Clear coat question

A

aircustom

Alright so the main question would be can you shoot automotive clear over water based paint or does it cause it to bleed and run? Secondly if you cannot use auto clear what would u use that doesnt come in a rattle can?

Ive been using auto air and coating with auto acrylic clear. very light drop coat first then after letting that dry i apply another slightly heavier coat. let that dry completely then a good wet 3rd coat. Ive had a couple of items crack a week or 2 later but found that's usually from not allowing the water based paint to be fully dry first..or the clear coat to be dry before applying the next coat

It does take a little time and dont try rushing any part and applying addition coats before the previous coat has fully dried.. sometimes better if you save a few pieces to clear at the same time

good luck

Thanks alot I really appreciate the advice

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

spray a really light first coat. just so the clear and basecoat can get to know each other,lol. Let that flash off, usaully 7-10 minutes. then add a second coat pretty wet and a little slower than you sprayed the first. let that flash usually 15-20 min. then apply a final wet coat. If you have any questions usually consulting the tech sheet of the clear you are using. just remember first light coat to introduce the two and always let the coats flash completely or you will get wrinkling and solvent pop.

spray a really light first coat. just so the clear and basecoat can get to know each other,lol. Let that flash off, usaully 7-10 minutes. then add a second coat pretty wet and a little slower than you sprayed the first. let that flash usually 15-20 min. then apply a final wet coat. If you have any questions usually consulting the tech sheet of the clear you are using. just remember first light coat to introduce the two and always let the coats flash completely or you will get wrinkling and solvent pop.

I agree with Smayj here - don't let the clear coat completely dry between coats - the first coat they're talking about is commonly called a 'tack-coat' - you apply it lightly and when it is tacky to touch you apply a slightly wetter coat. to test how dry it is when you're clear coating your item, clear coat it along with another test piece of metal or equivalent material to what you're painting over. you can touch this piece and test for tackiness!

Back