto air and 1-shot...you are saying I may or not have fisheye with the 1-shot areas s--t....any ideas how to deal with it at this stage. Maybe light clear coat sand another clear sand and the 2 finals heavy after. Help
I’ve seen a video of somebody putting a small drop of clear into the fisheye before polishing and flattening it all during cut and buff. Maybe search YouTube for “fixing clear coat fish eye”?

I have been wanting to get some 1 shot and have been some research. I found this and might explain your clear coat issues....

Clearing Over 1 Shot
Can I clear coat over 1 Shot Lettering Enamels?
Yes. It's important that your paint is completely dry prior to overcoating. We recommend that you use our 1 Shot #4007 Hardener, and wait at least 24 hours prior to clearing. Adding up to 20% Hardener, with no other reducers, will allow for overcoating with automotive type urethane clears after 24 hours. Always apply the first two coats of clear very light and dry when clear coating.

Taken off the 1 Shot site....

I just experienced the fish eye again on the pinstriping with the clear over it. I hate to have to buy all new stock, i have a lot of 1-shot. Is the final pinstipe on top of the last clear coat you mentioned.

Anytime I use 1-Shot, yes. 1-Shot pinstriping always goes on top of the final clear coat for me. Although I haven't used 1-Shot enamel in a very long time, that's the easiest way to avoid any compatibility issues with that particular brand. I prefer House of Kolor striping enamel. I've never had a single compatibility issue with the HOK brand under, or over the clear coat.

Correct. The best advice is what 1-Shot recommends (@twood quoted the info above). Even then, it was always hit and miss in my experience. Sometimes it worked with no issues, sometimes not so much. In the end it wasn't worth the gamble for my business. So, I switched to another product with 100 percent reliability.

Back