Clear kote

• Thread starter Airbrushing newbie mike
  • Start date
A

Airbrushing newbie mike

Hey everyone,
does anyone know what will happen if i spray enamel clear kote on to a plastic model which has been sprayed with Vallejo acrylic paint???

Thanks

Mike

M

Madbrush

Hey everyone,
does anyone know what will happen if i spray enamel clear kote on to a plastic model which has been sprayed with Vallejo acrylic paint???

Thanks

Mike

Nothing will happen except you may end up with a nice shine, but if your not sure try a test piece first, if your clear isn't thinned with cellulose or special thinners it wouldn't be a problem, what is required to thin your clear coat, if it's turpentine or similar definitely no problem.

A

Airbrushing newbie mike

Ok thanks Madbrush. Il be using proper enamel thinners. I was just asking because iv heard that if you use different clear to the paint your using that it may make your paint bubble and react badly.

M

Madbrush

Ok thanks Madbrush. Il be using proper enamel thinners. I was just asking because iv heard that if you use different clear to the paint your using that it may make your paint bubble and react badly.

read the specs for your clear coat's thinners, if the paint is one component it is usually loosely based on turpentine, similar to humbrol enamel model paints, so putting this on top of acrylic paint will have no effect as long as your acrylic paint is dry, generally the thinners will have it's own name, but is basically turpentine which has been more refined than the stuff you would buy at the do it yourself shop.

Also check the maximum amount of thinners you can add, adding too much thinners cause a phenomenon we call "Blooming" which is loss of shine or a detrimental effect on the desired finish, the same happens when applying normal household gloss paint in too low a temperature leaving you with an ugly un-uniformed semi mat finish.

A

Airbrushing newbie mike

Ok il check it out and let you know how i get on.

Thank for your help pal :)

M

Madbrush

Ok il check it out and let you know how i get on.

Thank for your help pal :)

That's why we are all here Mike, I'm an idiot with an airbrush, but I do know some other handy stuff, lol, post your model when your done, I fly model planes and do all the repairs for my flight buddies, which is also fun, there quite a few modelers on the forum, all started airbrushing more or less for the same reason, so I'm always interested in the models whatever they are.

K

kaiilla

The big problem I've heard of is Enamel and Uro don't like each other. I can't say for sure in that I've never used a Uro anything.