Clear coating over E’tac EFX

GregStith

Air-Valve Autobot!
Anyone on here used 2k clear over EFX paint?
I used AG 2050 first as an intercoat. I heat set it for several minutes with a heat gun from a safe distance. Probably 30 minutes later I put some water on it as I was going to wet sand dust nibs out and the water started dissolving the paint. Now I have a major repair on my hands before I try to clear again later.

663D277E-8F3F-4BEC-8B4F-E53624BE141F.jpeg

Ouch! sorry to see you had this mishap. as far as I know once you ag 2050 it you don't touch it again. It's not like an automotive clearcoat where you sand off nibs and reclear. I recently brought a spray can of Liquitex varnish which works well but once it on that's it, I don't try to sand it or anything.

As for clearcoating over the efx I'd do at least 1 dust coat, maybe 2 before going a bit heavier, as long as you dont rewet the paint with the clear you should be ok. Do a small practice panel to check.

Last edited:
As for clearcoating over the efx I'd do at least 1 dust coat, maybe 2 before going a bit heavier, as long as you dont rewet the paint with the clear you should be ok. Do a small practice panel to check.

That’s exactly what I thought about doing initially and then I saw where another artist stated he always sprayed AG 2050 as an intercoat before sending it off to be cleared.

If the AG 2050 dissolved that easy with water then I don’t see how it could stand up to urethane clear.

the AG 2050 needs 24 hours to fully cure if you want it to hold up to water I always use a PS white as a base coat cover it with AG 2050 heat set it and leave it to cure for 24 hours before I do the art work with EFX .
when the art work is finished I protect it with the AG 2050 heat set and leave it to cure before I send it off for clear

I don’t know anything about Etac. The Createx UVLS clear is designed to stand up to weather and be left out doors. Even that needs to be left for 48hrs I think before being exposed to water. The rest of the range they say “do not wet sand”.
I realise Etac is a different animal, just comparing to another water based product.
Sorry you’ve got to fix this one up Buddy. That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the AG 2050 needs 24 hours to fully cure if you want it to hold up to water I always use a PS white as a base coat cover it with AG 2050 heat set it and leave it to cure for 24 hours before I do the art work with EFX .
when the art work is finished I protect it with the AG 2050 heat set and leave it to cure before I send it off for clear
Thank you Ronald. That’s very helpful

I don’t know anything about Etac. The Createx UVLS clear is designed to stand up to weather and be left out doors. Even that needs to be left for 48hrs I think before being exposed to water. The rest of the range they say “do not wet sand”.
I realise Etac is a different animal, just comparing to another water based product.
Sorry you’ve got to fix this one up Buddy.

That sucks.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s very interesting and useful. Thank you very much.
Looking back at it, it could have been way worse I guess. I definitely learned something on this one. DON’T DO THAT AGAIN!! :D

Thanks again buddy! :)

Back