Clear Coat Confusion UK

C

Chris Norton

Hi all,

Pretty new to Airbrushing and there's one thing that's causing me more confusion than anything else. Whilst searching the internet for a solution I found this forum. Unfortunately, I can't find the solution on here so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm confused about clear coating, and what is the best clear coat to use.

In an earlier attempt I painted a model using Vallejo Model Air, then used a cheap clear coat, Hycote, before attempting to panel line with Tamiya Panel Line, with the intention of using paint thinner to rub away the over spill. Unfortunately, when I did this it did not really remove the over spill and when I gave it a bit of extra elbow grease it rubbed the paint off underneath. Also, the Hycote spray gave a pretty poor finish.

I then tried again with Tamiya TS-13, again over Vallejo Model Air, but this time the Tamiya Panel Line bled into the surrounding area and I had the same issue removing the over spill as before. However, I will say the finish was much better, although one can does not go very far!

I'm guessing the above could be due to using the clear coat and panel lining over acrylic based paints rather than enamel? I'm also guessing that the bleeding could have been caused due to the clear coat not being full dry. To be honest, I didn't leave it the full 24 hours and it's been pretty cold. Could anyone confirm or deny this?

Also, what can experienced airbrushers recommend as a good clear coat? I've seen lots of different suggestions, but most seem hard to come by (such as Pledge Floor Care).

Many thanks!

Pledge floor care ( future shine)

Is easy to come by, basically every wlamart has it. Or Amazon UK or...

It's just now called pledge "revive it floor gloss"

I don't really do models... Is the Tamiya panel line supposed to be a wash?

I don't think your issue is with acrylic paints, as once cleared it doesn't really matter what's under it .

I think it's that thevpanel line is able to soften or dissolve whatever clear you've tried.

I would guess it it would work over the Tamiya .. but you're probably right about the dry time.
I'd give it 36 if it's supposed to be 24.

Rarely do you have the 50 percent humidity paints are tested for dry time at.

Last edited:
Rust oleum 2x has impressed me.
But it's a little tricky to use as it levels out over a long period of time, so a perfect finish looks a bit rough when you first finish spraying

Rust oleum 2x has impressed me.
But it's a little tricky to use as it levels out over a long period of time, so a perfect finish looks a bit rough when you first finish spraying
Thanks!

Is this the stuff you mentioned? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-Future-Surface-Protect-Restore-x/dp/B000ARPH4C

I've seen quite a few videos where they use Tamiya panel line over a gloss coat but then come back with Airbrush thinner and a cloth to wipe it off leaving really crisp and clear panel lines.

However, I've just watched a video of Flory Models painting a Revell Star Destroyer where he used his own clay based wash wish no protective coat over the paint. When he removed it, it looked fantastic, so I'm tempted to give that a try.

That's the right stuff.

Yeah I'd say your dry time has more to do with it than anything.

I'm making an educated guess though.

You may find it easier to make a wash of acrylic to use over a solvent clear , then clear again after rather than the panel line.
That's what I did on props.

If you want a decent clear in an aerosol check out Spray Max. Not cheap, but a true 2k clear that's good for auto work, can be buffed,polished to glass finish, and I have striped over before. N.B. - once activated with hardener, it has to be used pretty much right away.

Pop over to the intro section and say hi. Folks will want to give you a proper welcome. They are nosy and will want to know what you do and what kit you have too, plus you can link this question and maybe get extra traffic.

I use the same 1 k or 2 k clear on models as I would a car. I never use paint thinner to remove over spray due to it is designed to keep the paint active while wet. which means it will reactivate the paint and remove it. Goo gone or wax and grease remover does cut out a lot of the over spray.
Over spray is main cause when your air pressure is to high so to reduce the amount of over spray try lowering you air pressure.
as for paint I use on models that would be the Wicked line made by Createx, Granted I have not build any models in about 6 years mainly due to both my son's are grown with life's of their own and that was something we did together.

Back